真是一团糟。 -怎么了,普林格尔夫人?
This is a hopeless mess. -What’s the matter, Mrs. Pringle?
这些笨蛋没一个像你一样有艺术才能,心灵手巧
Not one of these nitwits has as much artistic ability as you have in your baby finger.
女士们,我让雪莉小姐负责这里
Ladies, I am putting Miss Shirley in charge here.
让我想想
Let me see.
我建议你们把它们做成像这样的玫瑰花结,然后和彩带挂在一起
I suggest you gather it up in rosettes like this, and then we’ll hang them with the festoons afterward.
我们都对你在学院的排演印象深刻,雪莉小姐
We were all so impressed with your production at the college, Miss Shirley.
想想看你是怎样改变了摩根·哈里斯的小姑娘
And to think how you’ve transformed Morgan Harris’ little girl.
自从那个可怜的孩子出生以来,他几乎没怎么管她
He’s hardly had anything to do with the poor child since she was born.
他的阿德莱德去世真是不幸,她是一位少见的美人
Such a tragedy when his Adelaide died. She was a rare beauty.
哈里斯老夫人和普林格尔的母亲是表亲
Old Mrs. Harris and Mother Pringle are first cousins,
我知道哈里斯一家是如何把自己与大家隔绝的
and I know how the Harrises have cut themselves off from everybody.
她离家出走是摩根的错,他在女士们中名声很差
It was Morgan’s fault that she ran away and left him. Terrible reputation with the ladies.
他们说阿德莱德真的是死于心碎。 -我敢肯定这些年来他一直感到内疚
They say Adelaide really died of a broken heart. -I’m sure he’s felt so guilty all these years,
他受不了那孩子的目视。 -更可能是,他受不了那位老太太
that he can’t stand the sight of the child. -More than likely, it’s the old lady he can’t stand.
好吧,我知道他一直在和艾薇拉·伊万斯约会
Well, I know for a fact that he has been seeing Elvira Evans,
波士顿的标准石油财团
standard oil fortune from Boston.
她在枫树台住了两个星期
She has been staying for last two weeks at Maplehurst,
至少我嫂子是这么告诉我的。 -你认识摩根表亲吧,雪莉小姐?
or so my sister-in-law tells me. -You’ve gotten to know cousin Morgan, haven’t you, Miss Shirley?
是的,我们在几次郊游中见过,他很有魅力
Yes, we’ve met on several outings. He’s very charming.
今天下午我们要带伊万斯小姐参观一下这个老镇,艾米琳
We’re going to give Miss Evans a tour of the old town, this afternoon, Emmeline.
“亲爱的雪莉小姐,请接受我们对您的新书《埃文利花絮》的祝贺
“Dear Miss Shirley, Please accept our congratulations on your book entitled
“随函附上我们的250美元支票一张
Avonlea Vignettes. Enclosed is our check for $250
“作为我们版税的预付款”
as advanced against our royalties.”
安妮!
Anne!
哦,你好。 -安妮
oh, hello. -Anne.
我希望能遇见你,我们憧憬你回枫树台
I was hoping to run into you. We’ve missed having you back at Maplehurst.
可以想像,你一定很难离开你的重要客人
I can imagine it must be very difficult for you to get away from your important guest.
是的,是的,但请让… -不用道歉,我确实理解
Yes, yes it is. But please let- -Don’t apologize. I do understand.
再见,先生
Good day, sir.
我可以载你回学院吗? -不了,谢谢
May I offer you a ride back to the College? -No, thank you.
是什么让你心事重重啊,雪莉小姐?
What’s nagging you, Miss Shirley?
你的样子更像一位年老的女教师(老处♥女♥)
You’re behaving rather like a spinsterly old schoolmarm,
你不觉得吗? -也许那是因为我根本就是
don’t you think? -Perhaps that is because I am one.
我这么说是怀着钦佩之情,意味着恭维。我非常支持独♥立♥思考
I say that with admiration, meant as a compliment. I’m a great proponent of independent thinking.
此外,我一直认为,早婚是一种明确的迹象
Moreover, I’ve always held that early marriage is a sure
表明二流商品必须匆忙出♥售♥
indication of second-rate goods that had to be sold in a hurry.
你不同意吗? -好吧,你可以确定我是一流的了,摩根·哈里斯
Wouldn’t you agree? -Well, you can be sure I am of the first-rate kind, Morgan Harris.
而我当然有比结婚更远大的抱负
And I certainly have far greater ambition than marriage,
哦,如果这就是你所含沙射影的“心事重重”的话
oh, if that is what you’re insinuating is “nagging” me.
我即将出版一部短篇小说,恐怕这事已经把我完全占据了
I’m about to have a short work of fiction published. I’m afraid it has me completely preoccupied.
好吧,那么,请允许我表示祝贺。 -再见
Well, then, let me offer my congratulations. -Good day.
安妮
Anne.
安妮,对不起,我本不该提出这样拐弯抹角的邀请的
Anne, I am sorry. I ought not to have made such a back-handed invitation.
我一直想让妈妈邀请你回枫树台
I’ve been meaning to ask mother to invite you back to Maplehurst.
你可真是和蔼可亲
How gracious of you.
但是我的日程排得太满了,我肯定挤不进去
But my schedule is so jam-packed, I’m sure I won’t be able to squeeze it in.
我相信你明晚会参加医院慈善活动吧?
I take it you’ll attend the Hospital Benefit tomorrow evening?
是的,我在做义工。 -我期待着在那里见到你
Yes, I’m working as a volunteer. -I shall look forward to seeing you there.
你能赏光在你的名片上给我留一支华尔兹吗,雪莉小姐?
Would you do me the honor, Miss Shirley, of reserving me a waltz on your card?
当然,我很乐意,摩根·哈里斯…
Of course. I’d be please to, Morgan Harris…
谢谢。 -如果有华尔兹空位给你的话
Thank you. -If I have a waltz space for you.
好了,你们觉得怎么样?
Well, what do you think?
哦,你看起来像一位《吉布森》杂♥志♥封♥面♥女♥郎♥
Oh, you look like a Gibson Magazine cover.
也许某位浪漫的艺术家会爱上你,并要求为你作画
Perhaps some romantic artist will fall for you and ask to paint your picture.
哦,雪莉小姐,等我18岁了,我也要把头发梳成那样
Oh, Miss Shirley, I’m going to wear my hair just like that when I turn 18.
亲爱的,模仿是最真诚的奉承
You darlings. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
你能去看看我的计程车到了吗? 谢谢
Would you run along and see if my cab is here? Thank you.
天啊,天啊,我们要去伦敦拜访女王了,是吗?
My, my. Going to London to visit the Queen, are we?
你就不能说些好听的话吗?
Are you not capable of saying anything pleasant?
不,我没有你佯装的天赋
No, I haven’t your talent for pretending things.
你的赞美令我窒息
You take my breath away with your compliment.
你总是有些秘密的快乐,不是吗?
You always have some secret delight, don’t you?
别欺骗自己了,你永远不会成为他们中的一员
Don’t deceive yourself. You’ll never be one of them,
尽管你炫耀你的珍珠项链,把自己打扮得漂亮出奇(丢人现眼)
despite your flaunting your string of pearls and making a spectacle of yourself.
摩根·哈里斯是一位有地位和成就的男人
Morgan Harris is a man of status and achievement.
而你,亲爱的,只不过是个老师
And you, my dear, are nothing better than a teacher.
我不明白你的意思,但我真的为你感到难过,凯瑟琳
I don’t know what you mean. But I honestly feel sorry for you, Katherine.
你把身边每一个幸福的火花都都熄灭了,我不会被你的苦涩所毒害
You shut out every spark of happiness around you. I will not be poisoned by your bitterness.
你真走运,安妮·雪莉,这是我们为这家医院义卖♥♥的最大票数
You are good luck, Anne Shirley. This is the largest number of tickets we’ve ever sold for the hospital.
嗯,我喜欢尽我所能帮助别人,普林格尔夫人
Well, I enjoy helping out in any which way I can, Mrs. Pringle
别整晚都困在那张桌子后面
Don’t get stuck behind that table all night.
一定要去跳舞。 -我会的
Be sure to get a dance. -I will.
你在皇后区修过教师课程,雪莉,是不是?
You took the teachers’ course at Queen’s. Shirley, isn’t it?
安妮·雪莉,是的
Anne Shirley, yes.
刘易斯·艾伦。我记得,你赢得艾弗里奖学金
Lewis Allen. I remember, you won the Avery Scholarship and Gilbert Blythe
而吉尔伯特·布莱斯赢了金牌
won the gold medal.
是的,没错,很高兴认识你。你现在做什么,刘易斯?
Yes, that’s right. Pleased to know you. What do you do now, Lewis?
我是里士满公立学校的校长,不是世界上最冒险的地方,但是,
I am the principal of Richmond Public School. Not the most adventurous place in the world, but,
呃,和许多来自皇后区的人相比,我本人做得还不错
uh, I’ve done alright for myself, compared to a lot of others from Queens.
你跳舞和你吹牛一样好吗? -好多了
Do you dance as well as you boast? -Better.
摩根·哈里斯和那个叫伊万斯的女人抢了普林格尔家的风头
Morgan Harris certainly upstaged the Pringles with that Evans woman.
他们说她是一只完美的猫,不过价值数百万
They say she’s a perfect cat. Worth millions, though.
相信我,要给像她这样的药丸镀金,会花光他所有的金子
And believe me, it will take all his gold to gild a pill like her.
可以肯定的是,这是一对相互关联的银行账户
It’s a match of adjoining bank accounts, to be sure.
先生,晚上好,或者更确切地说,晚安。 -晚安?你答应我跳华尔兹的
Good evening, sir. Or rather, good night. -Good night? You promised me a waltz.
对不起,我的卡整个晚上都满了
I’m sorry, my card was full all evening.
你不必觉得有光顾本地学校老师的义务
You needn’t feel obligated to patronize a local school teacher.
我相信你这张票花了不少钱吧
I’m sure you’ve paid handsomely for your ticket.
等一下,让我解释… -拜托,别引起一场争吵
Wait a moment. Let me explain… -Please, don’t spoil the evening
让你的客人今晚扫兴
for your guest by causing a scene.
安妮!
Anne!
你要去哪? -我已经筋疲力尽了
Where are you going? -I’m quite exhausted.
求你了,别找借口把事情复杂化
Please, don’t complicate matters by making excuses.
艾薇拉·伊万斯是一位生意伙伴。在过去的一年里
Elvira Evans is a business associate. For the past year
我一直在清算变卖♥♥她父亲最后一笔航运地♥产♥
I have been liquidating the last of her father’s shipping estate
把她带到枫树台来,是一种友好的表示,是一次漫长交易的结束
Bringing her to Maplehurst was a gesture of hospitality, the conclusion of a lengthy transaction.
我知道,是顺利排斥我的时候了。 -根本不是那样!理智点!
I know when I am being conveniently excluded. -It isn’t that at all! Be reasonable!
为什么要排斥我? 我并没有不可告人的用心。 -你说得对,你就像微风一样善变!
Why should I? I have no ulterior motives. -You’re right. You’re as fickle minded as a breeze!
我们都在谈论你,即使是妈妈,她非常喜欢你
We all go on about you. Even mother. She absolutely adores you. Under the circumstances,
在这种情况下,今晚我要怎样才能邀请到你呢?
how could I have invited you this evening?
我当然不是欲擒故纵
I certainly wasn’t fishing for an invitation.
也许是我在岛上的良好教养,但我无意成为幻想的傻瓜
Perhaps it’s my wholesome island upbringing, but I have no intention of becoming fancy’s fool.
我想请你回枫树台。 -真的,我不知道为什么要去枫树台
I would like you to come back to Maplehurst. -Indeed, I don’t know why.
也许当艾米琳的家庭教师?那就不用麻烦你请了。 -我不能失去你,安妮·雪莉
As Emmeline’s governess, perhaps? I’ll save you the trouble of asking. -I won’t lose you, Anne Shirley.
放开我。-拜托,我想…
Let go of me. -Please, I would like…
摩根·哈里斯
Morgan Harris.
哦,我非常抱歉,但你拽住我
Oh, I’m awfully sorry, but you grabbed me.
我想向你求婚
I want to ask you to marry me.
你说什么?
What did you say?
我爱上你了。 -你真是这个意思,不是吧?
I’m in love with you. -You really mean that, don’t you?
凭我的生命发誓,我只知道我永远无法忍♥受失去你
My life on it. I only know I could never bear to lose you.
你能荣幸地把你结婚的手交给我吗?
Would you do me the honor of giving me your hand in marriage?
安妮,怎么了? -我真的很关心你和艾米琳
Anne, what is it? -I do care a great deal for you and Emmeline.
但我做不到。 -什么意思?
But I can’t. -What do you mean?
有五秒钟,我真的想也许我可以嫁给你
For five glorious seconds, I really thought perhaps I could marry you.
我曾经梦想过这样的时刻,但现在…
I used to dream of a moment like this. But now…
我无以言表,我要回家了
I can’t describe it. I need to go home.
我们可以回去过暑假,在海湾租一个又大又旧的地方
We can go back for summer holidays. Rent one of those big, old places on the gulf.
不一样的,对吗?
Not the same thing, is it?
不
No.
看看你,你连外套都没穿就出来了,你会死的
Look at you. You’re out here without even your coat on; you’ll catch your death.
真的,你应该回去,我还有华尔兹空位
Really, you should go back in. I still have a waltz free.
好吗?
Alright?
让我们给那些老太太一点八卦谈资吧
Let’s give those old ladies something to gossip about.
请进
Come in.
哎呀,麦吉尼斯先生,怎么了? -你必须赶快到枫树台来,来小姐
Why, Mr. McGuiness, what is it? -You must come quickly to Maplehurst, Miss.
大家都很担心,哈里斯夫人整个星期都保持沉默
Everyone’s worried. Mrs. Harris has kept silent all week.
沉默? 一定是出了什么大问题
Silent? Something must be dreadfully wrong.
爸爸刚走,她就被咒骂了一顿
She took a bad spell just after papa left.
现在她不吃不喝,可怜的波琳姑妈手足无措,更不知道我们该怎么办
Now she won’t eat or drink. And poor Aunt Pauline is beside herself to know what we should do.