你前院的砂岩
in the front yard,
不知你是否愿意卖♥♥给我们
and if you’d be willing to sell it to us.
如果你想扔掉的话 我们能帮你处理
I mean, if you wanted to get rid of it, we’d take it off your hands.
你最近有跟凯尔亚兹谈过吗?
Have you talked to Kyle Yazzie lately?
他要帮你们建房♥子吗?
Is he gonna help you build your house?
应该是吧
I think so.
他会借我们挖土机
He’s gonna let me use his backhoe, anyway.
有了挖土机 你应该就能建花♥园♥了
Well, you should dig up a garden while you got the backhoe.
我们没想要有花♥园♥
We’re not really planting a garden.
只想种些沙漠植物 所以不用经常浇水
Just desert plants that we won’t have to water too much.
银柳不错
Russian olives, very nice.
是很好的庭荫树种
They make good shade trees.
要在花♥园♥里照顾那很麻烦
It’ll be tough to care for our garden,
因为我们不会完全搬过来
since we can’t really move out here full-time,
至少要等到我们女儿 高中毕业
at least not until our daughter gets through high school.
凯尔是个很棒的年轻人
Kyle’s a nice young man.
弹一手好班卓琴
Plays a good banjo.
他的孩子经常在我家附近玩
His kids have been out to play on our land.
我还蛮信任他的
I guess I trust him, all right.
有时候看不清楚数字
Can’t always see the numbers.
好吧 我会把砂岩给你们
Well, I guess I’ll give you that sandstone.
我们想付钱买♥♥
We’d wanna pay you for it.
那是以前建校舍用的 知道吗?
It was the old schoolhouse, you know?
城镇建立之初就有了
From when the town was settled.
他们从附近的大块砂岩上 切下来的
They cut it from the massive sandstone ’round here.
校舍在有教堂之前就建好了
They built that schoolhouse before they built the church.
我一直认为校舍比教堂漂亮
Always thought the schoolhouse must’ve been prettier than the church.
教堂很丑
I never thought it was a pretty church.
我们只想用本地的石头建
We want native stone to build with.
还有铁路轨砖 只要大小合适即可
Railroad ties, things that fit in.
我们之前有想切大块新石头 我们是想找找看
We thought before we cut new stone, we would look and see if we could
有没有现成已经切好…
find some that was already in blocks…
我和我哥哥 他已经死了
My brother and I, he’s dead now,
1966年 我们买♥♥下这块土地 那块石头当时就在了
when we bought this property in ’66, that stone was there.
那年我们建了这栋房♥子
We built this house that year.
请人建的
Had it built.
至今我还是想改造
Still have things to finish.
想在那建个后廊
Like that back porch.
我已经76岁了 也许永远也完成不了
76. Probably not gonna finish it.
好 那些砂岩归你们了
Okay. Yes, I’ll give you that sandstone.
如果你不想卖♥♥的话也没关系
You don’t have to sell it if you don’t want to.
只是吉娜想让新家更贴近自然
It’s just that Gina wants this new house to be authentic.
你甚么时候需要?
When do you need it?
事情是这样
Well, as it happens,
莱恩的弟弟有一台平板卡车 一周后能借我们
Ryan’s brother has a flatbed truck that we could use the week after next.
我们现在只须找些人手来帮忙
So we just have to hire some help, or find some help.
好吧
Okay.
你们暂时可以先拿去
Tentatively, you can have it.
再给我一点时间考虑一下
I wanna think a little more.
好吧 如果你改变主意 也没关系
Okay, well, if you change your mind, no problem.
就这样吧
Okay.
让我帮你们开门
Here. Let me get that door.
谢谢
Thank you.
几天后再打给你好吗?
We can call you in a couple days?
我们也会将电♥话♥留给你
We’ll leave you our numbers, too.
看你何时方便
Whatever’s best for you.
这里有好多石头
You know, it’s a lot of rock.
看 是鹌鹑
Look, quail.
真的
Yeah.
我老听见他们叫
I hear them all the time.
他们的叫声就像…
Their call is… Is like… It goes…
听起来像 “你好吗?你好吗?”
Sounds like, “How are you? How are you?”
然后回答像这样…
Then the answer, it goes…
“我很好、我很好”
“I’m just fine. I’m just fine.”
是啊
Yeah.
那些石头不够建一个房♥子 一面墙倒可以
There’s not gonna be enough for a whole house, but a wall, maybe.
石堆移走后 我们就能种一些树
We could plant some trees where the rock pile is.
莱恩可以帮你
Ryan’d help you.
亲爱的 给他我们的名片 上面有我们的电♥话♥
Honey, give him our card, so that he has our numbers.
这几个号♥码都能打
All of those numbers will work.
你老婆为你工作
Your wife works for you.
你真幽默
That’s funny.
不 其实她才是老板
No, she’s the boss, actually.
天气转暖时 来我们家走走
You’ll come out to our place when the weather gets warmer.
别再跌倒了
And no more falling down.
我也不想
I don’t plan to.
如果你想卖♥♥的话 想个好价钱
And if you wanna sell, think of a good price.
我不太懂石头的行情
I don’t know how much rock costs.
我饿坏了
I’m starving.
老天 你真的一点忙也没帮
God, you really weren’t helping me at all.
我有 我当时也在场
I was helping. I was in there.
怎么帮 一直提醒他 不需要把石头卖♥♥给我们吗?
What, by repeatedly telling him that he didn’t have to sell to us?
我只想给他一些斡旋空间
I just wanted to give him some wiggle room.
我突然觉得不太值得
It almost didn’t feel worth it.
我觉得他知道他可能用不到了
I thought he knew he wasn’t gonna use it.
你打算还回去吗?
You wanna give it back?

No.
反正别人也会拿走
Someone else’d just take it.
你觉得他有听懂吗?
You sure he understood?
或许我们该想想 帮他做点事
We just have to think of something really good to do with it.
免得心里过意不去
Then it won’t feel so sad to take it.
…一个神秘王国
…is a mysterious realm,
充满危险和希望
full of danger and full of promise.
一个期待被发掘的新国界
A new frontier just waiting to be explored.
你们好
Hello.
我以前没教过课
I’ve never done this before.
不知道该怎么开始
Don’t quite know where to start.
你们想要自我介绍吗?
Y’all wanna introduce yourselves?
我们彼此都认识
We all know each other.
要不要说说 你们对学校法认识多少?
Wanna tell me what you already know about school law?
我们什么都不知道
I don’t think we know anything.
好吧
Okay.
贝丝
好吧 我们就从头开始吧
Okay. Well, guess we’ll just start at the beginning.
“国家应免费提供公共教育
“The idea that the state must provide a free public education
“而且儿童有义务去上学 这早在16♥4♥2年就被提出
“and that children can be required to go to school goes back to 16♥4♥2,
“那年 第一条那样的律法 在麻州通过
“when the first such laws were passed in Massachusetts.
“到1918年 所有州都通过相关律法
“By 1918, all states had passed such legislation.
“法律规定 学生拥有教育的权利 不能任意剥夺
“It’s been said that ‘students do not leave their rights at the schoolhouse door.’
“美国最高法♥院♥于1975年 在高斯和洛佩兹一案中
“The United States Supreme Court has ruled in a case called Goss v. Lopez,
“裁决写道 学校开除学生
“which was decided in 1975, that ‘a school district
“必须要经过
“‘cannot just expel a student
“一连串的特定程序”
“‘without following some type of procedure.'”
那程序是指 “法定诉讼程序”
That procedure is referred to as “due process.”
与嫌疑犯被收押前 有权上诉的
The same with a criminal defendant being entitled to due process
权利一样
before being locked up,
学生有权要求 学校不能任意开除他们
the student is entitled to the same before you can expel them.
如果开除学生 不让其复学可以吗?
Can a student be expelled, and then not let back in?
学生可以对我大放厥词 然后…
Can a student say anything he wants to me and just get…
嘿 你不走吗?
Hey. You stayin’?
我要走了
No.
你报名这堂课了吗?
Are you registered for this class?
没有 我只是看很多人进来
No, I just saw people coming in.
我得在今晚开车回利文斯顿
I have to drive all the way back to Livingston tonight.
这辈子没干过这样的蠢事
Never done anything so stupid in my life.
利文斯顿?
Livingston?
你知道哪有东西可以吃吗?
Hey, do you know where I can get some food?
我可以带你去餐馆
Yeah, I could show you where the diner is.
太好了
That’d be great.
–对 –谢谢
Yeah. – Thank you.
跟我来

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!