…beautiful white rabbit.
布莱恩,你做得很好,敬个礼
Bryan, you did that very well. A little bow.
我们突击他们的堡垒,我先翻过墙
We crept up on their fort, and I jumped over the wall first.
我的部下跟着我翻墙
My fellows jumped after me.
你该看看那些法国人脸上的表情 面对23位勇敢的士兵
You should have seen the Frenchmen’s faces when 23 rampaging he-devils…
带剑跟手♥枪♥,一路冲刺 爬进他们的堡垒里
…sword and pistol, cut and thrust, came tumbling into their fort.
三分钟内我们就离开了 杀死的炮兵…
In three minutes we left as many Artillerymen’s heads…
跟大炮一样多
…as there were cannonballs.
之后亨利亲王来看我们
Later we were visited by our noble Prince Henry.
“这是谁的功劳?” 我向前跨一步
“Who is the man who has done this?” I stepped forward.
他说”你杀了多少敌人?”
“How many heads was it that you cut off?” He says.
我说”19个,还有一些人受伤”
“Nineteen,” says I, “besides wounding several.”
结果他哭了起来
Well, I’ll be blessed, if he didn’t burst into tears.
他说”这真是大大的功劳
“Noble, noble fellow,” he said.
这里有19个金币 为你杀死的19个敌人”
“Here is nineteen golden guineas, one for each head that you cut off.”
你觉得如何?
What do you think of that?
你可以留下敌人的头吗?
Were you allowed to keep the heads?
不,那是国王的财产
No, they always become the property of the King.
你能再说个故事给我听吗?
Will you tell me another story?
明天再说吧
I’ll tell you one tomorrow.
明天你会陪我玩牌吗?
Will you play cards with me tomorrow?
当然会,快睡吧
Of course I will. Now go to sleep.
能不能别吹熄蜡烛?
Will you keep the candles lit?
布莱恩,大孩子睡觉时不必点蜡烛
Bryan, big boys don’t sleep with the candles lit.
我怕黑
I’m afraid of the dark.
亲爱的,没什么好怕的
My darling, there’s nothing to be afraid of.
但我喜欢点着蜡烛睡
But, I like it with the candles lit.
好吧,你可以点着蜡烛睡
All right, you can sleep with the candles lit.
谢谢爸爸
Thank you, Papa.
晚安
Good night.
瑞德蒙
Ah, Redmond!
真高兴看到我的儿子 取得他应有的地位
It’s a blessing to see my darling boy has attained a position I knew was his due.
我为此努力刻苦地教养过他
And for which I pinched myself to educate him.
布莱恩是个好孩子
Little Bryan is a darling boy…
你过着好日子
…and you live in great splendor.
你太太知道她找到了幸福
Your lady wife knows she has a treasure…
就算嫁给一个公爵 她也不可能过得这么好
…she couldn’t have had, had she married a Duke.
如果她厌倦了我的瑞德蒙
But, if she should tire of my wild Redmond…
跟他的传统爱尔兰生活方式
…and his old-fashioned Irish ways…
或是她死了
…or if she should die…
我儿子跟孙子会有什么下场?
…what future would there be for my son, and my grandson?
你自己没有钱
You have not a penny of your own…
没有她签名,无法完成任何交易
…and cannot transact any business without her signature.
她死后由布林顿继承家产
Upon her death the entire estate would go to young Bullingdon…
而且他一点都不喜欢你
…who bears you little affection.
明天你可能就变得身无分文
You could be penniless tomorrow…
亲爱的布莱恩得看继兄的脸色过活
…and darling Bryan at the mercy of his stepbrother.
我能跟你说一件事吗?
Shall I tell you something?
只有一个方法 能让你跟你儿子安心过日
There is only one way for you and your son to have real security.
你必须取得头衔
You must obtain a title.
在你成为林登勋爵前 我是不会安心的
I shall not rest until I see you Lord Lyndon.
你跟大人物做朋友
You have important friends.
他们能告诉你该怎么做
They can tell you how these things are done.
只要有钱、看好时机、找对门路
For money, well-timed and properly applied…
没有做不到的事
…can accomplish anything.
巴里的确认识
And Barry was acquainted with someone…
一个知道怎么处理这种事的人
…who knew how these things were done.
他就是知名的律师跟前政♥府♥官员
This was the distinguished Barrister and former Government Minister…
哈伦勋爵
…Lord Hallam…
跟许多人一样 他跟他是在牌桌上认识的
…whose acquaintance he had made, like so many others, at the gaming table.
你认识第13任温多佛伯爵吗?
Do you happen to know the Thirteenth Earl of Wendover?
我想我不认识
I don’t believe I do.
这位贵族仍是国王的侍臣
Well, this nobleman is one of the Gentlemen of His Majesty’s Closet…
他跟国王的关系非常密切
…with whom our revered Monarch is on terms of considerable intimacy.
我认为你该跟他打交道
In my opinion, you would be wise to fix upon him…
他可以帮助你取得头衔
…your chief reliance for the advancement of your claim to the peerage.
林登先生,有我的保证 要取得头衔不是问题
When I take up a person, Mr. Lyndon, he, or she, is safe.
那是无庸置疑的
There is no question about them anymore.
我的朋友是最好的人 我不是指他们最有美德
My friends are the best people. I don’t mean they’re the most virtuous…
或最没有美德,或最聪明
…or, indeed, the least virtuous, or the cleverest…
还是最愚蠢 最富裕或出身最好的人
…or the stupidest, richest or best born.
但他们都是最好的
But, the best.
换句话说,大家不用怀疑他们
In a word, people about whom there is no question.
我无法保证要花多少时间
I cannot promise how long it will take.
你应该能了解要这么做并不容易
You can appreciate it is not an easy matter.
但家有钜产、年收入三万镑的人
But, any gentleman with an estate, and 30,000 a year…
都应该有头衔
…should have a peerage.
我身后站了一个陌生人
And there standing behind me was a total stranger.
我看着他,他跟我说
I looked at him, and he said to me:
“对不起,你能告诉我 温多佛伯爵是否还活着?”
“Excuse me, sir, could you tell me, is Lord Wendover alive or dead?”
我非常讶异,不知道该怎么说
I was so astonished, I couldn’t think of what to say.
我非常生气地跟他说”他死了”
Then I became angry, and said to him, “He’s dead.”
追求头衔是巴里最不智的举动之一
The striving after this peerage was one of Barry’s most unlucky dealings.
他为了完成目标做出极大的牺牲
He made great sacrifices to bring it about.
他花钱在许多地方打点
He lavished money here, and diamonds there.
以十倍价格买♥♥下土地
He bought lands at ten times their value…
以天价卖♥♥下画作跟艺术品
…purchased pictures and articles of virtue at ruinous prices.
他花钱宴请声称…
He gave entertainments to those friends to his claim…
能帮助他成为贵族的朋友
…who, being about the Royal person, were likely to advance it.
我得说,到处都有人贿赂 上流社会也是如此
And, I can tell you, bribes were administered. And in high places, too.
你会讶异于在国王身边的 这些上流贵族…
So near the person of His Majesty that you would be astonished to know…
竟会无♥耻♥地收下他的钱
…what great noblemen condescended to receive his loans.
这是柯迪的画
This is by Ludovico Cordi…
他是阿娄里的弟♥子♥
…a disciple of Alessandro Allori.
年代是1605年
It’s dated 1605…
画作叫做《东方三王来朝》
…and shows, “The Adoration of The Magi.”
真漂亮
It’s beautiful.
对
Yes.
我喜欢画家对蓝色的运用
I love the use of the color blue by the artist.
对,那真的很漂亮
Yes, that is very beautiful.
这幅画多少钱?
What is the price of this one?
这是我手上最好的一幅画
Well, this is one of my best pictures.
如果你真的喜欢 我相信我们能做些安排
But, if you really like it, I’m sure we can come to some arrangement.
安德瑞奇伯爵
Count Andrachier.
安德瑞奇伯爵
Count Andrachier.
亨利杜鲁蒙先生
Mr. Henry Drummond.
杜鲁蒙先生
Mr. Drummond.
吉伯特艾略特爵爷,陛下
Sir Gilbert Elliot, Your Majesty.
吉伯特爵爷
Sir Gilbert.
温多佛伯爵,陛下
Lord Wendover, Your Majesty.
今天很高兴能见到你,温多佛伯爵
I’m glad to see you here today, Lord Wendover.
温多佛伯爵夫人还好吧?
What news of Lady Wendover?
谢谢陛下 温多佛夫人好多了
Thank you, Your Majesty. Lady Wendover is much better.
很好,请帮我跟她问好 跟她说我们都很想念她
Good! Present my compliments to her. Say we miss her company here.
谢谢陛下
Thank you, Your Majesty.
你的儿子都还好吗?
And what of those excellent boys of yours?
他们都很好,查尔斯搭拉米利斯号♥ 跟着盖利船长出海了
They’re well. Charles has gone to sea under Captain Geary on the Ramillies.
约翰到牛津学神学
John has gone to Oxford to learn how to preach and pray.
很好
Good, good!
-陛下,请容我介绍巴里林登先生 -陛下
Your Majesty, may I present Mr. Barry Lyndon.
林登先生 我们很想念查尔斯林登爵爷
Mr. Lyndon. We were very fond of Sir Charles Lyndon.
林登夫人还好吧?
And how is Lady Lyndon?
她很好,陛下
She’s very well, Your Majesty.
林登先生要组织一支军队 到美洲镇♥压♥叛军
Mr. Lyndon raised a company of troops to fight in America against the rebels.
很好,林登先生 请再组一支大军跟他们一起出征
Good, Mr. Lyndon. Raise another company and go with them, too.
克利斯多佛尼维爵爷
Sir Christopher Neville.
克利斯多佛爵爷
Sir Christopher.
佩瑞葛林卡凡迪希
Peregrine Cavendish.
佩瑞葛林先生
Mr. Peregrine.
(支付阿尔马克先生8050镑 由我的帐户支出)
巴里天生就懂得赚钱
Barry was born clever enough at gaining a fortune…