I don’t have anything for you.
我什么都没有
My name is Benjamin Margai.
我叫班哲明犸吉
Danny Archer. This is Maddy Bowen.
丹尼·艾奇 她是曼蒂·鲍恩
Hello. How are you? Very well, thank you.
你好吗? 很好 谢谢
I’m the cameraman?
我是摄影师
The Belgians were the first to chop off limbs in Africa.
比利时人率先砍断非洲人的手脚
King Leopold took one hand for every hundredth slave in the Congo
李奥波二世砍断刚果黑奴手足
to keep them in line.
借以杀鸡儆猴
Many of these children were taken by the RUF.
这些孩子被叛军抓走
We have taken them back.
我们把他们救回来
Some of them have been made to do horrible things.
他们被迫做出可怕的事
We are trying to bring them back to life.
我们试着让他们恢复正常生活
Let me show you.
我带你们去看
Imagine doing all this, huh?
他真了不起
What’s your excuse?
你又为什么要来?
Well, it’s gotten hard to go back to sipping lattes and talking interest rates.
我受够了边喝拿铁边谈利率
So you’re an action junkie, huh?
你对危险生活上了瘾
Three out of five ex boyfriends recently polled
我的五个前男友有三个都说
say that I prefer to be in a constant state of crisis.
我喜欢随时处于危机状况
Maybe I just give a shit.
也许我只是有理想
You were good today.
你今天表现很好
You know that?
你知道吗?
You too.
你也是
“that sometimes they forgot to close the door.
他们有时候会忘了关门
She also wrote about her sister Josie
她也写她姐妹裘丝的事
who was very ill and who had to be taken to hospital.”
她生了重病 被送到医院
Cheers.
谢谢你
So how many attacks have there been in the area?
这地区发生几次攻击?
I have known most of the rebels since they were children.
那些叛军小时候我就认识他们
The local commander is still afraid I will come after him with my ruler.
指挥官还怕我拿教鞭追着他打
So you think because your intentions are good, they’ll spare you, huh?
你以为做好事 他们就会饶你?
My heart always told me that people are inherently good.
我的内心相信人性本善
My experience suggests otherwise.
事实却证明我错了
But what about you, Mr. Archer?
艾奇先生 你呢?
In your long career as a journalist
你当了记者这么久
would you say that people are mostly good?
大部分的人都是好人吗?
No.
不
I’d say they’re just people.
他们只是平凡人
Exactly. It is what they do that makes them good or bad.
好人坏人的差别是他们做的事
A moment of love, even in a bad man
只要坏人发挥爱心
can give meaning to a life.
也有意义
None of us knows which path will lead us to God.
没有人知道该怎么做才对
Hey!
嘿!
It’s palm wine.
这是棕榈酒
Jesus Christ. Yeah, yeah. It takes getting used to, huh?
天啊 喝久了就会习惯
God.
天啊
Drank that as a boy. In Rhodesia?
我小时候常喝 罗得西亚?
I take notes.
我都记笔记
The Shona
绍纳人
The Shona have a word for me.
绍纳人用一个字形容我
It means “white boy in Africa.” When did you leave?
意思是非洲的白小子 你是几时搬走的?
I didn’t leave.
我不是搬走的
I got sent away to South Africa in 1978 when the munts overran us.
我在1978年被迫被带到南非
Then you joined the army?
然后你加入军队
Yeah. Yeah, I did my time in Angola.
没错 我在安哥拉服役
The 32 Battalion. That’s right.
32营 没错
You know, contrary to what you might think about us
南非白人不全是种族歧视者
we fought with the blacks, huh? Yeah. Side by side.
我们和黑人并肩作战
There was no apartheid in a foxhole. The colonel always used to tell us that.
上校常说 战场上没有种族隔离
This is Colonel Coetzee? Yeah.
寇兹上校? 对
Then, of course, it’s 1994. No more army.
1994年军队遭到解散
No more apartheid.
种族隔离政策也被废除
Truth and reconciliation and all of that rubbish, you know.
手牵手心连心那些屁话
Kumbaya.
好耶
We fought and died together, you know?
我们并肩作战 生死与共
Black and white. Most people back home didn’t even know we were at war.
黑人和白人 大家都不知道我们在打仗
We thought we were fighting Communism
我们以为敌人是共产党
but in the end, it was all about who gets what, you know?
其实只是为了争权夺利
Lvory, oil, gold:
象牙 石油 黄金
Diamonds.
钻石
So one day I decided, “Fuck it,” you know?
有一天我受够了
“I’m gonna get mine.”
我要替自己着想
You gonna steal his diamond?
你要偷走他的钻石吗?
That diamond is my ticket out of this godforsaken continent.
那颗钻石是我脱离这片苦海的唯一契机
That doesn’t answer the question.
你没回答我的问题
My dad came home from the war in ’69.
我爸1969年从越战回家
And it took him
他整整花了
about 20 years to get right.
二十年才恢复正常
What?
什么?
You Americans love to talk about your feelings, huh?
你们美国人老爱谈自己的感伤
So, what does that mean? What does that mean?
那是什么意思? 什么意思?
Got a thing for messed up vets now? Shut up.
你特别喜欢双手血腥的军人? 闭嘴
You lost both your parents.
你失去了双亲
That’s a polite way of putting it, yeah.
你说得倒轻松
Mom was raped and shot
我妈被强暴后被射杀
and Dad was decapitated and hung from a hook in the barn.
我爸被斩首后被吊在谷仓
I was 9.
当年我九岁
Boohoo, right?
很惨 对吧?
Sometimes I wonder
有时候我在想
will God ever forgive us for what we’ve done to each other?
上帝会原谅我们自相残杀吗?
Then I look around and I realize
然后我才豁然发现
God left this place a long time ago.
上帝早就离开这地方了
It’s
是
What’s the point, huh?
说这么多干嘛?
Oh, shit. Keep moving, huh?
该死 继续开
What? Drive at them. They’ll panic.
什么? 冲过去 他们会被吓到
Do you know where the word “infantry” comes from?
你知道步兵的字源吗?
It means “child soldier.” They are just children.
意思是孩子兵 他们只是小孩子
Stop! Stop! RUF on the road! Hi. Hello. Hello.
停车 这是革命军的路 嗨 你们好
Hello, little brothers.
你们好
RUF on the road! Yeah, yeah. What is your names?
这是革命军的路 你们叫什么?
I’m Dead Body. Who is this motherfucker?
我是死神 这家伙是谁?
We are teachers on our way to Kono.
我们是老师
Only RUF on the road.
只有革命军才能过去
RUF only! Yes, yes, I understand that.
只有革命军能过 我知道
Only RUF! But son, this is
只有革命军 但是孩子 这是
Don’t move! Don’t move! Fuck.
别动! 别动!
Jesus Christ! Maddy, press your hand against the exit wound there, huh?
曼蒂 用力压住他的伤口
Got it. Keep it there, huh?
好 别放手
Whatever you do, don’t talk, all right?
千万不要说话
Is there any wine left in that jug?
还有酒吗?
Here. Pour it all over everything, huh?
这里 倒在他的伤口上面
The colonel’s gonna have a medic at the airstrip in Kono.
上校在科诺的机场有医疗站
How far is it? You said not to talk.
还有多远? 你叫我不要说话
A comedian, huh?
真会搞笑
How’s his pulse? I can feel it sometimes.
他有脉搏吗? 很微弱
Hold it right there. Stop.
等在那儿 停车
Papers, please.
出示文件
Excuse me.
不好意思
I was just trying to keep pressure on the wound.
我只是压住他的伤口而已
He’s lost a lot of blood. You’ll be all right, huh?
他流了很多血 你不会有事的
Will you?
你呢?
I’ll check on him in the tent in a little bit. Thank you.
我待会儿去看他 谢谢你
Hey.
嘿!
Look who’s alive, eh?
你竟然还没挂点
I told the H you’d be back.
我就跟老大说你会回来
I’m afraid we’re evacuating all non military personnel, miss.
非军事人员必须撤退
Transport touches down at 1600.
飞机下午四点整降落
She’s with me, all right?
她跟我在一起
No exceptions, pal. This is gonna be ugly. Colonel doesn’t want an audience.
没有例外 这是危险任务 上校不要外人在场