公众对他形象的认识
the public’s perception of who he was.
第一个找来了一个女孩 第二个则把他塑造成了
First one was to get him a girl and the second was to make him
重金属的风格
a heavy metal kind of guy.
一开始我们是准备
The original idea was to have…
用季风或者暴风雨来结尾
The thing finished in a monsoon or a rainstorm.
第二天 准备将整个舞台都吹走
The second day, we were going to have the whole stage blow away
让他在雨中终结
and have him finish in the rain totally…
就是大风大雨之类的
The wind and rain and stuff,
我们是准备把观众什么的都”横扫”了
and I think we were going to sweep away the audience and everything.
但第一天他做跪滑动作的时候 没有用护膝
But the first day he was doing these knee slides and didn’t put pads on.
第二天我们在准备人工降雨的时候
He came to me the second day when we were ready for all this rain stuff
他找到我说”我没法跳舞了”
and said, “I can’t dance any more.”
所以不能按计划行事了 不过没关系
So we couldn’t resolve it that way, but it didn’t matter.
所以就只有第一天的大风了
You see the wind and stuff on the first day,
然后大雨什么的只能猜想了
it starts, and I guess there was going to be a deluge after that.
他们都没有告诉我
They didn’t even tell me that
当时拍的那张照片会变成单曲封面
The photo taken at that time will be the single cover
我看到的那天就想”开玩笑吧”
It showed up one day and I went, “I can’t… Are you kidding?”
Michael总是能够突破黑人艺术家的界限
Michael always was able to think outside the box of what
创造出属于他自己的空间
black artists were supposed to do and create his own space.
Michael有一种内在的机制
There was this internal mechanism that Michael had when he felt
当他感受到音乐和合适的节奏 当鼓点同步的感觉
the music. When the rhythms were right and when the beats were
以及正确的重音和♥弦♥响起
happening, when the correct emphasis was happening and the syncopation,
他的身体必须动起来 他必须跳舞 当他开始跳舞
he’d have to move, he’d have to dance and when he’d start to dance,
我们就知道都准备好了
we would know that the balance was correct, the elements had
所有的元素的感觉都到位了 同步感也到位了
the right character, the syncopation was hitting in the right fashion.
Michael给我音乐 他说 听着
Michael gave me the music and he said, “Listen,
不要把你的想法 你的感受 你的编舞
“don’t impose your opinion, or your feelings, or your choreography,
你的思绪强加在音乐上
“or your thoughts on the music.
让音乐自己告诉你它想怎么表现
“Let the music talk to you and tell you what it wants to be.”
我们第一次讨论他对录影带的想法
First time we discussed it, he had got these
他的脑海中有一些画面
visions in his mind of what he wanted to do.
机器人 汽车 孩子 毒品
The robot, the car, the kids, the drugs.
因为我 这世界上的每个孩子都可以吸毒
Every kid in this whole world can take drugs because of me.
我们要怎么把这些元素融入一个故事
And how do we bring it all together into a story that had
其中还有一首歌♥和舞蹈
a piece in the middle, which was the song and dance.
我们开始以芝加哥之夜为主题编舞
So we started working on some stuff, it was called Chicago Nights,
其实就是Smooth Criminal
which was really Smooth Criminal.
他是Fred Astaire的忠实粉丝
He was a huge fan of Fred Astaire and wanted to make sure
他要在片子中向Astaire致敬
that he paid homage to Fred Astaire in the movie.
“为了了解有关罪犯的舞蹈 要观看所有录像中的伟大舞步
“For Criminal Dance, look at all the great dances on tape.
要青出于蓝而胜于蓝
“Study the great and become greater.
熟悉所有Bob Fosse电影中的舞步
“Get all Bob Fosse movie, dances.
仔细全面学习 知晓每一个剪辑 动作 音乐等等
“Study these inside out, knowing every cut, move, music etc.
闪舞 爵士春秋 蓬车队 追女仔”
“Flashdance, All That Jazz, Band Wagon, girl hunt…”
这副手绘的标题是罪犯的外套
This is a drawing titled “Criminal Jacket,”
他设计了衣服的大概线条
and you can see that he has created the basic outline for the jacket
那是要在短片里穿的 包括了手臂上袖套
that he wound up wearing in that short film, including the armband.
他还给自己写了备注
And he also made a note to himself that he needed to
拿来他的Kenny鞋好配衣服
get his Kenny shoes now so that he could break them in.
谈到影片风格 我给Michael看了一部 我最爱的老电影
But when it came to style, I showed Michael an all-time favourite
<第三人> 那是部说帮派的电影
of mine which was The Third Man, because it’s sort of gangster-ish.
我想我们可以参考那种风格
“We should shoot it in that kind of style,”
他很喜欢
and he just loved that style.
我们使用了电影中
And making use of the shadows that they had with that
影子部分的桥段
sort of film noir look.
Quincy很多年前有跟我说过一个事
There’s a story actually that Quincy told me years ago
Michael有个特别的本事
and what he said was that Michael had the ability to come in, he could
他可以在他的主音音轨基础上降调
lay down the lead vocal of a track and then he could sit there, listen,
他就站那听着 然后把所有和音都定下来
just put the time in and figure out where all the harmonies should go
然后直到把所有和音都搞定了才走
and then do that, not leave until he had the harmonies right.
所以Smooth Criminal 才可以有这样惊人的和声效果
When I think of Smooth Criminal, I will just impress again the vocal.
他的音域可以从男低音到男高音
He could sing bass, baritone and tenor,
但他最常用的是男高音
but he chose to sing mostly tenor.
他可以唱低音C 那是最低的调
He goes straight down to bass low C, that is low, that is a bust out
他可以低到那个位子
pitch and Michael would go right on down there with vibrato
然后瞬间唱到G调上的高音C
and clear up to a G above high C.
这对他来说驾轻就熟 这可不止3个八度了
I mean, that’s enormous, that’s more than three and a half octaves.
他真的不想长大 他想保留孩子时的声音
He really didn’t want to grow up. He wanted a child’s voice
我一直在鼓励他 用他那好听的说话声音
and I always tried to encourage him to use his beautiful speaking voice.
我有一次在欧洲接他的电♥话♥ 他一开口
I was in Europe one time and the phone rang and he said,
“你好” 非常完美的男性低音 我说
“Hello,” in a perfectly male voice, baritone and I said,
“Michael 你怎么不用这个声音”
“Michael, why don’t you use that.”
他回答”我不喜欢那么低的声音 我喜欢这样的高音”
He said, “I don’t like it down there. I like it up there.”
你还要练多久
How long you want to stick with this?
我想再唱高点
I want to be all the way open.
他唱的那些歌♥
With some of the songs that he was singing,
需要更宽广的音域 而Seth Riggs指导下的
he needed a much wider vocal range and with the exercises that
发声练习起了作用
Seth Riggs provides for him, it enabled
帮助他打开了音域 这样他就能唱得更高或更低
him to open up his range so he can sing much higher and much lower.
我必须确保他的声音
I had to make sure he and his voice
从低音到高音都是均衡的
was even from bottom to top.
我发明了一些奇怪的练习
I have some very strange exercises
与比较流行的普通方法完全不同
that are different from most people’s,
被称作语速发音练习
they’re called speech-level singing,
我们要做的是一些疯狂的举动 比如
so we started doing these crazy things.
有时是
Sometimes there is…
我为P.Y.T唱了小样
I sampled P.Y.T for Good Life.
我还在Leo家遇见过他
I actually met him at Leo’s house.
他说他喜欢我的声音
He said he liked my voice and then
我觉得我把这话看太重了
I think I took that too seriously
然后就整张专辑都试唱了
and I did a whole singing album. HE LAUGHS
Michael在所有录音的时候 用的都是这个麦
This is the mic that are used on Michael at about this distance
大约在这个距离上
through for all the recordings.
只有一首歌♥例外 Earth Song
Except one, Earth Song.
这个麦其实是用来录旁白的
This is actually a mic that is designed for narration recording,
但我知道这个麦的音质
however, I knew that the sound of this mic would work
适合Michael的声音
well with Michael’s voice.
我一直没想明白Annie是谁 还有Annie好不好
I’ve never quite understood who Annie was and why did it matter
到底有什么关系
if she was OK or not.
到底谁是Annie啊 我小时候一直很迷糊啊 告诉我Annie是谁啊
Who is Annie? I never knew that as a kid. Let me know who Annie is.
就在这个角落里 有个绿色的玻纤箱子
Over in this corner there was a green fibreglass case
箱子里有个 练习心脏复苏术的人体模型
and there was a CPR dummy in the case.
Michael曾学过心脏复苏
Michael had been given CPR lessons.
开始心脏复苏术时的第一步
The first thing that you do when you’re going to administer CPR
就是了解接受者的情况
is you make a determination of the condition of the victim.
要心脏复苏的时候 他就会说 “你还好吗 你还好吗”
He’s about to do CPR on someone, he’s like, “Are you OK? Are you OK?”
哇! 他认为一定要救的那个人会是谁呢?
Wow! Whose life did he think he was going to have to save?
用来练习心脏复苏的人体模型都叫Annie
CPR dummies are all named Annie.
他就一直重复问Annie到底还好不好啦
He just kept asking was Annie OK?
“Annie你还好吗” 这句话你能用多少种方式说呢
How many different ways can you say, “Annie, are you OK?”
他用了15种不同的调子 重复”Annie 你还好吗”
And he found like 15 different ways to say, “Annie, are you OK?”
他就这样”你好吗 你好吗 你还好吗 你到底好不好啊 Annie”
It’s like, “Are you OK? Are you OK? Are you OK? Are you OK, Annie?
“你好吧 Annie 你好吗”
“Annie, are you OK? Are you OK? Are you OK, Annie? Annie, are you OK?”
我真心觉得她一点也不OK
It’s like, OK, I don’t think she’s OK.
我得承认我一直不是很喜欢这首歌♥
I’ve got to be honest, I was never a big fan of that song.
Michael却爱它爱到每一个音符
You know, Michael loved it to pieces.
拍录影带的时候 我从来没把音乐放那么响过
I remember we went to do the video on that, I never heard…
大概135个分贝 太响了 耳朵都要震掉了
It must have then 135 decibels. Loud! Man, ears were falling off.
一开始我们用了大概10到12个舞者
We started with maybe like 10 or 12 dancers and he then
然后他介绍我认识了Jeffery 并且他表示”希望Jeffrey也参与进来”
introduced me to Jeffrey and he said, “I’d like Jeffrey to be
他和Jeffrey研究过街头风格的舞步
“part of this and maybe there’s some street stuff, because I’ve been
私底下他也教过他这些舞步
“working with Jeffrey privately and he is teaching me some staff.”
关键是Michael Jackson不可以去夜店玩
The thing about it is Michael can go out to clubs and hang out
因为他是Michael Jackson
because he’s Michael Jackson.
通过我 他可以了解普罗大众的喜好
So through me he was picking up what was happening in the hood
而我会把这些信息带到他的家 在Hayvenhurst的艺术殿堂
and I’m taking it to his gallery over at the Jackson house in Hayvenhurst.
我叫Phyllis Brooks
My name is Phyllis Brooks
我有个问题问你们全体成员
and I want to direct my question to all you guys.
是谁教你们跳舞的
Who taught you guys your dance steps?

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!