喝吧
Here.
喝点酒来醒醒酒
A little bit of the hair of the dog that bit you.
走吧
Come on now.
老爸跟她是怎么遇上的
How did Dad meet her?
她从哪里来的
Where’d she come from?
没人知道她哪里来的
Nobody ever knew where she come from, really.
那个时候有很多流浪的人
There were a lot of drifters in those days.
大家都一样
Of all the people.
大家都一样
Of all the people.
他为什么娶她
How come he married her?
你不晓得她那时有多美 卡尔
You have no idea how pretty she was, Cal.
年轻又充满活力
Young and full of spirit.
你父亲又对农场外的地方不熟
And your father hadn’t been off the ranch much, you know.
他不是很世故的人
He’s not a worldly man.
-是她射伤他的 -对
-Did she shoot him? -Yes, she did.
为什么
How come?
我不知道
I don’t know.
因为他对她做了什么事
Did he do something to her?
-他伤害了她 -不
-Did he hurt her? -No.
他不会伤害她的
It wasn’t in him to hurt her.
她离闲复 他说死了
After she left him, he died.
他仍然四处走动 但却了无生趣
He walked around, but he died.
他一定做了什么伤害了她
He must have done something to hurt her.
不 完全没有
No. No, sir.
他给了她一切女人想要的东西
He gave her everything that any woman could ask for.
要知道 你父亲比我所知的任何人
You see, your father has more kindness…
都要和善且有良知
and more conscience than any man that I’ve ever known.
卡尔 他是个好人 别看扁他了
He’s a good man, Cal. Don’t sell him short, boy.
会成功的
It’s going to work…
只要我能保持得够冷够久
if only I can keep them cold enough long enough.
一定会成功的
It’s going to work.
-好 来了 试试看吧 -退后 女孩们
-All right, there she is. Let’s try it. -Step back, girls.
好 放上来 快点
All right, bring her on. Come on.
-现在你说会不会成功 哈哈哈 -一定会成功的
-Now do you think it’ll work? Ha-ha-ha. -It sure will!
萨里纳山谷莴苣
-早安 崔斯克先生 -早安
-Good morning, Mr. Trask. -Good morning.
有人把我们的煤道给弄下马车了
Somebody swiped our coal chute right off the wagon.
老天 真是每况愈下了
Dear, dear. Times are getting pretty lawless.
都因为欧洲有战争
It’s this war in Europe.
目无法纪正在国内四处蔓延
There’s a wave of lawlessness spreading through the country.
总之 有人弄走了我们的滑道
Anyway, somebody swiped our chute.
-你在那里装卸吗 -对
-Is that where you’re loading? -Yeah.
那我们走了 再见 崔斯克先生
We’ll move on, then. Good day, Mr. Trask.
都因为欧洲的战争
It’s this war in Europe.
卡尔
Cal
-你知道艾伦在哪吗 -呃
-Do you know where Aron is? -Uh…
他去菜园了 去检查
He’s out in the fields. He’s checking.
我能帮忙吗
Can I do something for you?
不 我只是有事想跟他谈谈
No. There were just some matters I want to talk over with him.
那边那个是什么
What have you got there?
我想这样能节省时问 所以我就
Oh, well, I figured it would save some time. So I…
非常聪明 卡尔 是你想到的吗
It’s very ingenious, Cal. Very ingenious. Did you think of it?
对
Yep.
我很欣赏你办事的方式
I’m very pleased with the way you’re taking hold…
让一切顺利进行 卡尔
and are working so well, Cal.
谢谢 谢谢老爸
Thanks. Thanks, Dad.
大家该去吃午餐了 时问到了
Think you better have your lunch now. It’s time.
嗨 卡尔
Hi, Cal.
-艾伦去菜园了 -我带来他的午餐
-Aron’s out in the field. -I brought his lunch.
-好 我拿去给他 -卡尔
-Well… Okay, I’ll take it to him. -Cal.
莉蒂亚 快走
Lydia, vamoose.
他待会就来
He’ll be here in a minute.
我替艾伦做午餐 如果你吃完喜欢的话 我也可帮你做
I’ve been fixing Aron’s lunch. I’ll fix yours too if you like after this.
不 谢谢
No, thanks.
如果我不在 你会跟她一起吃吗
Would you be eating with her if I weren’t here?
谁
Who?
不 我没要她来这里
No, I didn’t ask her to come up here.
很多女孩子追你 是吗
Girls follow you around, don’t they?
-她会烦扰到你吗 -不 不会
-Does she bother you? -She doesn’t bother me.
她是谁
Who is she?
我以前从没见过她
I never saw her before in my life.
是喔
I’ll bet.
你真的很认真在做莴苣的事 对吧 卡尔
You’re really working at this lettuce business, aren’t you, Cal?
你想一切会顺利吗
Do you think it’ll turn out all right?
如果不顺利 你父亲会损失很多钱
Your father will lose quite a lot of money if it doesn’t.
大概是他所有的钱
Just about all he’s got.
我喜欢你父亲
I like your father.
是吗
Do you?
我有一次丢掉了3千美金
I threw away about $3,000 once.
是吗
Yeah?
-我13岁时 -你把钱丢掉
-When I was 13. -You threw it away?
大概值一个钻石戒指吧
It was a diamond ring worth about that.
至少我父亲说他付那个价钱
At least my father told me that’s what he paid for it.
我把它丢进河里 让我爸气得半死
I threw it in the river. Made Dad terribly angry.
我想也会
I reckon it would.
但我原谅了他 从此以复我们处得不错
But I forgave him. And it’s been all right ever since.
-你原谅他 -对
-You forgave him? -Yes.
你把他价值3千美金的戒指丢进河里 所以你原谅他
You forgave him because you threw a ring of his worth $3,000 into the river?
-没错 -你原谅他
-That’s right. -You forgave him?
哈哈哈
Ha-ha-ha.
篮子里有蛋吗
Is there an egg in this basket?
你看 我以为他不爱我 这让我觉得糟糕极了
You see, I thought he didn’t love me. That made me feel awful.
女孩子非常爱父亲的
Girls love their fathers terribly.
是吗
Do they?
我母亲在我13岁时死了
My mother died when I was 13…
父亲很快又再婚 你知道这件事吗
and Dad got married again soon after that. Did you know that?
不 我不知道
No, I didn’t know that.
-你对我的事没兴趣听 -有
-Are you interested in hearing about me? -Yeah.
我爸要再婚 让我觉得难过死了
When Dad got married again, it made me sick.
我恨每一个人
I just hated everybody.
我总是坐着 瞪着大家
I used to sit and just glare at people…
或我完全不回答别人问我的话
or I wouldn’t even answer when they spoke to me.
-你为什么告诉我这些 -我想说
-Why you telling me all this? -I want to.
我那样过了好几个月 我就是讨厌所有人
I was that way for months. I just hated everybody.
我以为这世上没人爱我
And I thought nobody in the world loved me.
那真是难受
And it was awful.
然复我找到我爸要给新妈妈的这个戒指
Then I found this ring that Dad gave my new mother…
-所以我拿走然复把它丢进河里 -很好
-so I took it and threw it in the river. -Good.
我就知道你会喜欢
I thought you’d like that.
-他有找回来吗 -没有
-Did he ever find it? -Never.
试过了
They tried.
他们把你怎样了
What’d they do to you?
爸爸惩罚我 但也不严重
Dad punished me. Not badly, I guess.
可是我觉得他根本不该惩罚我
But I felt he shouldn’t have punished me at all.
我觉得他应该因为我那么做 而更爱我
I felt he should have loved me more because I did it.
但他没有
But he didn’t.
很怪吧
Isn’t it funny?
我现在长大了
I’m grown up now…
但我了解孩子还是比了解大人多
but I still understand kids better than I do grownups.
你没长大多少啦
You’re not so grown-up.
-我已经很成熟了 -我们意见不同
-I’m very grown-up. -That’s a matter of opinion.
我很成熟了
I’m very grown-up.
比我父亲还成熟 因为我原谅他不了解我
More so than Dad, because I forgave him for not understanding.
从我原谅他的那一刻起
And the minute I forgave him in my mind…
我成觉好多了
I felt better.
现在我们处得很好
Now we get along fine.
我们爱对方 跟我在13岁时不同
We love each other. Not like we did when I was 13…
但够让我们共同生活 直到我结婚
but enough so we can live together till I get married.
他现在只是我父亲罢了 没什么特别
He’s just my father now. Nothing to rave about.
我还是不喜欢她 可是 她也只是个女人
I still don’t like her much, but then, she’s a woman.
天 那女孩很恨我吗