That’s why I wanted to be here. No matter what.
我想告诉你
I need to say something…
你能不能 咱们能不能先谈点儿别的
Can you… Can we talk about something else …
到了凯赫夫人那儿再说
until we get to Ms. Kehoe?
-这不是 -拜托
-It’s Not … -Please?
那么 见到你的十分钟之前
So. Ten minutes before I’m supposed meet you …
我还站在从老奶奶的天花板渗出来
and I’m standing ankle-deep in sewage that’s pouring through
脚踝深的脏水里
this old lady’s ceiling.
所以 就算你想请我回家喝咖啡
Yes. Even if you were thinking of inviting me in for a coffee.
我也得拒绝 为了你好
I would have to say no, for your sake.
所以你怎么在十分钟里修好它的
So how did you fix it in ten minutes?
我没有 那十分钟我都在跟老奶奶解释
I didn’t. I spent the whole ten minutes explaining to the old lady
我得去个地方 然后我再回来
that I had to be somewhere and I’d be back.
她不想放我走
She didn’t want to let me go.
所以天花板还在渗脏水吗
So the sewage is still pouring through the ceiling?
额 六英寸深和一英尺深的脏水也并没啥差别对吧
Oh, what’s the difference between six inches of sewage and a foot?
你让我说我想说的吧 我觉得你不会介意
Let me say what I want to say. I don’t think you’ll mind.
好吧
Okay.
还记得吗 在你家吃完晚饭 你告诉我你爱我
You remember that after I had dinner at your house, you told me you loved me.
我当时不知道该说什么
Well, I didn’t really know what to say.
但我现在知道了
But I know what to say now.
我考虑过了 我喜欢你
I have thought about you. And I like you,
我喜欢跟你在一起 还有
and I like being with you and …
也许 我对你也有同样的感觉
Maybe, I feel the same way.
所以下次你再说爱我的时候
So the next time you tell me you love me,
如果还有下次
if there is a next time …
我也会说 我爱你
I’ll say I love you too.
-你是认真的吗 -是的
-Are you serious? -Yes.
卧♥槽♥ 原谅我爆粗口了 但是
Holy shit! Excuse my language, but…
我还以为你要谈别的
I thought we were having a different kind of talk.
我可以回家了吧
Can I go home now?
-你爱我吗 -是的
-You love Me? -Yes.
但是别再问我其他问题了
But don’t ask me anything else,
也别提什么咱们的孩子会变成道奇队的粉丝
and don’t talk about our kids being Dodgers fans.
你是想让孩子喜欢洋基队吗
Oh what? You want kids who like the Yankees?
托尼 拜托 别逼我
Tony, please don’t push me.
好吧 我道歉
All right. I’m sorry.
亲爱的艾莉丝
Dear Eilis,
非常谢谢你的尼龙袜
Thank you so much for the nylons.
巴尔托奇的包装纸让它们看上去格外漂亮
The Bartocci wrapping paper makes them look so glamorous.
似乎跟这边比起来 任何事物都很新奇 令人兴奋
It seems everything is so exciting and new compared to here.
我迫切地期待 有一天你能带我见识这一切
I can’t wait for you to show it all to me one day.
艾莉丝 你知道我的心与你同在 即使我不在你身边
Oh Eilis, you know I’m by your side, even when I’m not.
你真不可思议 我必须这么说
Well. You’re marvelous, that’s all I have to say.
而且在我看来你的考试不止是通过了
And it looks to me as if you didn’t just pass those exams.
你是轻松通过
You, you flew through them.
我已经记不得上次有人来这儿报喜是什么时候了
I can’t remember the last time anyone came here with good news.
我攒了一些钱
I’ve saved some money.
交得起下一年的学费 还能还给你上年的
I’ll be able to pay for next year’s tuition and pay you back for last year.
我教区的某个人已经替你交了
One of my parishioners paid.
他需要造福人类 我不会告诉你原因的
He needed to do something for mankind, and I won’t tell you why.
他自己也还没走出迷林
He is not out of the woods yet, either.
所以他可以为你下一年出学费
so he can cough up for next year, too.
我想知道他被困在什么样的迷林
I’d love to know what sort of woods he’s in.
我知道你想 但不会从我这里知道
Yes, I’m sure you would, but you won’t hear it from me.
学业有成 还告别了单身 艾莉丝
Qualifications and a boyfriend, Eilis.
你已经不是去年冬天那个想回家的悲催小姑娘
You’re not the miserable young girl who wanted to go home last winter.
那些事听上去真遥远
Seems like years ago.
我认为这是第一次
Now, I think this is the first time …
住在这儿的姑娘们中
any girl of mine
有人破天荒通过了考试
has ever passed an exam, while living here.
你告诉托尼了吗 艾莉丝
Have you told Tony yet, Eilis?
当然
Of course.
他准备带你出去庆祝吗
And is he taking you out to celebrate?
我们周末会去科尼岛
We’re going to Coney Island at the weekend.
-天哪 -怎么了
-Oh, boy! -What does that mean?
你有没有泳衣
Do you have a bathing costume?
-没有 我准备去买♥♥…-你有太阳镜吗
-No, I was going to get one… -Do you have sunglasses?
-没有 -你需要太阳镜
-No. -You need sunglasses.
我听说今年 如果你在沙滩上不戴着它
I read that if you don’t have them on the beach this year
人们就会说闲话
people will talk about you.
他们会说什么啊 希拉
And what exactly will they say, Sheila?
这才是重点 凯赫夫人
That’s the thing, Mrs. Kehoe.
你永远不会知道 因为他们并不当着你的面说
You’d never know, because they’d never say it to your face.
哦上帝啊
Oh, dear God!
戴安娜说得对 艾莉丝 你应该好好斟酌你的装扮
Diana’s right, though, Eilis. You need to think carefully about your costume.
托尼第一见你穿这么少 你不会想让他失望的
It’s the most Tony will ever have seen of you. You don’t want to put him off.
你下面得剃干净
You’ll have to shave down there.
我给你一把管用的剃刀
I’ll give you a razor that will do the trick.
你的屁屁暂时没问题
You’re all right there for the moment.
大多数意大利男人都喜欢丰满的体型
And most Italian men appreciate the fuller figure.
但是 夏天你还是要注意点
But watch yourself, over the summer.
你肤色白皙 黑色对你来说太暗了
The black’s too dark for your pale skin.
咱们来试试绿色
Let’s see you in the green.
看那边
Look at that thing.
你怎么不告诉我要把泳衣穿在衣服里面
Why didn’t you tell me to put my costume on underneath my clothes?
我以为你知道
I thought you’d know.
好了
Right, I’m ready.
-托尼 -咋啦
-Tony! -What?
过来
Come on.
亲爱的露丝 感谢你的来信
Dear Rose, Thanks for your letter.
听到你高尔夫锦标赛的消息我很高兴
I was happy to hear about your golf tournament.
你肯定高兴坏了
You must have been really pleased.
我依然思念你和妈妈
I still miss you and mother,
我每天都在想你
and I think about you every day.
然而我觉得 这是自我来到美国之后第一次感受到
But I think I can say that for the first time since I’ve been in America,
真正的幸福
I’m really happy.
这大部分要归功于托尼
This is a lot to do with Tony.
周末他带我去看了布鲁克林道奇队的比赛
At the weekend he took me to see the Brooklyn Dodgers,
他热爱的棒球队
the baseball team he loves.
他们输了 这让他很生气
They lost, so he was annoyed.
我也开始在找文职工作
But I’ve also started to look for office work, too.
这周我去面试了
I had an interview this week …
在布鲁克林的一家纺织品公♥司♥
at a textile firm here in Brooklyn.
露丝
Rose?
谁能想到 在一家会出两个簿记员呢
Who’d have thought that there would be two book-keepers in the family?
露丝
Rose?
我很快就能攒够钱回家看你和妈妈
I’ll soon be able to afford to come home and see you and mummy.
露丝
Rose!
露丝 上帝啊
Rose? Oh my God!
上帝啊
Oh God!
露丝
Rose?
不
Oh no!
稍等
A moment.
太突然了 我想她可能是生病了
It was sudden. I think perhaps she was ill,
她自己知道 但她没有告诉任何人
and she knew she was ill, and she didn’t tell anybody.
会发生什么
What will happen?
能发生什么呢
What can happen?
-她什么时候下葬 -明天
-When will they bury her? -Tomorrow.
-不等我吗 -不等
-Without me. -Without you.
你离得太远了 艾莉丝
You’re too far away, Eilis.
我到底为什么来这里呢
Why did I ever come here?
露丝希望你能过得更好
Rose wanted a better life for you.
她很欣慰你做得这么优秀
She loved how well you were doing.
但我再也见不到她了
But I will never see her again.
是这样吗 神父 我再也见不到她了
That’s right, isn’t it, Father? I will never see her again.
你知道的 我相信你们会再见的
You know that I think you will.
她会一直守护着你 在你余生的每一天
And she will be watching over you, every day, for the rest of your life.
喂 妈妈
Hello? Mommy?
能听见我说话吗 喂
Can you hear me now? Hello?
听不太清