贫穷、孤单
…poor, lonely…
没有子嗣送终
…and childless.
爸爸
Papa.
什么事,布莱恩?
Yes, Bryan?
你能送我一匹马吗?
Will you buy me a horse?
送你一匹马?
Buy you a horse?
是的,爸爸
Yes, Papa.
但你已经有小茱莉亚了
But you already have little Julia.
它只是一匹小马,我要真的马
She’s only a pony, I want a real horse.
那样子我就能跟你骑马去打猎
Then I can ride with you on the hunt.
你觉得你大到可以去打猎了?
You think you’re big enough for the hunt?
当然,爸爸
Oh, yes!
强纳森普兰奇特只比我大一岁 他跟他爸爸一起去骑马
Jonathan Plunkett is only a year older than I am and he rides with his papa.
我会考虑一下
I’ll have to think about it.
拜托你答应我 我真的好想要一匹马
Please, say yes. There’s nothing I want in the whole world more than a horse.
我会考虑的
I’ll think about it.
谢谢你,爸爸
Oh, thank you, Papa. Thank you!
那匹马要多少钱?
How much are you asking for him?
一百基尼
One hundred guineas.
它是匹好马 但我不觉得它值那么多钱
He’s a nice little horse, but I don’t think he’s worth that.
我想七十五基尼还差不多
Seventy-five seems more like the right price.
我接受八十基尼,不能再少了
I’ll accept eighty guineas, and not a shilling less.
我们不该为五基尼伤了和气 就八十基尼吧
Five guineas should never keep two gentlemen from their drink. Eighty then.
成交,先生
Done, sir.
将马带到杜兰农场 跟他说马需要训练一下
Take the horse to Doolan’s farm. Tell him he needs a bit of breaking in.
就说这是布莱恩少爷的生日礼物 我希望这是个惊喜
Say it’s for Master Bryan’s birthday, and I want it to be a surprise.
千万别忘记了
And remember that yourself.
是的,主人
Yes, sir.
爸爸
Papa.
怎么了,儿子?
What is it, lad?
你买♥♥了马吗?
Did you buy the horse?
马?什么马?
What horse is that?
你要送我当生日礼物的马
The horse you were going to buy me for my birthday.
我不知道有马的事
I know nothing about any horse.
但马房♥管♥理♥员♥跟尼利说 你已经买♥♥了一匹马
But one of the stable boys told Nelly you’d already bought it…
还把它送到杜兰农场 要米克帮它做训练
…and it was at Doolan’s farm where Mick the groom was breaking it in.
那是真的吗?
Is that true?
布莱恩,你什么时候过生日?
When is your birthday?
下个星期二
Next Tuesday.
到时候你就会知道
Well, you’ll have to wait till then to find out.
那是真的!谢谢你,爸爸
Then, it’s true! Oh, thank you, Papa.
布莱恩
Bryan?
布莱恩
Bryan?
什么事,妈妈?
Yes, Mama?
答应我,跟爸爸出去时 你才能骑那匹马
Promise me you won’t ride that horse except with your father.
好的,妈妈,我答应你
Yes, Mama, I promise.
如果你乖乖的,我答应你
And I promise you a good flogging…
过生日前你可以到杜兰农场看马
…if you even go to Doolan’s farm to see him before your birthday.
是的,爸爸
Yes, Papa.
你懂吗?
You understand?
是的,爸爸
Yes, Papa.
你能答应我吗?
You promise me?
好的,爸爸,我答应
Yes, Papa, I promise.
好吧,快去吃饭
All right, eat your food.
进来
Come in.
早安
Good morning, sir.
早安,牧师
Good morning, Reverend.
抱歉打扰你,林登先生
I’m sorry to trouble you, Mr. Lyndon…
我相信布莱恩少爷不听从你的命令
…but I believe Master Bryan has disobeyed you…
偷溜到杜兰农场
…and stolen away to Doolan’s farm.
今天早上我到他的房♥间 发现床上空无一人
On going to his room this morning, I found his bed empty.
天亮时一位厨师看到他跑过庭院
One of the cooks saw him cross the yard at daybreak.
你不知道他偷跑吗?
Didn’t you see him go?
他一定是趁我睡着时溜出去的
He must have passed through my room while I was asleep.
天啊,发生了什么事?
Oh, my God! What has happened here?
我注意到这孩子骑马跑过田野
I noticed the lad riding across the field, sir…
他没办法控制狂奔的马
…and having trouble with the horse, which was playing up.
突然间马摔倒 这可怜的孩子被甩了出去
Suddenly the animal plunged and reared, and the poor lad was thrown.
布莱恩,为什么你不听我的话?
Oh, Bryan, why did you disobey me?
对不起,爸爸
I’m sorry, Papa.
你不会打我吧?
You won’t whip me, will you?
不会的,亲爱的
No, my darling.
我不会打你
I won’t whip you.
威廉,骑我的马去找布洛顿医生
Take my horse and ride like the Devil for Doctor Broughton.
跟他说不论他在做什么 都得立刻赶过来,懂吗?
Tell him whatever he’s doing he must come at once. Understand?
遵命,大人
Yes, sir.
他找来医生
The doctors were called.
但医生能打败死神吗?
But what does a doctor avail in a contest with the grim, invincible enemy?
医生说这可怜的孩子没救了
Such as came could only confirm the hopelessness of the poor child’s case.
他只多活了两天
He remained with his parents for two days.
令人稍感安慰的是 他没有任何的痛苦
And a sad comfort it was to know he was in no pain.
爸爸
Papa.
爸爸
Papa.
我会死掉吗?
Am I going to die?
不,亲爱的 你不会死掉,你会好起来
No, my darling, you’re not going to die. You’re going to get better.
但除了手,我一点感觉都没有
But I can’t feel anything, except in my hands.
那表示我其他的部分死了吗?
Does that mean I’m already dead in part of my body?
不,亲爱的,你摔下马时 那些部分受了伤
No, my darling, that’s where you were hurt by the horse.
但你会好起来的
But you’re going to be all right.
爸爸,如果我死了 我会上天堂吗?
Papa, if I die, will I go to heaven?
当然你会上天堂,亲爱的
Of course you will, my darling…
但你不会死
…but you’re not going to die.
妈妈,把手伸过来
Mama, give me your hand.
爸爸,把手伸过来
Papa, give me your hand.
你们能答应我一件事吗?
Will you both promise me something?
当然可以
Yes.
答应我你们不会再吵架
Promise me never to quarrel so.
你们会深爱彼此
But to love each other.
我们会在天堂再度相会
So that we may meet again, in heaven…
布林顿说爱吵架的人不会上天堂
…where Bullingdon said quarrelsome people will never go.
我们答应你
We promise.
你能跟我说堡垒的故事吗?
Will you tell me the story about the fort?
当然
Of course.
我们突击堡垒
We crept up on the fort.
我先翻过墙,我的部下跟着我翻墙
I jumped over the wall first, and my fellows jumped after me.
你该看看那些法国人…
And you should have seen the look…
脸上的表情 面对23位勇敢的士兵带剑跟手♥枪♥
…on the Frenchmen’s faces when 23 he-devils, sword and pistol…
一路冲刺,爬进他们的堡垒里
…cut and thrust, came tumbling into the fort.
三分钟内…
In three minutes…
我们就离开了…
…we left….
“我是复活和生命”,上帝说
“‘I am the resurrection and the life,’ saith the Lord.
“信我的人,虽然死了
“‘He that believeth in me, though he were dead…
也必复活
“‘…yet shall he live.
凡活着信我的人
“‘And whosoever liveth and believeth in me…
必永远不死
“‘…shall never die.’
我知道我的救世主活着
“I know that my Redeemer liveth…
末了必站立在地上
“…and that He shall stand at the latter day upon the earth.
我这皮肉灭绝之后
“And though after my skin worms destroy this body…
我必在肉体之外得见神
“…yet in my flesh shall I see God.
我自己要见祂,亲眼要见祂
“Whom I shall see for myself and mine eyes shall behold…
并不像外人
“…and not another.
因为我们没有带什么到世上来
“We brought nothing into this world…
也不能带什么去
“…and it is certain we can carry nothing out.
赏赐的是上帝,收取的也是上帝
“The Lord gave, and the Lord hath taken away.
上帝的名是应当称颂的”
“Blessed is the name of the Lord.”
巴里的悲伤无可言喻
Barry’s grief was inconsolable.
他只能靠酒精麻痹自己
Such solace as he could find, came only from drink.
面对这样的不幸 只有他母亲仍然忠诚的看护他
His mother was the only person who would remain faithful to him in his misfortune.
许多夜晚 他不知道是她在照顾他
And many a night, when he was unconscious of her attention…
确定要人扶他上♥床♥
…saw him carried off to bed.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!