你父亲在普罗维登斯卖♥♥我父亲的汽车,是吗?
Your father sells my father’s automobiles in Providence, doesn’t he?
是的。
Yes.
那你觉得如果你有机会他会喜欢吗
Well, then, do you think he’d like it if you had a chance…
对我表示友好却没做?
to do me an act of friendship and didn’t do it?
如果有一天他醒来,我父亲拿走了…
What if he woke up one day, and my father took away…
他把所有的汽车都卖♥♥了,然后说:
all the automobiles he let him have to sell and said:
“你被解雇了。”
“You’re fired.”
你知道有多少人失业吗?
You know how many people are out of jobs?
数以百万计的人。
Millions of people.
他们都饥肠辘辘,衣衫褴褛。
And they’re all hungry and in rags.
他们不能送儿子上学。
They can’t send their sons to school.
你还没到工作的年龄……
You’re not old enough to work…
所以你不得不和你的父母出去乞讨。
so you’d have to go out with your mother and father and beg.
那肯定很可怕……
And that certainly would be awful…
让你母亲穿着破衣烂衫坐在那里…
to have your mother sitting there, all dressed up in rags…
吃烂面包之类的东西。
and eating rotten bread and things like that.
那不是很可怕吗?
Wouldn’t that be terrible?
你父亲不能那样做。
Your father can’t do that.
听着,查尔斯,我不想让他这么做。
Now look, Charles, I don’t want him to do it.
我只是说我不想让他做这件事。
I just say I don’t want him to have to do it.
我知道他们不会让你进来的。
I know they won’t let you in.
加达先生将继续……
Monsieur Gattard will continue with…
星期四的第二和第三中法语……
second and third form French on Thursdays…
将取代斯皮策博士的科学部门
which will replace Dr. Spitzer’s science section…
推迟到周五下午。
moved up to Friday afternoon.
这将给斯皮策博士更多的时间打高尔夫球。
That will give Dr. Spitzer more time for golf.
——谢谢。-这就够了,先生们。
– Thank you. – That covers everything, gentlemen.
我们将在明晚的全体教员例会上再次开会。
We’ll reconvene at tomorrow night’s regular faculty meeting.
-哦泰勒先生——是的,先生?
– Oh, Mr. Tyler. – Yes, sir?
哈里森的医生认为他需要再休息一个月。
Harrison’s doctor feels he needs another month’s rest.
你能把拉丁语的一阶学过来吗?
Could you possibly take over first form Latin?
哦,我想是的。
Oh, I think so.
我想你可能会喜欢额外工作能带来的薪水。
I thought you might like what added salary the extra work would bring.
你真是太好了,芬利博士。
Well, that’s very kind of you, Dr. Finley.
你摆脱了去年冬天的困难了吗?
Did you get straightened away from last winter’s difficulties all right?
是啊,既然你这么说了…
Yes, and now that you’ve brought that up…
-我不知道该怎么感谢你…-别客气,鲍勃。
– I don’t know quite how to thank you… – Oh, don’t mention it, Bob.
从现在开始,这应该会让事情变得容易一些。
This ought to make things easier from now on.
-是的,先生,非常感谢,先生-很高兴,鲍勃
– Yes, sir. And thank you very much, sir. – Glad to do it, Bob.
你好,查尔斯。有什么事吗?
Hello, Charles. What’s the matter?
哈维·谢恩能让他父亲为所欲为吗?
Can Harvey Cheyne make his father do anything he wants?
我不这么想。为什么?
I don’t think so. Why?
他说如果我们不让他和波吉·威廉姆斯还有阿尔文·萨维奇…
He says if we don’t let him and Pogey Williams and Alvin Savage…
加入水牛……
join the Buffaloes…
-我得离开学校了。——什么?
– I’ll have to leave school. – What?
我不知道该怎么办。他把它给了我。
I don’t know what to do with this. He gave it to me.
这东西太贵重了,他不会收回的。
It’s awful valuable, and he won’t take it back.
他给你的?
He gave you this?
他说如果他不捉到水牛…
He says if he doesn’t get in the Buffaloes…
他会让他父亲接管我父亲的汽车生意。
he’ll get his father to take away my father’s automobile business.
这太荒谬了,查尔斯。
Well, that’s absurd, Charles.
嗯,他想上校报……
Well, he wanted to be on the school paper…
他还让他父亲给了他一台新印刷机,不是吗?
and he got his father to give a new printing press, didn’t he?
所以他们不得不让他进来,不是吗?
So they had to let him on, didn’t they?
-他总是…-进来,查尔斯。来在这里。
– He’s always… – Come in here, Charles. Come in here.
来吧。我们现在必须设置类型。
Come on. We’ve got to set type up now.
-没有地方再放了。-他写了什么?
– There isn’t room for any more. – What did he write?
-是关于他的假期。-我想要的不止这些。
– It’s about his vacation. – I want more than this in.
没有地方再放了。
There isn’t room for any more.
如果你想要更多,你应该早点写。
If you wanted more, you ought to write it sooner.
给它。
Give it here.
嘿,把那个给我!我想再写一些。
Hey, give that here! I want to write some more.
我们告诉泰勒先生他可以在5点读校样。
We told Mr. Tyler he could read proof at 5:00.
我也不在乎你对待我就好像我不是这里的编辑一样。
I don’t care. You treat me like I wasn’t one of the editors here.
哦,你用“like”作为连词。
Oh, you used “like” as a conjunction.
-我没有。-是的,你说了。
– I did not. – Oh, yes, you did.
这样你就多欠了傻瓜箱10美分。
That makes 10 cents more you owe to the dunce box.
是啊,你还没付清说”要么”的钱…
Yeah, and you still haven’t paid up for saying “either, or”…
而不是今天中午在餐厅里说的“neither, nor”。
instead of “neither, nor” down at the dining hall this noon.
我没有……
I did not…
来吧。你证明得太慢了。
Come on. You’re awful slow with that proof.
-还没准备好,泰勒先生。-是的,我想是的。
– It’s not ready yet, Mr. Tyler. – Yes, so I assume.
你有半个小时。
You have half an hour.
过来,哈维。我想和你谈谈。
Come here, Harvey. I want to talk with you.
迟到是他们的错。他们不让我……
It’s their fault it’s late. They wouldn’t let me…
哈维,我把第一版的《金银岛》放在你房♥间里了
Harvey, I put that first edition of Treasure Island in your room.
哦,你做了吗?谢谢。
Oh, you did? Thanks.
这是一份很好的礼物,但查尔斯认为他不应该带……
It was a nice gift, but Charles didn’t think he ought to take…
如此昂贵的礼物,我倾向于同意他的意见。
such an expensive present, and I’m inclined to agree with him.
哦,没关系。我想把它给他。
Oh, that’s all right. I want him to have it.
为什么,哈维?
Why, Harvey?
嗯,这是……
Well, it’s…
我们不需要它。我们有很多这样的人。
We don’t need it. We’ve got lots of them.
哈维,你知道这是个愚蠢的回答,老头子
Harvey, you know that’s a silly answer, old man.
-这是出于友谊-你是说贿赂,对吗?
– Well, it was an act of friendship. – You mean a bribe, don’t you?
-贿赂是什么?-贿赂是不诚实的礼物。
– What’s a bribe? – A bribe’s a dishonest gift.
接受它的人知道,他必须做一些不诚实的回报。
A person who accepts it knows that he must do something dishonest in return.
老实说,哈维。
Be honest, Harvey.
我只想属于水牛。
All I wanted was to belong to the Buffaloes.
听着,人们会在别人对他们好之后才送礼物,不是吗?
Look, people give presents after someone’s been nice to them, don’t they?
所以在别人对你好之前就送礼物是什么不诚实呢?
So what’s dishonest with giving presents before someone’s nice to you?
哈维,你为什么认为你不属于水牛?
Harvey, why do you think you don’t belong to the Buffaloes?
因为查尔斯不想让我加入
‘Cause Charles don’t want me in.
不是查尔斯把你拒之门外的。我把你拒之门外。
It isn’t Charles that kept you out. I kept you out.
什么?你说你是我的朋友。
What? You said you were a friend of mine.
是的,但有时我们得为朋友做点事…
I am, but sometimes we have to do things for friends…
我们并不特别喜欢这样做。
that we don’t particularly like to do.
哈维……
Harvey…
你还记得我说过你告诉孩子们是不明智的吗?
do you remember me saying it hadn’t been wise for you to tell the boys…
仅仅因为你父亲很重要,你就应该成为会员?
that you ought to be a member simply because your father was so important?
是的。
Yes.
我说进入的方法就是让自己变得重要…
And I said the way to get in was for you to be important…
站在自己的脚上…
to stand on your own feet…
不要依靠你的父亲得到你想要的一切。
not depend on your father for everything you want.
我父亲给了我想要的一切。
My father gives me everything I want.
你和你父亲谈过了吗,哈维?
Did you talk this over with your father, Harvey?
不。他有更重要的事情要做。
No. He’s got more important things to do.
他渴望你的幸福,是吗?
He’s anxious for your happiness, isn’t he?
确定。
Sure.
-我很高兴。-不,哈维,你不是…
– I’m perfectly happy. – Oh, no, Harvey, you’re not…
因为你知道你一直不诚实。
because you know you’ve been dishonest.
-你也不诚实。——现在,哈维。
– Well, so were you dishonest. – Now, Harvey.
你接受了贿赂。
Well, you took a bribe.
你在说什么?
What are you talking about?
难道你在房♥间里没找到钱…
Didn’t you find some money in your room…
在圣诞节假期的前几天…
a couple of days before Christmas vacation…
-装在信封里躺在桌子上?——什么?
– lying on your table in an envelope? – What?
是的。只是那不是贿赂。那是一份礼物……
Yes. Only it wasn’t a bribe. It was a present…
因为我以为你是我的朋友。
because I thought you were a friend of mine.
-你把那50美元放在那儿了吗?——是的。
– Did you put that $50 there? – Yes.
我本来想告诉你是我送的。
I was going to tell you it was from me.
我想也许你会让历史考试简单一些。
I thought maybe you’d make the history exam easier.
你去看牙医,回来晚了,我还没来得及告诉你。
You went to the dentist and came back late, and I didn’t get a chance to tell you.
-我不知道是你送的。-不过你还留着。
– I had no idea it was from you. – You kept it, though.
它会被归还的,哈维
It’ll be returned, Harvey.
恐怕你需要比我更严厉的教训。
I’m afraid you need a little sterner lesson than I can give you.
你打算做什么?
What are you going to do?
我要和芬利博士商量一下,看看他认为应该怎么做。
I’m going to talk it over with Dr. Finley and see what he thinks ought to be done.
你讨厌我。
You hate me.
——考文垂在哪儿?-那不是一个地方。
– Where’s Coventry? – It isn’t a place.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!