你能假装对蛋糕感到惊讶吗?
Can you pretend to be surprised about the cake?
她希望这是非常特别的。
She wants it to be very special.
哦,花岗岩的样品也进来了。
Oh, and the granite samples came in.
你能在明天回家的路上把它们捡起来吗?
Can you pick them up on your way home tomorrow?
-嗯-罗伯?
– Mmm. – Rob?
嗯?嗯,当然。
Hmm? Uh, sure.
你没事吧?
You okay?
是的。
Yes.
祝福我们,我们的主和你的礼物
Bless us, our Lord and thy gifts
我们将从你的恩惠中得到
which we are about to receive from thy bounty
通过基♥督♥我们的主,阿门。
through Christ our Lord. Amen.
谢谢你,上帝,谢谢你的家人。
Thank you, God. Thank you for our family.
谢谢。
Thank you.
-嗨,爷爷。-这到底是什么!
– Hi, Grammers. – What on earth!
我试着给你打电♥话♥,但你没有接电♥话♥。
I tried to call, but you weren’t picking up.
哦,好吧,你认识我。我的两个假膝。
Oh, well, you know me. My two fake knees.
你在这里做什么?
What are you doing here?
一个农民来看我。
A farmer came to see me.
威伯坦南特?
Wilbur Tennant?
你确实了解他。
You do know him.
我不跟他交往,如果那是你的意思。
I don’t socialize with him, if that’s what you mean.
在他的旁边有一个农场。
Inez Graham owned the farm next to his.
我过去常带你和贝丝在你小的时候。
I used to take you and Beth over there when you were little.
这就是那个地方?
That’s the place?
嗯。
Hmm.
-你骑那匹小马。-啊!
– You rode that pony. – Ah!
我喜欢那个地方。
I loved that place.
第一次看到一头母牛。
Saw a cow for the first time.
学会了挤奶。
Learned to milk it.
我记得你在那里坐了好几个小时
I remember you sittin’ there for hours
确保你能得到每一滴。
making sure you got every last drop.
就像你一样。
Just like you.
在那里。
There.
嗯。
Hmm.
所以你要帮助他?
So you gonna help him?
嗯?
Huh?
你上来了,垃圾堆在山上。
You come up the holler, dump’s up the hill.
自从我开始抱怨我的小溪,
Since I started complaining about my creek,
栅栏往上走,都被堵住了。
fence goes up. All blocked off.
嗨,我是罗伯。
Hi, I’m Rob.
桑德拉。
Sandra.
国家,我在帕克斯堡拜访过的任何一个兽医,
The State, any veterinarian I’ve called in Parkersburg,
他们不会回我的电♥话♥。
they will not return my phone calls.
就像我咬那只喂它的手。
Like I bite the hand that feeds.
-不,没关系,我已经。-这是一个苦胆。
– No, it’s all right. I’ve already… – This here’s a gall.
看看它的大小,从来没见过
Look at the size of it. Ain’t never seen
没有那么大,比心脏还大。
no gall that big. Bigger than the heart.
那是你的牛吗?
That your cows’?
看看他们的牙齿。
Look at them teeth.
黑如夜,这里。
Black as night. Here.
蹄子,都变成了自己。
Hoof, all turned in on itself.
我有一半的小牛生来就有蹄子。
Half my calves born with hooves like that.
肿瘤,我把后面的小母牛剪断了。
Tumor, I done cut off the back a heifer.
你的桌子上怎么会有这种感觉?
How’d ya like that on your table?
我在找什么?
What am I looking for?
你瞎了,孩子?
You blind, boy?
石头像我头上的毛一样白。
Stones as white as the hairs on my head.
漂白!这是化学物质,我告诉你。
Bleached! That’s chemicals, I’m telling ya.
我的动物喝这水。冷静点。
My animals drink this water. Cool off in ‘er.
给他们血腥的伤痕,他们死去的眼睛。
Get them bloody welts, them dead eyes.
向我收费,像疯子一样。
Charge at me, crazy-like.
那些曾经用我自己的手吃东西的动物。
Animals that used to eat out of my own hand.
剩下的人在哪里?
Where are the rest of them?
来吧。
Come on.
我要把它们埋起来。它们都是一家人。
Beginnin’, I’d bury ’em. Each one. They’re family.
它必须是如此之多,把它们堆起来,点燃……
It got to be so many, pile ’em up, set fire to…
你输了多少?
How many did you lose?
190。
190.
190头牛?
190 cows?
你告诉我什么都不对。
You tell me nothing’s wrong here.
这个垃圾填埋场并不总是在这里吗?
And this landfill wasn’t always here?
不,我的兄弟吉姆曾经在杜邦工厂挖沟渠。
No. My brother Jim used to dig ditches over at the DuPont plant.
病了,不能再做了。
Got sick, couldn’t do it no more.
有一天,他们来找他,提出要把他的土地买♥♥下来。
One day they come to him, offering to buy his land right up that holler.
他们没有承诺任何化学物质。
They promised no chemicals.
我假设你联♥系♥了杜邦公♥司♥?
And I assume you reached out to DuPont?
杜邦,州,联邦政♥府♥。
DuPont, the State, the Feds.
我给每个人都打了几十次电♥话♥。
I called everybody there is dozens of times.
-环保局终于出来了。-哦,他们做到了。
– EPA finally comes out here. – Oh, they did.
-都是为了一些报道。-上面写了什么?
– All for some report. – What did it say?
你觉得他们会给我看吗?
You think they’re gonna show me?
好的。
Okay.
他一整天都这样,好吧,继续。
He’s been like this all day. Okay. Go on.
当然,你是爸爸的完美天使。
Of course, you’re a perfect angel for Daddy.
-你拿到瓷砖了吗?-嗯,对不起。没有。
– Did you get the tile? – Um, I’m sorry. No.
罗伯。
Rob.
我今天没有开车进城,很抱歉。
I didn’t drive into town today. I’m sorry.
你说你没有开车进城是什么意思?
What do you mean you didn’t drive into town?
我必须去帕克斯堡。
I had to go to Parkersburg.
帕克斯堡?你为什么要去帕克斯堡?
Parkersburg? Why’d you have to go to Parkersburg?
我可能在那里有一个客户。
I may have a client there.
在西弗吉尼亚?你会有什么样的案子?
In West Virginia? What kind of a case would you have?
他是一个农民,他认识我的祖父。不是很好,但是……
He’s a farmer. He knows my Grammer. Not well, but…
你看到她了吗?你妈妈在吗?
So, you saw her? Was your mother there?
哦,来吧,莎拉。我没有偷偷去看我妈妈。
Oh, come on, Sarah. I didn’t sneak off to see my mother.
-那么,你为什么偷偷溜走?-我没有。
– So, why did you sneak off? – I didn’t.
今晚我们的演讲者对塔夫脱家族并不陌生。
Our speaker tonight’s no Stranger to the Taft family.
菲利普唐纳利,菲尔对我们,
Phillip Donnelly, Phil to us,
担任杜邦公♥司♥内部的法律顾问。
serves as in-house Corporate Counsel at DuPont.
不仅是美国最受尊敬的化学公♥司♥之一,
Not only one of America’s most revered chemical companies,
但是这个行业的少数巨头之一
but one of the few giants of the industry
-塔夫脱不代表。-还没有!
– that Taft doesn’t represent. – Not yet anyway!
这就是精神,詹姆斯。
That’s the spirit, James.
今晚我们邀请了菲尔,不仅仅是为了向他展示他的缺失,
We asked Phil here tonight, not just to show him what he’s missing,
但是听听我们这个行业的著名领导人是怎么说的
but to hear how a renowned leader of our industry
保持这种状态,欢迎菲尔唐纳利。
stays that way. Please welcome Phil Donnelly.
-祝我好运。-去拿吧,菲尔!
– Wish me luck. – Go get ’em, Phil!
谢谢。
Thank you.
在杜邦公♥司♥,我们不是为了化学品而生产化学品。
At DuPont, we’re not producing chemicals for chemical’s sake.
我们生产它们是为了人们的利益。
We’re producing them for people’s sake.
让人们的生活更轻松。
To make folks’ lives easier.
更快乐,更久。
Happier, longer.
这就是为什么通过化学更好的生活
That’s why better living through chemistry
这不仅仅是杜邦公♥司♥的口号♥。
is not just a slogan at DuPont.
这是我们的DNA。
It’s our DNA.
-嗨,罗伯。-你好,菲尔。
– Hey, Rob. – Hello, Phil.
-汤姆跟我说的是真的吗?-是的,这是真的。
– Is it true what Tom tells me? – Yeah, it’s true.
-嗯,很好。他们很幸运有你。-谢谢,菲尔。
– Well, good on them. They’re lucky to have you. – Thanks, Phil.
就像我总是告诉我的年轻同事,
Like I always tell my younger associates,
只要低下头去做这项工作。
just keep your head down and do the work.
谢谢,菲尔,我能问你一个奇怪的问题吗?
Thanks. Uh, Phil, can I ask you sort of an odd question?
射击。
Shoot.
威伯坦纳特叫什么名字?
Does the name Wilbur Tennant ring a bell?
-天网,你说了吗?-坦南特。
– Tennet, did you say? – Tennant.
不,我不记得了。
No. Not that I recall.
坦南特是西维吉尼亚州的农民。
Mr. Tennant’s a farmer from West Virginia.
他的财产与你的一个垃圾填埋场毗连,干流。
His property abuts one of your landfills, Dry Run.
他的牛已经生病了。
And his cows have been getting sick.
他认为可能是因为垃圾填埋场的径流流入了他的小溪。
He thinks possibly because of the runoff from the landfill into his creek.
你在跟我开玩笑。这是怎么来的?
You’re kidding me. How did this come to you?

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!