Barry’s first taste of battle…
那是场对上法国后卫部队的小战役
…was only a skirmish against a rearguard of Frenchmen…
他们占据的路边果园
…who occupied an orchard beside a road…
刚好是英格兰主力部队要通过的路线
…down which the English main force wished to pass.
史书并未记载这场战争
Though this encounter is not recorded in any history book…
但参战的人永远不会忘记
…it was memorable enough for those who took part.
我只剩一百基尼可以留给你
I’ve only a hundred guineas left to give you…
其他的都被我打牌输光了
…for I lost the rest at cards.
亲我一下,我的孩子 我们不会再见面
Kiss me, me boy, for we’ll never meet again.
坐在躺椅上 梦想光荣的战争是一回事
It is well to dream of glorious war in a snug armchair.
亲自参与是另一回事
It is a different thing to see it firsthand.
朋友战死后 巴里的梦想从沙场上的荣耀
After his friend’s death, Barry’s thoughts turned from military glory…
转移到急欲逃离军旅生涯
…to those of escaping the Service…
虽然他得在军队里待六年
…to which he was tied for six years.
绅士们高谈阔论骑士时代
Gentlemen talk of the Age of Chivalry…
但是其实也记得他们带领的低贱平民
…but remember the ploughmen, poachers and pickpockets they lead.
这些人是造就 伟大战士跟国王的悲伤工具
It is with these sad instruments great warriors and kings…
他们负责做全世界最残酷的工作
…have been doing their murderous work in the world.
巴里发现自己…
Barry could not have fallen into worse circumstances…
置身在最悲惨的环境中
…than those in which he found himself.
但命运之神不希望他 在英格兰军队里待太久
But fate did not intend he should remain long an English soldier.
一起意外的发生
An accident occurred…
让他得以脱离军队
…which took him out of the Service in a rather singular manner.
佛雷迪,希望你不会生我的气
Freddie, I hope you won’t be angry with me, but…
我有事要跟你说,你一定会不开心
…I’ve got something to tell you which you won’t be happy about.
到底是什么事?
Oh? What is it?
先答应我你不会生气
First, promise me you’ll keep your temper.
强纳森,别那么混♥蛋♥! 一副神秘兮兮的模样
Jonathan, don’t be an ass! You’re making a big mystery of it.
发生了什么事?
What is going on?
我又得离开了
I have to go away again.
大约两星期
For about two weeks.
天啊,你是认真的吗?
Oh, God, you’re not serious?
当然是,我一点办法都没有
I am. There’s nothing I can do about it.
这次你要去哪里?
Where to this time?
我要去不来梅 将重要情报交给亨利亲王
To Bremen, carrying important dispatches to Prince Henry.
但上次你答应过我下不为例
But you promised me last time it would be never again.
我知道,我尽量履行我的承诺
I know. And I’ve kept my part of the bargain, but…
但庞特斯比坚持 他只相信我能完成这趟任务
…Pontersby insists I’m the only one who can be entrusted with the trip.
这是他一直在等待 逃离军队的大好机会
Here was the opportunity to escape from the Army…
他为此已经等了很久了
…for which he had been searching.
这里离普鲁士盟军据点 只有几哩路
It was only a few miles to the area occupied by their Prussian allies…
这位军官的制♥服♥跟证件
…where this Officer’s uniform and papers…
能让他自♥由♥离开,不会启人疑窦
…should allow him to travel without suspicion…
没有人会发现他成了逃兵
…and stay ahead of the news of his desertion.
那么我们还有一点时间在一起
Then, we’ll have little time together.
你在生我的气吗?
Are you cross with me?
该死,我无法生你的气生太久
Damn you, I can’t stay cross with you for long.
强纳森
Oh, Jonathan…
这种时候让我了解我多么在乎你
…at times like this I realize how much I care for you…
没有你的话,生命会是一片空白
…and how empty life would be without you.
佛迪瑞克!
Frederick!
巴里很高兴见到普鲁士步兵团
Barry was glad to see the uniforms of the Prussian Infantry.
这证明他已经离开英格兰占领区
They showed him that he was out of English-occupied territory.
他打算到荷兰去
His intention was to make for Holland…
当时欧洲唯一的中立国
…almost the only neutral country of Europe, in those times…
从那里想办法回家
…and thence to get a passage home, somehow.
一路前进时…
As he rode away…
巴里觉得很安心
…Barry felt he was now in his proper sphere.
决定他再也不要从军
And determined never again to fall from the rank of a gentleman.
对不起,小姐
Excuse me, miss.
有什么事吗?
Yes.
你好
Good day.
你好
Good day.
你会说英文吗?
Do you speak English?
我会说一点英文
I’m speaking little.
我整天没东西可吃
I have not eaten all day, no food.
附近有旅馆能让我吃点东西吗?
Is there an inn nearby where I might have a meal?
不,我想应该没有
No…I don’t think so.
在葛鲁堡之前 没有地方可以让你吃东西
There is nothing to eat before Grounberg.
你住在附近吗?
Do you live near here?
对
Yes.
你能给我一点东西吃吗? 我很乐意付你钱
Would you…feed me? I’d be happy to pay you.
我想应该没问题
I think so.
是男孩或女孩?
Is it a boy or girl?
男孩
A boy.
他叫什么名字?
What’s his name?
彼得
Peter.
彼得多大了?
How old is he?
他已经一岁了
He’s one year old.
彼得的父亲人呢?
Where is Peter’s father?
你是说,他在哪里?
Where he is?
对
Yes.
他去打仗了
In the war.
他离开多久了?
How long has he been gone?
抱歉,我听不懂
Sorry…I didn’t understand.
什么?
What?
非常久了
Oh! A long time.
他在春天时离开
Since springtime.
你一个人带孩子一定很辛苦
It must be hard for you to be alone.
没错
It is.
你上战场一定很危险
It must be dangerous for you in the war.
我是军官,必须完成任务
I’m an Officer and must do my duty.
你有时候会…
You are sometimes…
寂寞吗?
…lonely?
有时候会的
Sometimes.
你说你叫什么名字?
What did you say your name is?
费肯汉少尉
Lieutenant Fakenham.
不,我是说
No, I mean…
费肯汉之前的名字?
…what is the name before Fakenham?
我的名字吗?
My first name?
强纳森
Jonathan.
强纳森?
Jonathan?
你要不要…
Would you like…
留下来陪我?
…to stay with me?
几天就好?
For a few days, or sometimes?
我非常愿意
That would be very nice.
再见,美丽的莉丝琴
Goodbye, my beautiful Lischen.
再见,瑞德蒙
Goodbye, Redmond.
我爱你
I love you.
我爱你
I love you.
好好照顾自己
Look after yourself.
愿上帝与你同在
God be with you.
爱上军人的女人
A lady who sets her heart on a lad in uniform…
必须有很快 就得换爱人的心理准备
…must prepare to change lovers pretty quickly…
不然她会过着悲惨的一生
…or her life will be a sad one.
莉丝琴的心跟邻近的小镇一样
This heart of Lischen’s was like many a neighboring town…
在巴里来访之前 已经多次遭到入侵进驻
…and had been stormed and occupied many times before Barry came to invest it.
在五年战争里
During five years of war…
赫赫有名的腓特烈国王 耗尽国内的男丁人口
…the illustrious Frederick had so exhausted the males of his kingdom…
到了必须派出募兵官的地步
…that he had to employ recruiters…
他们不择手段,甚至绑♥架♥平民
…who would commit any crime, including kidnapping…
以源源不绝的供应给 国王英勇的炮灰大队
…to keep supplied those brilliant regiments of his with cannon fodder.
晚安,先生
Good evening, sir.
我是波兹杜夫上尉,请问尊姓大名
I’m Captain Potzdorf. To whom have I the honor of speaking?
晚安,我是费肯汉少尉 隶属盖尔步兵团
Good evening. I’m Lieutenant Fakenham, Gale’s Regiment of Foot.
幸会
Pleased to meet you.
有什么需要我们协助的吗?
Can we be of assistance to you?
谢谢,但我带着重要情报 必须继续前进
Thank you, but I am carrying urgent dispatches and must continue on my way.
你的目的地是?
And your destination?
我要前往不来梅
Bremen.
那么你一定是迷路了,少尉