但我们会宽容的
but we shall, be indulgent…
奈特利先生 我一定让人很讨厌
Mr. Knightley, I must have made myself very disagreeable,
否则她不会对老朋友说出这样的话
or she would not have said such a thing to an old friend.
我想不出我做了什么
I cannot think what I have done.
字母表里有哪两个字母
What two letters of the alphabet are there
表示完美
that express perfection?
哪两个字母表示完美
What two letters …express perfection?
我肯定我不知道
I… I’m sure I do not know.
好 我告诉你
Well, I shall tell you.
“A”和”M” “爱玛”
“M” and “A.” “Emma.”
你懂了吗
Do you understand?
是 韦斯顿先生向我们展示了这游戏怎么玩
Yes. Mr. Weston has shown us how to play this game
同时游戏也结束了
but also how to end it,
谁能超越完美呢
for who can improve upon perfection?
我表示 我得走了
I protest, I must be excused.
我不会假装聪明
I do not pretend to be a wit.
我必须判断出
I really must be allowed to judge
什么时候该说话 什么时候该沉默
when to speak and when to hold my tongue.
我们走吧 奥古斯塔
Shall we walk, Augusta?
乐意之至
Most willingly.
我厌倦了在一个地方待这么久
I am very tired of exploring so long on one spot.
我们和埃尔顿夫人一起走吧 夫人
Shall we join Mrs. Elton, ma’am?
如果你愿意 亲爱的
If you please, my dear.
我非常想离开
With all my heart, I am quite ready.
你怎么能对贝茨女士那么无情
How could you be so unfeeling to Miss Bates?
事情没那么糟糕
It was not so very bad.
你怎么能对她这种性格
How could you be so insolent to a woman of her character
这把年纪 这种境遇的女人如此无礼呢
and-and-and age and-and situation?
我敢说她不懂我的意思
I dare say she did not understand me.
我向你保证她懂
I assure you she did.
她完全理解你的意思
She felt your full meaning.
她一直在谈论这件事
She has talked of it since.
我知道这世界上没有谁比谁更高一等
I know there is not a better creature in the world…
我希望你能听听她谈到这件事时
I wish you could have heard how she talked of it–
有多坦率 大方
w-with what candor and-and generosity.
你得承认她身上不幸地
You must allow that what is good and what is ridiculous
混杂着善良与荒谬
are most unfortunately blended in her.
的确是 我承认
They are blended in her, I acknowledge.
假如她是一个富有的女人
And were she a woman of fortune,
我不会为了任何举止上的自♥由♥而与你争吵
I would not quarrel with you for any liberties of manner,
可是她很贫穷
but she is poor.
她本来生活优越 现在却坠入贫困
She has sunk from the comfort she was born to,
如果她活到晚年 可能还会愈加困难
and if she lived to an old age, she will probably sink more.
-天太热了 -她看着你长大
– It is too hot, and… – She has seen you grow up
-从小她对你的关注就是种眷顾 -我累了
– from when her notice of you was an honor. – And I am tired!
却换来你现在 轻率鲁莽
To have you now, in thoughtless spirits
高傲自大地
and the pride of the moment,
嘲笑她 羞辱她
laugh at her and-and humble her,
还是当着她侄女和其他人的面
and before her niece and before others,
他们很多人完全被你对她的态度所引导
many of whom are entirely guided by your treatment of her!
这种做法真的很糟糕
It was badly done, indeed!
走了
Go!
我虚荣得不可原谅
I have been unpardonably vain…
傲慢得不可理喻
and insufferably arrogant.
我考虑不周
I have been inconsiderate…
出言不逊 无理取闹 冷酷无情
and indelicate and irrational and unfeeling and…
简恐怕不太舒服
I’m afraid Jane is not very well.
头疼得厉害
Dreadful headache.
一早上都在写信
Writing all morning.
长长的信
Such long letters.
我说 “亲爱的 你眼睛会瞎的”
I said, “My dear, you shall blind yourself.”
我十分抱歉 贝茨女士
I’m so very sorry, Miss Bates.
请替我向简问好
Please give Jane my good wishes.
让你在门口久等了
You were kept waiting at the door.
我感到很羞愧
I was quite ashamed.
不 你 你看 有点忙乱
No, you… you see, there was a little bustle,
因为我们没听到敲门声
for it so happened we did not hear the knock,
你上了楼梯
and until you were on the stairs,
我们才知道有人来了
we did not know that anybody was coming.
你太好了
So very kind.
不过你一直都很好 伍德豪斯小姐
But you are always kind, Miss Woodhouse.
爱玛
Emma.
她们情况如何
How did you find them?
爱玛去拜访贝茨夫人和贝茨女士了
Emma has been to call on Mrs. and Miss Bates,
奈特利先生 她总是很关心她们
Mr. Knightley. She is always so attentive to them.
很遗憾我不能留下来 先生
I regret I cannot stay, sir.
晚上我们会想你的
We will miss you in the evening.
再见 爱玛
Goodbye, Emma.
发生什么事了
What has happened?
丘吉尔夫人死了
Mrs. Churchill is dead.
死了
Dead?
是的 我们一直以为她生病的事是编的 可是
Yes, we-we always thought her illness was invented, but…
爱玛
Emma.
弗兰克今天早上还在这里
Frank was here this very morning
办一件非同寻常的事
on the most extraordinary errand.
我们的惊讶之情难以言表
It is impossible to express our surprise.
弗兰克和简·费尔法克斯订婚了
Frank and Jane Fairfax are engaged.
什么
What?
自从十月份以来 他们之间就有了庄严的婚约
There’s been a solemn engagement between them ever since October.
是在韦茅斯订婚的 瞒着所有人
Formed at Weymouth and kept a secret from everybody.
什么
What?
订婚了
Engaged?
在他们两人来海布里之前
Before either of them came to Highbury?
秘密订婚
Secretly engaged.
当然 要是他舅妈知道的话
Of course, had his aunt heard of it,
肯定会剥去他的继承权
she would have cut him off, but…
爱玛 这让我很伤心
It has hurt me, Emma, very much.
这也让他爸爸很伤心
It has hurt his father equally.
钢琴是他送的
He sent the pianoforte.
他承认了
He has confessed it.
爱玛 你一定知道我们本来的愿望
Emma, you must know it was our darling wish.
不 不
No, no.
不是为我
Not for me.
我非常抱歉 哈丽特
I’m so very sorry, Harriet.
可你为什么要来安慰我
But why should you condole me?
你不会以为我在乎弗兰克·丘吉尔先生吧
You do not think I care about Mr. Frank Churchill?
就在不久之前你确实
There was a time, and not very distant, either,
让我相信
when you gave me reason to believe
-你在乎他 -他
– that you did care about him. – Him?
从来没有
Never.
亲爱的伍德豪斯小姐 你对我误解太深了
Dear Miss Woodhouse, how could you so mistake me?
哈丽特 你是什么意思
Harriet, wh-what do you mean?
我根本没想到
I should not have thought it possible
你会误解我的心意
that you could have misunderstood me.
是你告诉我 更加美好的姻缘也曾发生过
But you told me that greater things had happened.
身份差距更大的人也曾结合在一起
That there had been matches of greater disparity.
这都是你的原话 伍德豪斯小姐
Those were your very words, Miss Woodhouse.
哈丽特
Harriet.
我们现在还是把话说清楚
Let us understand each other now
以免今后再有误解
without possibility of further mistake.
你说的是奈特利先生吗
Are you speaking of Mr. Knightley?
当然是
Of course.
-但是 -我以为你知道的
– But… – I thought you knew.
难道不是你被吉普赛人袭击时
But the service Mr. Churchill rendered you
丘吉尔先生保护你的时候的付出吗
i-in protecting you from the gypsies.
不 不是
Oh, no.
不是吉普赛人那件事
It was not the gypsies. No.
是从另一个更加珍贵的事件开始的
I was thinking of a much more precious circumstance.
是从奈特利先生邀请我跳舞的时候开始的
Of Mr. Knightley’s coming and asking me to dance.
那时埃尔顿先生不愿意与我共舞
When Mr. Elton would not stand up with me.