He’s now with the Army in Silesia, but you’ll have a certificate from him.
早安,先生
Good morning, Your Honor.
你就是席巴♥赫♥推荐的那个年轻人
So you are the young man recommended by Seebach.
是的,先生,这是我的证书
Yes, Your Honor, here are my credentials.
你叫拉左洛奇拉吉?
Your name is Lazlo Zilagy?
是的,先生
Yes, Your Honor.
奎伦伯格先生对你是赞不绝口
Monsieur de Quellenberg recommends you highly.
奎伦伯格先生是个大好人
Monsieur is a very good man.
他的举动可说是轻率…
It was imprudent of him…
但巴里看到骑士先生的气势
…but when Barry saw the Chevalier’s splendor…
还有他的高雅举止
…and noble manner…
他发现自己无法再伪装下去
…he felt unable to keep disguise with him.
不曾流浪的人
Those who have never been exiled…
不知道人在屋檐下 听到乡音时的感觉
…know not what it is to hear a friendly voice in captivity…
也不了解为什么…
…and would not understand the cause…
他的心情会突然激动起来
…of the burst of feeling now about to take place.
看起来你很适合这份工作
You seem the right one to me.
谢谢你,先生
Thank you, Your Honor.
你病了吗?
Are you ill?
先生
Sir…
我得跟你坦白一件事
…I have a confession to make to you.
我是爱尔兰人
I’m an Irishman.
我叫瑞德蒙巴里
My name is Redmond Barry.
我被普鲁士军队绑♥架♥
I was abducted into the Prussian Army.
现在奉波兹杜夫上尉跟他的叔叔
Now I’ve been put into your service…
也就是警务部长的命令来为你工作
…by my Captain Potzdorf and his uncle, the Minister of Police…
我得监视你的一举一动
…to serve as a watch upon your…actions…
提供情报给他们
…and to give information to them.
他乡遇故知
The Chevalier was much affected…
让骑士很感动
…at thus finding one of his countrymen.
他也是流亡人士
For he too was an exile.
听到熟悉口音,见到同胞
And a friendly voice, a look…
让他想起自己的祖国
…brought the old country back to his memory.
他非常虔诚,会定期上教堂
He is very religious and attends church regularly.
做完弥撒后就回家吃早餐
After Mass he comes home for breakfast.
他会搭着马车去兜风
He then takes an airing in his carriage.
巴里固定跟部长报告
Barry presented his reports regularly to the Minister.
内容都是他事先跟骑士商量好的
The details were arranged beforehand with the Chevalier.
他奉命尽可能说实话
He was instructed to tell the truth…
努力不露出破绽
…as much as his story would possibly bear.
他提供的资讯非常仔细确实
The information he gave was very minute and accurate…
但都不是什么重要的事
…though not very important.
但他不认识他
–But who does not acknowledge him.
葡萄酒或鸡尾酒,大人?
Wine or punch, Your Honor?
葡萄酒
Wine.
他们说好 巴里得继续扮演贴身侍从角色
It was agreed that Barry should keep his character of valet.
在陌生人面前 他得装成听不懂英文
That, before strangers, he should not know a word of English.
上酒时他得注意每个人手上拿的牌
And that he should keep a lookout on the trumps when serving the wine.
有付好眼力
Having excellent eyesight…
加上天生才能
…and a natural aptitude…
他在牌桌上提供主人许多帮助
…he was able to give his dear patron much assistance…
打败对手
…against his opponents at the green table.
譬如他拿餐巾擦桌子
If, for instance, he wiped the table with a napkin…
代表敌人拿到方块大牌
…the enemy was strong in Diamonds.
他调整椅子,代表敌人拿到王牌
If he adjusted a chair it meant Ace King.
如果他说 “鸡尾酒或葡萄酒,大人?”
If he said, “Punch or wine, My Lord?”…
那代表敌人拿到的是红心
…Hearts were meant, and so forth.
图宾根亲王
The Prince of Terbingen…
跟腓特烈大帝关系密切
…who had intimate connections with the Great Frederick…
他很喜欢打牌
…was passionately fond of play as were the gentlemen…
就跟许多欧洲贵族一样
…of almost all the Courts of Europe.
你欠了一万五千五百个金币
You owe 15,500 frederick d’or.
骑士
Chevalier…
我不知道你用了什么方法
…though I cannot say how…
但是我相信你在诈赌
…I believe you have cheated me.
我否认殿下的指控
I deny Your Grace’s accusation…
并要求殿下说出我用什么方式诈赌
…and beg you to say how you have been cheated.
我真的不知道
I don’t know.
但我相信你在诈赌
But I believe I have been.
殿下欠我一万五千五百金币
Your Grace owes me 15,500 frederick d’or…
那是我光明正大赢来的
…which I have honorably won.
骑士
Chevalier…
你想要拿回你的钱,就得决斗
…if you will have your money now you must fight for it.
如果你有耐心
If you will be patient…
或许下次我会还你一些
…maybe I will pay you something another time.
殿下,如果我那么容易说话
Your Grace, if I am to be so tame as to take this…
就没办法从事这种 光明正大且获利丰厚的营生
…then I must give up an honorable and lucrative occupation.
该说的我都说了
I have said all there is to be said.
你爱怎么处置都随便你
I am at your disposal for whatever purposes you wish.
晚安
Good night.
亲王遭诈赌?
Was the Prince cheated?
部长先生,我认为应该没有
In as far as I am able to tell, Herr Minister, no.
我相信他赢得光明正大
I believe he won the money fairly.
骑士的意图是什么?
What are the Chevalier’s intentions?
我不知道
I’m not sure.
亲王跟他说 他要钱的话就得决斗
The Prince told him that if he wanted his money he’d have to fight for it.
跟亲王见面是不可能的
A meeting with the Prince is impossible.
亲王让他别无选择
The Prince has left him no other choice.
明天你能再来一趟 而不启人疑窦吗?
Now.
我知道他们不会答应 我跟亲王见面
Will you be able to return here tomorrow without arousing suspicion?
如果我那么说 你知道他为什么要还我钱吗?
I know they won’t allow a meeting with the Prince.
你得跟他们说我要求决斗
But if I say that, do you know any reason why he’ll pay me what he owes?
别那样子,孩子
You must tell them I intend to demand satisfaction.
他们无法伤害我 奥地利大使会处理的
Don’t look so downcast, my boy.
他们最多只能把我赶出这个烂国家
They cannot harm me, the Austrian Embassy will see to that.
如果他们那么做,别担心
The worst they can do is send me out of this dreary country of theirs.
我不会丢下你的
If they should, don’t worry…
别害怕
…you shall not be left behind.
国王决定将骑士驱逐出境
Have no fear of that.
他要求决斗吗?
The King has determined to send the Chevalier out of the country.
还没有,但我相信他会提出要求
Has he already demanded satisfaction?
可能今天就会
Not yet, but I believe he intends to…
我们明天就得将这件事处理好
…possibly today.
做好所有安排
Then this must be done tomorrow.
瑞德蒙
All the arrangements are made.
你说每天吃完早餐后他会去兜风
You said he takes a drive after breakfast every day.
是的
Yes, sir.
明天他会更改行程吗?
Is there any reason he should do any different tomorrow?
应该不会
No, sir.
很好
Good.
明天骑士一出门要上马车
When the Chevalier comes out to his carriage in the morning…
两位军官会护送他到边界
…two Officers will meet him and escort him to the frontier.
之后再将他的行李送还给他
His baggage will be sent after him.
非常好
Excellent.
隔天早上十点
At ten o’clock the next morning…
巴里巴瑞骑士
…the Chevalier de Balibari…
展开例行的晨间兜风之旅
…went out for his regular morning drive.
我的仆人拉左洛在哪里?
Where’s my servant, Lazlo?
我来帮你放下踏阶,大人
I will let down the steps, Your Honor.
这是怎么一回事?
What is this about?
请上车
Please get inside.
我被捕了吗?
Am I under arrest?
我们要赶往边界
We’re driving to the frontier.
边界?但我要到奥地利大使官邸
Frontier? But I’m on my way to the Austrian Ambassador’s house.
很抱歉,大人 我奉命送你到边界
My orders are to escort you to the frontier…
并且看着你安全通过边界
…and see you safely across the border.
但是我不要去边界
But, I’m not going to the frontier.
我有重要的事 要到奥地利大使官邸跑一趟
I have very important business at the Austrian Ambassador’s house.
我奉命不计代价送大人到边界
My orders are to take Your Honor to the frontier by any means necessary.
如果你自愿离开
If you come willingly…
我代表图宾根亲王 将这个皮包交给你