罗斯福总统对他们说
and President Roosevelt said to these peopIe,
“让我们所恐惧的只有恐惧本身”
‘”The only thing we have to fear is fear itself.”
他这么说是什么意思?詹姆士
What did he mean by that? James?
他是想说没什么克服不了的困难
I think he was trying to say there’s nothing really wrong.
因此,不要小题大做 – 也许
You know? So don’t get so emotionaI. -JAMES: Maybe.
也许他想说世界是美好的
Maybe he was saying that the world is good
我们只需团结在一起 共渡难关
and we need only work together to overcome our problems.
这是什么,康罗伊
ALO*YSIUS: What’s this, Mr. Conroy?
(MAN CHATTERING ON RADIO)
我不知道
I don’t know, Sister.
有根线在你耳朵你,你不知道?
You don’t know you have a wire coming out of your ear?
嗯 – 是吗?
No. -Huh?
Huh?
我真的不知道
No, Sister. I didn’t.
跟我出去,小子
You come with me, boy.
出去
Go.
谁知道罗斯福新政的内容是什么?
Who knows what the New Deal was?
ALL: (SINGING) The first noel
The angels did say
was to certain poor shepherds in fields as they lay
我喜欢这首歌♥
I Iove this song.
In fields where they lay keeping their sheep
On a cold winter’s night that was so deep
(SMALL BELL RINGING)
刚过去这个周日,你们觉得那个布道是关于什么的? 詹姆士修女
This past Sunday, what do you think that sermon was about? Sister James?
嗯?
Huh?
弗林神父的布道讲的是什么?
What was Father Flynn’s sermon about?
疑惑,他讲的是疑惑
Well, doubt. He was talking about doubt.
为什么? – 抱歉,修女,您意思是?
Why? -Excuse me, Sister?
布道所讲总是有原因的,对吧?
Well, sermons come from somewhere, don’t they?
是不是弗林神父自己有疑惑?
Is Father Flynn in doubt?
还是他关心的哪个人有疑惑?
Is he concerned that someone else is in doubt?
这你只有直接问他了
I suppose you’d have to ask him.
这不大合适
No, that would not be appropriate.
他是我的上司
He is my superior,
如果他有疑惑,他应该去找其他牧师忏悔
and if he were troubled he should confess it to a fellow priest
或者阁下 (对罗马天主教大主教的称呼)
or to the monsignor.
我们是不会和牧师交流私人信息的
We do not share intimate information with priests.
绝不 – 这是戒律
No. -That’s true.
我们在谈论什么?
What are we saying?
你们机灵着点
I want you all to be alert.
我很担心圣尼古拉斯学校 也许是庸人自扰
I am concerned, perhaps needlessly, about matters in St. Nicholas SchooI.
教书上的?
Academically?
雷蒙德修女,我没玩猜迷游戏
I was not inviting a guessing game, Sister Raymond.
(WIND BLOWING)
(SCHOOL BELL RINGING)
(ALL CHATTERING)
小姑娘,离她远点,坐好
Missy! Get away from her, and sit down.
我可以坐这里吗,阿洛伊修斯修女? – 当然
May I join you, Sister Aloysius? -Yes.
鸡丁炒面 – 维罗妮卡修女的最爱
ChiVn chow mein. -Sister Veronica’s favorite.
非常可口
It’s very good.
我喜欢面条,喜欢那口感
I Iike the noodIes. I Iike the crunch.
威廉·伦敦怎么了? – 我让他回家去了
What happened to William London? -I sent him home.
天啊,他还在流血吗? – 恩
Oh, dear. So he’s still bleeding? -Yes.
在看影片《效忠誓言》时
His nose just let loose
他的鼻子突然就流血不止
and started gushing during the Pledge of Allegiance.
无缘无故吗?
Was it spontaneous?
什么? – 流鼻血
What? -His nosebleed.
难不成还有其他原因? – 自己故意弄的
What else would it be? -Self-induced.
嗯哼
VERONICA: Mmm-hmm.
你是说你觉得
You mean you think
他是故意让自己流鼻血的?
he might have intentionally given himself a nosebleed?
正是
Exactly.
不可能
No.
詹姆士修女,你真是个单纯的人
You are a very innocent person, Sister James.
威廉·伦敦可不安分
William London is a fidgety boy.
如果你不一直盯着他 他会想方设法逃离课堂
If you do not keep right on him, he will do anything to escape his chair.
为了逃半天学 他都敢往自己脚上点火
He wouId set his foot on fire for half a day out of school.
让我帮你,你的袖子
Here. Sister, allow me to help you. Your sleeve.
TERESA: Uh-oh.
擦一下 – 非常感谢
Let’s see. -Oh, thank you, Sister.
维罗妮卡修女马上快失明了 – 太悲惨了
Sister Veronica is going blind. -Oh, how horrible.
要是让其他人发现 她肯定不能再呆在这里了
If they find out in the rectory, she’ll be gone.
所以要是她走不稳的话,扶扶她
So if she looks unsteady, take her hand.
通常来讲,我让经验最丰富的老师 来教八年级
Ordinarily I assign my most experienced teachers to eighth grade,
但我仍然有所约束
but I am working within constraints.
你能控制整个班级吗? – 我认为可以
Are you in control of your class? -I think so.
平常有许多调皮学生都是我来管教
Usually more students are sent down to me.
我在尽最大努力自己处理
I try to take care of things myself.
这可能会导致错误
That can be an error.
你要对我负责,我对阁下负责
You are answerable to me, I to the monsignor,
他对主教负责 一直到教皇
he to the bishop, and so on up to the Holy Father.
这是一条管理链,有效利用它
There is a chain. Make use of it.
糖果?
Candy?
治咳嗽的药
Cough drops.
也算糖果
Candy by another name.
唐纳德·米勒表现如何?
How is DonaId Miller doing?
一直很好 – 嗯
Steady. -Good.
那个女孩,奥兰
That girl, Noreen Horan.
我让她的座位尽量远离男孩子
I’ve seated her as far away from the boys as possible.
但是收效甚微 – 嗯
Doesn’t do much good. -Mmm.
尽量多看着她
Just get her through intact.
这是什么?
What’s this?
(SIGHING)
今年的风真是诡异莫测
The wind is so peripatetic this year.
难道真被我说准了? – 怎么了?
Is that the word I want? -JAMES: Is something the matter?
(INDISTINCT CHATTERING)
什么?
ALOYSIUS: What?
发生什么了? – 没事
JAMES: Is something the matter? ALOYSIUS: No.
为什么这么说,有什么不正常的地方? – 我没发现
Why? Is something the matter? -I don’t think so.
这样啊,那就没什么 – 哦
Well, then, nothing’s the matter then. -Yes.
这是? – 钢笔
What’s this? -A pen.
圆珠笔
A ballpoint pen.
学生可不许用圆珠笔做作业
The students are not using them for assignments, I hope.
当然不会
No, of course not.
真后悔当时竟允许使用油墨笔
I am sorry I allowed even catrtidge pens into this school.
如今这时代,总是想着偷懒
Always easy way out, these days.
(ALO*YSIUS SIGHS)
今日的疏忽终将酿成日后的大错
Every easy choice today will have its consequence tomorrow.
记住我说的 – 知道了
Mark my words. -Yes, Sister.
用圆珠笔他们就得使劲用力
Ballpoints make them press down.
使劲用力就会使字潦草
When they press down, they write like monkeys.
我不允许他们使用圆珠笔的 – 这一支就是
I don’t allow them ballpoint pens. -And yet here one is.
如今的人们都不在乎笔迹了
Penmanship is dying all across this country.
不会的
I hope not.
你应该定下规矩
You should frame something.
在黑板上张贴下 把教皇像挂出来
Put it up on the blackboard. Put the pope up.
不是这个教皇,他已经去世了
That’s the wrong pope. He’s deceased.
我才不管是哪个教皇 用这个你可以看到背后的情况
I don’t care what pope it is. Use the glass to see behind you.
要让孩子们知道你背后也有眼睛
Children should think you have eyes in the back of your head.
这样是不是太可怕了?
Wouldn’t that be a little frightening?
对那些调皮捣蛋的孩子来说是的
Only to the ones who are up to no good.
(SCHOOL BELL RINGING)
放松,把球投进去
FLYNN: Relax. Put it up there.
好了
All right, now.
从罚球线投球的要点在于控制好心理
The thing about shooting from the foul line is it’s psychological.
按照标准的程序
All right, come up with a routine.
首先调整好重心,左右轻微摆动臀部
You shift your weight, move your hips. . .
(BO*YS LAUGHING)
很好笑吗?拉尔夫
Yeah, you think that’s funny, Ralph?
当你罚球都不中时才好笑
You know what’s funny is you never getting a foul shot.
(BO*YS LAUGHING)
好了,集中注意力,按照程序来 这样你就不会紧张了
All right, concentrate on the routine, and you’ll forget to get tensed up.
好了,投吧,吉米
All right, go ahead, Jimmy.
(SWISHING)
好球,太好了,现在大家坐下
Good man. You listen. That’s good. All right, now sit down, everyone.
很好
Good.
说件其他事,我发现好多同学指甲很脏
On another matter, I’ve noticed several of you guys got dirty nails.
这可不是我所乐见的
All right, I don’t want to see that.
我不管你们的指甲留多长

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!