It wouldn’t have been the right one. But it would have done for tonight.
不需要很正式的那种 只是为了今晚
Oh, David.
噢 大卫
I’m serious.
我是认真的
You’re very sweet.
你真好
What do you think?
你怎么想?
Take me home. Alright.
载我回家吧 好吧
They do need some looking after,
它们的确需要些照料
…but nothing that will require too much work.
但是都不是繁琐的活儿
Just leave them in your potting shed for a couple of weeks,
只要栽在种植棚里几周
…and they’ll look after themselves.
它们就会照顾好自己
Fine, the potting shed.
好吧 种植棚
Who does he think I am? Prince Rainier of Monaco?
他以为我是谁? 摩纳哥雷尼埃亲王?
What if I got married instead of going to college?
如果我不去上大学而是结婚 那会怎么样?
Married? Married.
结婚? 是的
Well, it would depend who it was, of course.
这个当然要取决于和谁结婚
Would it?
是吗?
That’s interesting. Of course it would.
有意思 当然是了
I wouldn’t want you married off just for the sake of it.
我可不想你是为了结婚而结
Thanks.
谢谢
Has somebody asked you? Yes.
有人和你求婚了? 是的
Who?

David?
大卫?
No. A man I just met walking his dog.
不 刚碰见的溜狗路人
What did you tell him? Nothing yet.
你怎么回答? 还没有
Do you have a choice? Or is it too late?
有选择的余地吗? 还是已经太迟了?
Of course, she’s got a choice.
她当然有的选
An interesting choice too, eh?
也是个有意思的选择 不是吗?
This is where you’re supposed to say,
这时候你应该会说
“But what about Oxford?”
“上牛津的事要怎么办?”
Well, looked at it another way,
这个 换个角度想
…you wouldn’t really need to go now, would you?
现在你也不是非去不可 不是吗?
I wouldn’t need to go.
不是非去不可
Would you like to expand on that? You’d be looked after.
你能说得明白点吗? 你会有人照顾
All that Latin! All those essays!
所有的拉丁课和作业!
What was the point?
还有什么意义?
Why didn’t you just send me prowling round nightclubs?
你为什么不直接让我去泡夜店?
It would have been less trouble. And I might have had more fun.
这样麻烦不但少了 我还可能得到更多乐趣
I don’t know about nightclubs, I know about education.
我不懂夜店 可我懂教育
Anyway, looks like it might have turned out for the best.
不管怎样 看来现在可能演变成了最佳结果
How?
怎么会?
He wouldn’t want you if you were thick, now, would he?
如果你很笨他也不会喜欢你 不是吗?
May not an ass know
马儿颠倒过来给车子拖着走
when the cart draws the horse?
就是一头蠢驴不也看得清楚吗
Sings whoop jug, I love thee.
唱道 “呼 玖格! 我爱你”
And when it says “Sings”,
上面写”唱”的时候
…it means, you sing the line.
意思是你要唱出那行
Never mind. Right. Lear?
算了 李尔?
Does any here know me?
这儿有谁认识我吗?
This is not Lear. Does Lear walk thus?
这不是李尔 是李尔在走路吗?
Speak thus?
在说话吗?
Where are his eyes?
他的眼睛呢?
Waking? Who is it that can tell me who I am?
他醒着吗? 谁能够告诉我我是什么人?
Oh, Miss, me. I can.
噢 女士 我 我能
Oh, Jenny.
噢 珍妮
What?
怎么了?
Take it off.
拿下它
Oh, my God!
噢 我的天!
Is that what I think it is?
是不是和我想的一样?
I’m going to be a bridemaid!
我要做你的伴娘了!
You know the school rule on jewelry.
你知道学校关于戴首饰的规定
Half the girls in this room are wearing jewelry.
在教室里半数的女生都戴首饰
Yes. But none of it is going to ruin their lives.
是的 但没有一个会毁了她们的生活
We have a difference of opinion about that.
那我们对此有不同的见解
How far advanced are these ridiculous plans?
你那些荒唐的计划进展到哪了?
Have you set a date? Have you decided on a church?
你设了婚期 决定在哪间教堂了吗?
We won’t be getting married in a church.
我们不会在教堂结婚
David’s Jewish.
大卫信犹太教
Jewish?
犹太教?
He’s a Jew?
他是个犹太人?
You’re aware, I take it, that the Jews killed our Lord?
你应该知道犹太人杀了我们的国王吧
And you’re aware, I suppose, that our Lord was Jewish?
那你也应该知道 我们的国王也是犹太人
I suppose he told you that.
是他告诉你的吧
We’re all very sorry about what happened at during the War.
我们对战争期间发生的事都很无奈
But that’s absolutely no excuse for that sort of…
但这绝对不能作为那种
…malicious and untruthful propaganda.
恶意的虚假宣传的借口
Anyway, I can see, you’re far more in need of responsible advice…
不管怎样 我发现你远比我想象的
…than I realised.
更需要可靠的建议
Nobody does anything worth doing without a degree.
没有学位的人做不了大事
Nobody does anything worth doing with a degree.
有学位的人也做不了大事
No woman, anyway.
反正不会是女人
So what I do isn’t worth doing? Or what Ms. Stubbs does,
那么我也是在无用功了? 斯塔布斯女士
or Mrs. Wilson, or any of us here?
威尔逊女士还有其他老师都是在浪费时间?
Because none of us would be here without our degree,
因为没有学位我们任何一个都不会在这
…you do realise that, don’t you?
你有意识到这点 对吗?
And yes, of course studying is hard, and boring…
的确 学习很困难很枯燥
Boring! I’m sorry?
是枯燥乏味! 你说什么?
Studying is hard and boring.
学习很困难很枯燥
Teaching is hard and boring.
教书很困难很枯燥
So you’re telling me to be bored, and then bored,
所以你在这是告诉我要变得无聊 然后觉得无聊
…and finally bored again, but this time for the rest of my life.
最后还是无聊 但这次事关我的一生
This whole stupid country is bored.
这整个愚蠢的国家很无聊
There’s no life in it, or colour, or fun.
没有生机 色彩或是乐趣
It’s probably just as well, the Russians are gonna drop…
也许一切还会照旧 即使俄♥罗♥斯♥人随时会
…a nuclear bomb on us any day now. So…
往我们这扔个核弹 所以…
…my choice is to do something hard and boring,
我的选择是要么一辈子做那些困难又枯燥的事
…or to marry my Jew.
要么嫁给我的犹太人
And go to Paris and Rome and listen to jazz…
然后去巴黎 罗马听爵士乐
…and read and eat good food in nice restaurants…
阅读 在宜人的餐馆吃♥精♥美的食物
…and have fun.
享受乐趣
It’s not enough to educate us any more, Ms. Walters.
单单教育已经不够了 沃尔特斯女士
You’ve got to tell us, why you’re doing it.
你要告诉我们 你为什么这么做
It doesn’t have to be teaching, you know?
不一定要献身教育 你知道吗?
There’s the Civil Service.
还可以做公务员
I don’t wish to be impertinent, Ms. Walters.
无意冒犯 沃尔特斯女士
But it is an argument worth rehearsing.
这样的争吵你以后还会碰到
You never know.
谁能料到呢
Someone else might want to know the point of it all, one day.
总有一天 会有人想知道意义何在
Where did you find him?
你在哪找的他?
I can’t tell you that.
我可不能告诉你
Why? I think he likes you.
为什么? 我想他喜欢你
Do you like her? “I thought you would like her. ”
你喜欢她吗? “我以为你会喜欢她”
You… you don’t? What?
你…你不喜欢? 什么?
You don’t remember? It’s Jenny!
你不记得了? 这是珍妮
You remember her from last time. “No, I don’t. ”
你记得上次见过她 “不 我不记得”
Yes, you do!
是的 你记得!
You naughty! You’re pardoned? That’s revolting.
淘气鬼! 你知道错了? 你这是造♥反♥
Stick to your own species.
去和你自己的同类待着
He wants to kiss you, I think.
他想吻你 我觉得
Isn’t that naughty?
很淘气不是吗?
We are engaged.
我们订婚了
No!
不会吧!
Really? Yeah.
真的? 是的
Engaged? Show her.
订婚? 给她看看
Yes, look!
没错 看!
Gosh! That’s fantastic news.
天啊!真是个好消息
Thank you.
谢谢
Congratulations.
恭喜你
I knew you’d see sense about university.
我知道你会明白上大学没什么用
You’ll stay pretty now.
现在你能永葆青春了
Can I still read?
我还能阅读吗?

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!