He broke it off. He didn’t think she was serious about him.
他难过了好一阵儿 不过现在都过去了
He was very upset for a while, but he’s over her now.
南希 我是要回美国的
Nancy, I’m going back.
但是你在这儿的时候可以找点乐子嘛 不是吗
But you can have a bit of fun while you’re here, can’t you?
走吧乔治
Come on George.
你母亲还好吗
How is your mother?
她很伤心 最近老得很快
Well, she’s sad. And she’s got much older very quickly.
那件事太糟了
It was a terrible thing.
我们都去参加葬礼的弥撒了 我父母和我
We all went to the funeral mass. My mother and my father and myself.
我之前不知道呢
I did not know that.
我母亲跟你姐姐一起打高尔夫 她很喜欢你姐姐
My mother played golf with her, you know. she is very fond of her.
你姐姐的死是我记忆中这镇上发生的最悲伤的事情
It was the saddest thing that happened in the town that I can remember.
-谢谢你 -你们俩快来啊
-Thank you. -Come on you two.
-那些摩天大楼怎么样 -那是曼哈顿
-What about the skyscrapers? -But that is Manhattan.
我住在布鲁克林 我的工作在布鲁克林
I live in Brooklyn and I work in Brooklyn.
如果我出去玩 也在布鲁克林
And if I go out, I go out in Brooklyn.
所有的摩天大楼都在河对面
All the skyscrapers are across the river.
你在美国的生活听起来并不是很光鲜啊
You don’t make it sound very glamorous.
因为它的确不是
It’s not, really.
连那个 唉你叫它什么来着
Not even… What do you call it?
你工作的那个百货
The department store where you work?
巴尔托奇百货 店里卖♥♥的东西都很好
Oh, Bartocci’s? Well, it sells lovely things,
不过大部分我都买♥♥不起
but I can’t afford many of them …
而且我也不是很喜欢那份工作
and I don’t like the works.
那你想做什么
What would you like to do?
我想做露丝之前的工作
I want to do what Rose did.
我想在办公室里跟数字打交道
I want to work in an office and deal with numbers.
你应该去戴维斯那问问
You should call in at Davis’s.
他们还没能找到接露丝班的人
They haven’t managed to replace Rose, you know.
婚礼一结束我就会回纽约了
I’ll be going back to New York straight after the wedding.
但走之前你应该也想要挣点钱吧
But you might want to earn a little money in the meantime.
我相信你去上班他们一定会很高兴的
I’m sure they’d be glad to have you.
少来 你只是想让艾莉丝留下来
Oh, you just want her to stay.
我只是在替艾莉丝着想
I am only thinking of Eilis.
你听到了吗艾莉丝 他想着你呢
Did you hear that Eilis? He’s only thinking of you.
就是这里
That’s it, that’s it…
-晚安 -晚安
-Good night. -Good night.
-再见 -再见
-See you. -See you.
再见
Bye.
-你今晚过得怎么样 -挺不错的 谢谢
-How’s your evening? -It’s very nice, thank you.
车里那个跟他们一起的是吉姆·法瑞尔吗
Was that Jim Farrell I saw on the car with them?
是的
It was.
你知道吗 他的父母要搬到乡下养老去了
His parents are moving, you know. They’re retiring to the country.
他会一个人住在镇子上的大房♥子里
He’ll be in that big house on his own.
是吗
Is that right?
对某些人来说 他条件挺不错的
It’s a catch for “someone”.
妈妈 晚安
Goodnight Mommy.
-嗨 艾莉丝 -嗨 布伦南太太
-Hello Eilis. -Hello Ms. Brennan..
我喜欢她的打扮
I like her style.
-谢天谢地你终于回来了 -发生什么事了
-Thank Goodness you’re back! -What’s the matter?
戴维斯那的一个伙计刚刚来了
A lad from Davis’s came round.
他们会计部门有点困难
They have a problem in their accounts department
-想让你马上过去 -就这样吗
-And they need you up there straight away. -Is that all?
-那我先把买♥♥来的东西放起来 -不不不 我来
-I’ll just put the shopping away. -No, no, leave it.
那小伙子说的是 马上
“Straight away”, the young fella said.
他说什么不重要 母亲 我又不是那里的职员
It doesn’t matter what he said, Mother. I’m not an employee.
我要去也只是帮个忙
I’d be doing them a favour.
你就让我来放这些行吗
Please let me do the shopping.
麻烦的是 现在是我们的忙季
The problem is that it’s our busy season,
所有的中层工人和司机上周都在加班
so all the middle workers and drivers did overtime last week.
他们已经把加班的单子填好了
Well, they filled out the overtime slips
但是还没人能算出来加班费
but there’s been nobody to work it all out,
加到他们的工资单
to add to the wage slips.
有些人已经开始抱怨这事了
And some of the men have started to complain.
我也不怪他们
And I can’t blame them.
就像你看到的一样 这儿一团糟
As you can see, it’s all a terrible mess.
这样 你给我几个小时 我能整理出一个系统来
Well. If you leave me for a couple of hours, I can work out a system
这样不管是谁来接我的班都不会有任何问题
so that whoever comes in after me won’t have any trouble.
你好 艾莉丝
Hello, Eilis.
玛利亚一直在跟我讲你的工作有多么的出色
Maria has been telling me you have done the most marvellous job here.
谢谢
Thank you.
我们理应早就知道你的
We should have known you would, of course.
毕竟你是露丝的妹妹
You’re Rose’s sister, after all.
有人告诉我你有会计证书是吗
I’m told you have a certificate in book-keeping?
是美国的会计证书吗
Is it in American book-keeping?
我是在美国拿的证书
I got the certificate in America,
但是这两个体系是非常相似的
but the two systems are very similar.
我们在忙季确实需要找
Well, we’ll certainly need someone
会计处理工资和其他事务的
to deal with wages and so on during the busy season.
我希望你能继续在这里兼♥职♥
so I’d like you to continue on a part-time basis.
我们可以看看情况 之后我们再谈
Let’s see how that goes and then we’ll speak again.
我不久以后就会回美国了
I’ll be going back to the United States soon.
我说了 在我们彼此都做了最后决定之前
As I said. Lets you and I speak again before we make
我们可以再谈一次
any firm decisions one way or the other.
好的 一定 布朗先生 谢谢
Yes, Mr. Brown. Of course. Thank you.
你现在可以去找玛利亚拿你今天的工资了
Now, if you go and see Maria, she’ll have your money for today.
-我都要忘记了 -忘记什么
-I’d forgotten. -What?
眼前的景色
This…
布鲁克林有海滩吗
You have beaches in Brooklyn?
有 但海滩上有很多人
Yes, but they are just very crowded.
过一会儿这里也会有挺多散步的人的
There will probably be quite a few walkers along here later.
是吧 不过还是不一样
Yes. It’s still not the same.
那确实
I’m sure it’s not.
我们不太知道除了这里其他地方都发生了什么事
We don’t really know anything of the rest of the world.
你现在肯定觉得我们很闭塞吧
We must seem very backward to you now.
当然没有 你是个很冷静很有教养的人 很有魅力
Of course not. You seem calm, and civilised. And charming.
快来呀
Come on!
我母亲想让你知道 她们的高尔夫俱乐部
My mother wanted you to know that the golf club…
以露丝的名义设立了一个奖项
is inaugurating a prize in Rose’s name.
一个给俱乐部的新人设立的最佳得分奖
A special trophy for the best score by a lady newcomer at the Club.
我母亲说 你姐姐总是对新人很友善
She was always very nice to the newcomers, my mother says.
我希望这能让你开心
I hope you’re pleased.
当然
Yes, of course.
所以说 每一年会有人得到一个露丝·蕾西奖
So, every year, someone will win the Rose Lacey Trophy?
每年都有 只要高尔夫俱乐部还存在
Every year. As long as there’s a golf club.
她希望第一届你能去给获奖者颁奖
And I think she’d like you to come along and present it to the first winner.
对了 我母亲也想顺便见见你
Yeah and my mother would like to meet you too, by the way.
我会安排一个时间请你来喝茶
I’m supposed to arrange a time when you can come around for tea.
谢谢你 我会去的
Thank you, I’d like that.
要是我走之前就能像现在这样就好了
I wish it had been like this before I went.
-露丝死之前 -像什么样
-Before Rose died. -Like what?
之前我什么都没有
There was nothing here for me here before.
而现在 我有了一份工作 还…
And now I have a job, and…
这里行吗
Here?
-这是美国人的方法吗 -是的 不错呢 是吧
-Is that an American trick? -Yes. It’s a good one, isn’t it?
这让人挺郁闷的 我们怎么就想不出这样的方法呢
It’s depressing, though, that we don’t think of things like that, isn’t it?
我是说 他们多久前就想到了
I mean how long have they known about it?
说不定都一百年了
A hundred years, probably.
我觉得一百年前他们应该还没有这样的泳衣吧
I don’t think they had bathing suits like that a hundred years ago.
可我们现在都还没有呢
And we still don’t have them now.
唉 来吧
Well, come on.
你周六想去看道奇队的球赛吗
You want to go see the Dodgers on Saturday?
当然了
Sure.
行 那你帮我做件事行吗
Okay, will you do something for me?
什么事
What?
如果你嘲笑我 或者跟家里任何一个人说起这件事
If you laugh, or you say anything about this to anybody in the family,
周六的比赛你就没得看了
you don’t get to see the Dodgers on Saturday.
这赛季任何一场球你都看不了了
Or any other day of the season.
而且 我还会打你一顿
Also, you get a beating.
那我还是不掺合比较好
Maybe it’s just better if I don’t get involved.
弗兰基 我真的很需要你帮忙

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!