Anyway, Mrs Brady has a niece living in Brooklyn.
这个世界真小 不是嘛
The world is a small place, isn’t it?
她几周前收到她侄女的一封信
She had a letter from her a couple of weeks back.
那信上怎么说
And what did it say?
就是说她去市政厅参加别人的婚礼
Oh, only that she’d been to a wedding at the city hall,
她丈夫无意中撞见一个来自
and her husband bumped into a girl
恩尼斯科西的女孩也在那里登记结婚
from Enniscorthy who was getting married there.
凯莉夫人 我不太懂你到底想表达什么
I’m not sure what you’re telling me, Miss Kelly.
他没有撞见我
He didn’t bump into me.
蕾西小姐 你可糊弄不了我
Oh, you can’t fool me, Miss Lacey.
我都不确定这还是你的姓氏吗
Although I’m not sure that that’s your name any longer, is it?
他已经记不太清了 好像姓是意大利的
He couldn’t remember. Something Italian, he thought.
我忘了
I’d forgotten.
你居然说你忘了 这真是
You’d forgotten! What a thing for…
我是说 我忘了这个镇是什么样的了
I’d forgotten what this town is like.
凯莉夫人 你到底在打什么小主意
What were you planning to do, Miss Kelly?
想让我离吉姆远一点吗
Keep me away from Jim?
还是想阻止我回美国
Stop me from going back to America?
或许你自己都不知道
Perhaps you didn’t even know.
我的名字是艾莉丝·菲欧雷洛
My name is Eilis Fiorello.
-谢谢 -你好 有什么可以帮您的
-Thank you. -How I can help you?
你好 我想预订一张
Hello, I’d like to make
最近一班从科夫到纽约的船票
a reservation for the next available sailing from Cobh to New York.
我觉得婚礼后反而更花钱
I think people spend even more money after a wedding.
南希的妈妈该是把镇上所有店走了遍吧
Nancy’s mother must have been in every shop in the town.
她连点火器都买♥♥好了
She was buying firelighters in Broom’s.
在八月就买♥♥点火器
Firelighters! In August!
但是她见了斯泰普尔顿太太
But she’d seen Mrs. Stapleton in there,
她还没有机会把婚礼一整天的细节
and she hadn’t had a chance to go through the whole day
都和她过一遍
in detail with her, so…
艾莉丝 你怎么了
Eilis, what’s the matter?
你和吉姆之间发生什么了吗
Has something happened with Jim?
妈 我很抱歉
Mommy, I’m sorry.
我非常抱歉 我已经结婚了
I’m so sorry. I’m married.
我回家之前就在布鲁克林完婚了 我应该告诉你的
I got married in Brooklyn before I came home. I should have told you.
我应该回来第一时间告诉你
I should have told you as soon as I got back.
我想和他 和我的丈夫在一起
I want to be with him. I want to be with my husband.
那是当然
Of course.
他人好吗
Is he nice?
很好
Yes.
你嫁的人一定是很好的
He’d have to be nice, if you married him.
所以你要回纽约去吗
So you are going back?
是的 就是明天
Yes. Tomorrow.
你是要坐早班的火车吗
Are you on the early train?
我要去睡觉了
I’m going to bed.
妈 现在连八点都没到 你不要这样
Mummy…It’s not even eight o’clock. You don’t have to..
我很疲倦
I’m very tired.
我想现在就说再见 只说一次
And I’d like to say goodbye now, and only once.
或许你能在信里跟我聊聊他
Perhaps you’ll write and tell me about him.
我会的
I will.
艾莉丝 晚安
Goodnight Eilis.
你是要搬去美国吗
So are you away to live in America?
-不是 -去旅游嘛
-No. -Just visiting?
不是 我已经住在那儿了
No. I live there already.
真的吗 那是什么感觉
Really? What’s it like?
那是一个很大很大的地方
It’s a big place.
我准备住在纽约的布鲁克林 你知道那吗
I’m gonna live in Brooklyn, New York. Do you know it?
当然
Yes.
人们都说 在那里有很多爱尔兰人
People say that there’s so many Irish people there.
就像家一样
It’s like home.
这是真的吗
Is that right?
是真的 就像家一样
Yes, it’s just like home.
你不准吃东西
You’re not to eat.
但是我得在那儿待好久啊
But I might be there years.
你到美国后就什么都能吃
No, you can eat when you get there.
但千万别在船上吃东西
Don’t eat on the boat.
这样就不晕船了 你能答应我吗
It’ll stop you getting so sick. Do you promise me?
我答应
I promise.
过会儿 你马上到你的房♥间
And in a moment, I want you to go straight down to your cabin
然后把你这侧的门锁上
and lock the bathroom door on your side.
等隔壁房♥间开始砸门 你就可以开始谈判
When next door starts hammering, you can negotiate.
等你到了海关那儿 睁大你的眼睛
When you get to Immigration, keep your eyes wide open,
摆出你知道自己要去哪儿的样子
Look as if you know where you’re going.
你必须像美国人一样思考
You have to think like an American.
麻烦你上前一步
Could you please step forward?
你会十分想家 想得要命
You’ll feel so homesick that you’ll want to die,
你除了忍♥受这一切以外毫无办法
and there’s nothing you can do about it apart from endure it.
但是这一切并不会击垮你
But you will, and it won’t kill you.
终有一天 太阳会再次升起
And one day the sun will come out
你或许都未曾注意到 就这么悄无声息地
and you might not even note it straight away, it would be that faint.
你会开始思考其它的事情
And then you will catch yourself thinking about something or
会挂念一个和你过去毫无交集的人
or someone who has no connection with the past,
一个只属于你的人
Someone who’s only yours.
那时 你就会明白
And you’ll realise
这就是你的安生之地
that this is where your life is.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!