– Miss Smith. – There.
好明显
Distinctly.
你感觉到了吗 漏冷风
Do you feel it? A chill draft.
让人生病的冷风漏进来了
A chill and sickly draft.
她是个私生女
She’s a natural child.
没人知道她的父母是谁 连她自己都不知道
Nobody knows her parentage, not even Miss Smith herself.
是不是很神秘
Is that not mysterious?
泰勒小姐要是在 肯定能感觉到
Miss Taylor would have felt it.
你身世的不幸 哈丽特小姐
The misfortune of your birth, Harriet,
应该让你跟熟人相处时谨小慎微吧
ought to make you particularly careful as to your associates.
你一定是一位绅士的女儿
There can be no doubt of your being a gentleman’s daughter.
你一定要尽一切所能
You must support your claim to that station
落实自己的社会地位
by everything within your power.
伍德豪斯小姐
Know you the Martins,
你认识修道院磨坊农场的马丁一家吗
Miss Woodhouse, of Abbey Mill Farm?
我知道他们是佃农
I know that they are tenant farmers.
他们从奈特利先生那里租了农场
They rent their farm from Mr. Knightley.
他们这个夏天对我特别好
They were ever so kind to me this summer.
谢谢
Thank you.
我去学校的时候 马丁先生特别贴心地
When I went away, Mrs. Martin was so very kind
送给戈达德夫人一只漂亮的鹅
as to send Mrs. Goddard a beautiful goose.
戈达德夫人说 那是她见过的最美的鹅
The finest goose Mrs. Goddard had ever seen, she said.
马丁一家人正是那种
The Martins are of precisely the order of people
我觉得不会和我有交集的阶层
with whom I feel I can have nothing to do.
比我低一两个阶层的人 我可能还有兴趣
A degree or two lower might interest me.
要是他们非常穷
If they were very poor,
我希望自己能在某些方面帮到他们 但…
I might hope to be useful to them in some way, but…
一个农民用不上我的帮助
a farmer can need none of my help
所以我怎样都不会关注到他
and is therefore as much above my notice as he is below it.
罗伯特·马丁先生有天走了近五公里
Mr. Robert Martin went three miles one day
就为了给我送核桃
to bring me walnuts
因为他知道我有多喜欢核桃
because he knew how fond I was of them.
我相信他很聪明
I believe he’s very clever.
他什么都懂
He understands everything.
好啦
Come.
喝完茶 我们去拜访亲爱的韦斯顿夫人
After tea, we shall call on my dear Mrs. Weston.
我们说好要每天见面
We promised we should be seeing one another every day.
你帮我们主持的婚礼非常完美 埃尔顿先生
It was a beautiful service, Mr. Elton.
我居然不是今早第一个来拜访你的
I’m not the first to visit you this morning.
做第二位客人 我也同样热烈欢迎
You are no less welcome for being the second.
埃尔顿先生 哈丽特·史密斯小姐
Mr. Elton, Miss Harriet Smith.
幸会
It is my great honor.
哈丽特 你得坐到那边
Harriet, you must sit over there
好欣赏恩斯库博的美景
so that you may admire the view of Enscombe.
它出自艺术家弗兰克·丘吉尔先生之手
Mr. Frank Churchill is the artist.
我听说它是约克郡最美的宅邸之一
I have heard it described as one of the finest houses in Yorkshire.
我也听说了
I have heard the same.
丘吉尔先生要继承整个庄园
And Mr. Churchill is to inherit the entire estate.
他非常富有
He is very fortunate.
我们有很多相仿之处
There is such symmetry between us.
我们都幼年丧母
We both lost our mothers when we were very young.
他要照顾舅妈 我要照顾爸爸
And he has his aunt to care for, as I have Papa.
但…我们面前就有一位活生生的美人
But how can we admire a painted beauty
我们何必还要欣赏画作呢
with such… loveliness before us in the flesh?
埃尔顿先生脾气真好
Mr. Elton is such a good-humored man.
那么开朗 乐于助人
So cheerful and obliging.
还很温柔
And gentle.
我觉得埃尔顿先生特别好
I think very well of Mr. Elton.
我很好奇 伍德豪斯小姐
I do so wonder, Miss Woodhouse,
你怎么还没出嫁
that you should not be going to be married.
你这么有魅力
So charming as you are.
普通女性结婚的那些原因 都跟我无缘
I have none of the usual inducements of women to marry.
我不想要财富
Fortune I do not want.
我不想要消磨时光
Employment I do not want.
我不想要后果
Consequence I do not want.
我相信 没有几个女性婚后
I believe few married women
能像我做哈特菲尔德的主人这般
are half as much mistress of their husband’s house
在她们丈夫家当家做主
as I am of Hartfield.
你明天一定要再来
You must come again tomorrow.
谢谢 伍德豪斯小姐
Thank you, Miss Woodhouse.
谢谢
Thank you.
♪ 我和太阳一同起床 ♪
♪ I like to rise when the sun she rises ♪
Country Life
♪ 日头初上 ♪
♪ Early in the morning ♪
♪ 我最爱鸟儿欢声歌♥唱 ♪
♪ I like to hear them small birds singing ♪
♪ 歌♥喉悠扬 ♪
♪ Merrily upon their laylum ♪
♪ 为乡间男孩献上赞扬 ♪
♪ And hurrah for the life of a country boy ♪
♪ 徜徉在芬芳的草垛旁 ♪
♪ And to ramble in the new-mown hay. ♪
伍德豪斯小姐 你中意哪个
Miss Woodhouse, which do you prefer?
他们几乎毫无二致
They are practically identical.
当然 深色更耐脏
Of course, if the dark gets dirty, it would not show.
-而浅色就… -那就深色
– But the light… – The dark, then.
浅色好看很多
The light is a good deal prettier.
伍德豪斯小姐 怎么了
Miss Woodhouse, what’s the matter?
伍德豪斯小姐
Miss Woodhouse.
伍德豪斯小姐
Miss Woodhouse.
你好
How do you do?
史密斯小姐 你也好
And you, Miss Smith.
我在窗外看到你了
I saw you through the window.
我在窗外看到你了
I saw you through the window.
伍德豪斯小姐 我有个喜讯
Miss Woodhouse, I bring happy news.
今天早上我们收到
We have had a letter this very morning
我侄女简·费尔法克斯的来信
from my niece, Jane Fairfax.
我希望她一切安好
I hope that she is well.
平日里 她会周二写信 但今天
In normal course, she writes on a Tuesday, but today was…
她身体好吗
Oh, her health.
伍德豪斯小姐 你问这个可真是有心了
Miss Woodhouse, you are so very kind to inquire.
可怜的简 她在韦茅斯
Poor Jane. She was at Weymouth
和坎贝尔上校住在一起
with Colonel Campbell and, uh…
对了 信去哪里了
Oh, where is the letter?
应该就在这附近
Oh, it must not be far off.
真是意外…
Oh, such an unexpected…
找到了 在手套架子上
Oh, it’s on the glove stand.
和手套放一起了 和手套放一起了
It was with the gloves. It was with the gloves.
对 在韦茅斯和坎贝尔上校
Yes, at Weymouth with Colonel Campbell
还有简的好朋友坎贝尔夫人住在一起
and his wife and Jane’s dear friend,
坎贝尔小姐不久前嫁人了
Miss Campbell, who is recently married.
她现在叫迪克森夫人了
She’s Mrs. Dixon now.
对了 还有 迪克森先生
And, oh, dear, Mr. Dixon,
真是个魅力十足的年轻小伙子
who is the most charming young man,
她为简主持了完美的仪式
rendered to Jane a great service in recent days.
他们…这个真漂亮啊
They were… Oh, too pretty. That is…
对了 他们去参加了一个水上宴会
Yes, they were out in a part… oh, in a party on the water,
简突然在风帆之间
and Jane, by the sudden whirling around
打了个转还是什么的
of something or other in the sails,
直接向海里冲去
would have been dashed to the sea at once…
就要香消玉殒了
and actually all but gone.
但是迪克森先生危急之中镇定自若
But Mr. Dixon, with the greatest presence of mind,
一把抓住了她的长袍 救了她的命
caught hold of her habit and saved her life.
想到可怜的简差点命丧黄泉
Oh, to think that poor Jane may have perished.
我想起来就忍♥不住会发抖 她已经是个孤儿了
I cannot think of it without shaking, she an orphan.
只要费尔法克斯小姐没事我就放心了
I am very pleased that Miss Fairfax was not harmed.
简一定会无比欣慰
How gratified Jane will be to know that she has
她的朋友是这般诚挚
such dear, devoted friends.
但愿就算我拿奈特利家的事来烦大家
Heaven forbid that I should ever bore anybody
也比不上贝茨女士念叨
half as much about all the Knightleys together
简·费尔法克斯时的一半让人讨厌
as Miss Bates does about Jane Fairfax.
光是”简·费尔法克斯”这个名字就让人听烦了
One is sick of the very name “Jane Fairfax.”
她的每封信都读了至少四十遍
Every letter from her is read 40 times over.
就算她只是织了双袜带
And if she does but knit a pair of garters,
贝茨女士也要念叨一整个月
one hears of nothing else for a whole month.