“愿颂赞归与我们的主
“O blessed Lord…
就是发慈悲的父、赐各样安慰的神
“…the Father of mercies and God of all comforts.
我们请求祢的垂怜跟同情
“We beseech Thee, look down in pity and compassion upon this…
赐福给祢的仆人
“…Thy afflicted servant.
祢按罪状刑罚她…
“Thou writest bitter things against her…
又使她担当从前的罪孽”
“…and makest her to possess her former iniquities.”
总是那么敏感紧张的夫人
Her Ladyship, always vaporish and nervous…
躲进宗教里
…plunged into devotion…
狂热到可以想像 有时她根本是失去理智
…with so much fervor that you would have imagined her distracted at times.
哈克顿堡笼罩在一片愁云惨雾中
In the doleful conditions which now prevailed at Castle Hackton…
家务跟林登家产业的管理工作
…management of the household, and of the Lyndon estate…
落在巴里太太的肩上 她有条不紊的…
…fell to Mrs. Barry, whose spirit of order…
仔细关注庞大产业所有的细节
…attended to all the details of a great establishment.
请进
Come in.
你找我吗,老夫人?
You wish to see me, madam?
是的,牧师,请坐
Yes, Reverend. Please sit down.
待会儿我有些事 要跟你讨论,葛瑞恩
I have some matters I would like to discuss later, Graham…
不过先去找夫人
…but just now would you go to Her Ladyship…
请她签一下这些文件
…and have her sign these papers.
是的,老夫人
Yes, madam.
兰特牧师
Reverend Runt…
我不需要告诉你 这个家最近遭逢巨变
…I need not tell you that the recent tragedy to this family…
这里不再需要家教服务
…has made the services of a tutor no longer required here.
我们的财务出现困难
And as we are in considerable difficulty about money…
虽然很不愿意,恐怕我得请你
…I’m afraid I must ask you, with the greatest reluctance…
辞去你的职务
…to resign your post.
老夫人,我了解你的苦衷
Madam, I’m sensible of your predicament…
你不需要担心我的薪资 我愿意不支薪
…and you need have no concern about my wages, I can willingly forego them…
但现在这个状况 我是不会离开夫人的
…but it is out of the question for me to leave Her Ladyship in her present state.
我很遗憾必须这么跟你说
I’m sorry to say this to you…
我相信她会变成这样都是你的错
…but I believe you are largely responsible for her present state of mind.
你越早离开,对她来说越好
The sooner you leave, the better she will be.
老夫人,我无意不敬
Madam, with the greatest respect…
但我只听夫人的命令
…I take my instructions only from Her Ladyship.
兰特牧师
Reverend Runt…
夫人无法给任何人命令
…Her Ladyship is in no fit mind to give instructions to anyone.
我儿子授权予我 处理哈克顿堡的事务
My son has charged me with managing the affairs at Castle Hackton…
直到他从悲伤中恢复过来 能再度处理堡内事务为止
…until he recovers from his grief and resumes his interest in worldly matters.
现在由我掌权
And while I’m in charge…
你得听命于我
…you’ll take your instructions from me.
我只是为了林登夫人好
My only concern is for Lady Lyndon.
老夫人
Madam…
你只是要夫人的签名
…your only concern is for Her Ladyship’s signature.
你跟你儿子成功地花光了这个家的钱
You and your son have almost succeeded in destroying a fine family fortune.
你们唯一的生机
And what little remains for you…
就是把夫人关在自己家里
…depends on keeping Her Ladyship prisoner in her own home.
兰特牧师
Reverend Runt…
这件事没得商量
…this matter bears no further discussion.
你得打包行李,明天就滚蛋
You will pack your bags and leave by tomorrow.
上帝,救救我!
God, help. Help!
在极度悲伤中…
In the midst of these great perplexities…
夫人企图服毒自杀
…Her Ladyship made an attempt to kill herself by taking poison.
她只是让自己病得更重
Though she only made herself dangerously ill…
因为她服用的毒药剂量太少
…due to the very small amount which she swallowed…
但这也让某人终于出手干预了
…this, nevertheless, caused an intervention from a certain quarter…
虽然可说是为时已晚
…which was long overdue.
天啊
Oh, my God!
如果我妈死了
If my mother had died…
感觉我也有责任
…it would’ve been as much my responsibility…
就像是我亲手喂她吃毒药一样
…as if I had poured the strychnine for her myself.
这有损我家族的名誉
For to the everlasting disgrace of my family name…
只因为我的懦弱跟不成材
…I have, by my cowardice and my weakness…
让巴里家族为所欲为
…allowed the Barrys to establish a brutal…
无知冷酷地毁了我们的人生
…and ignorant tyranny over our lives…
让我妈变成一个病人
…which has left my mother a broken woman…
让他们态意掠夺我们家的财产
…and to squander and ruin a fine family fortune.
我的朋友表示同情,但是背着我
My friends profess sympathy, but behind my back…
我知道他们看不起我
…I know I am despised.
那也是合理的
And quite justifiably so.
但是…
However…
现在我知道我该怎么办
…I know now what I must do.
我该做什么
And what I shall do.
不计代价
Whatever be the cost.
早安,爵爷
Good morning, My Lord.
早安
Good morning.
巴里林登先生在这里吗?
Is Mr. Barry Lyndon here?
是的,爵爷,他在里面
Yes, My Lord, he’s inside.
谢谢
Thank you.
瑞德蒙巴里先生
Mr. Redmond Barry.
上次我们见面
The last occasion on which we met…
你蓄意伤害我,剥夺我的尊严
…you wantonly caused me injury and dishonor.
如此的恶行 以及卑劣的程度
In such a manner, and to such an extent no gentleman can willingly suffer…
不论过了多久
…without demanding satisfaction…
我都无法原谅你
…however much time intervenes.
现在我要跟你决斗
I have now come to claim that satisfaction.
林登先生
Mr. Lyndon…
这两把枪一模一样,你应该看到了
…these are a matched pair of pistols, and as you have seen…
你的手下帮一把枪上了膛 另一把枪由我上膛
…your second has loaded one, and I have loaded the other.
这都是布林顿子爵的枪 你可以选择要用哪一把枪
As they belong to Lord Bullingdon, you may have whichever one you wish.
布林顿子爵
Lord Bullingdon.
两位男士,为了决定谁先开枪
Now, gentlemen, to determine who will have first fire…
我会掷铜板
…I will toss a coin in the air.
身为受辱的一方,布林顿子爵 有权猜铜板落在哪一面
As the offended party, it is Lord Bullingdon’s choice to call the toss.
两位都同意吗?
Is that agreeable to both of you?
同意
Yes.
如果布林顿子爵猜对了 由他先开枪
If Lord Bullingdon calls correctly he will have the first fire.
如果他猜错了 由林登先生先开枪
If incorrectly, Mr. Lyndon will have the first fire.
两位都明白了吗?
Is that clearly understood?
您猜哪一面,布林顿子爵?
What is your call, Lord Bullingdon?
正面
Heads.
是正面
It is heads.
布林顿子爵先开枪
Lord Bullingdon will have the first fire.
布林顿子爵
Lord Bullingdon…
您可以就位了
…will you take your ground?
一,二,三
One…two…three…
四,五,六
…four…five…six…
七,八,九,十
…seven…eight…nine…ten.
林登先生,请就位
Mr. Lyndon, will you take your ground?
林登先生,你准备好面对 布林顿子爵的攻击了吗?
Mr. Lyndon, are you ready to receive Lord Bullingdon’s fire?
是的
Yes.
布林顿子爵…
Lord Bullingdon…
请举枪
…cock your pistol…
准备射击
…and prepare to fire.
理查爵爷,这把枪有问题
Sir Richard, this pistol must be faulty.
我要换另一把枪
I must have another one.
对不起,布林顿子爵,您得站好
I’m sorry, Lord Bullingdon, but you must first stand your ground…
让林登先生可以还击
…and allow Mr. Lyndon his turn to fire.
没错,布林顿子爵
That is correct, Lord Bullingdon.
您已经开过枪,那样就算数了
Your pistol has fired, and that counts as your shot.
林登先生,您清楚开枪的规定吗?
Mr. Lyndon, are the rules of firing clear to you?
清楚
Yes.
布林顿子爵
Lord Bullingdon…
您准备好面对 林登先生的攻击了吗?
…are you ready to receive Mr. Lyndon’s fire?
是的
Yes.
好吧
Very well, then.
林登先生
Mr. Lyndon…
请举枪
…cock your pistol…
准备射击
…and prepare to fire.
您没事吧,布林顿子爵?
Are you ready, Lord Bullingdon?
你的枪好了吗,林登先生?
Is your pistol cocked, Mr. Lyndon?