…he knew how to get to classical music concerts.
他知道怎么去古典音乐会
But he wasn’t who he said he was.
可是他人不如实
He wasn’t who you said he was, either.
也不像你说的那样
The other day, your mother and I were listening to a…
有一天 你妈妈和我在听广播
…a program on the radio about C.S. Lewis and they said…
关于一个C.S.刘易斯的节目 里面说
…that he moved to Cambridge in 1954.
他在1954年去了剑桥
I… I said… well, they’ve got that wrong.
我…我说…他们也许弄错了
Our Jenny wouldn’t have his name in her book…
如果他搬去了剑桥 我们珍妮就
…if he’d moved to Cambridge.
不会有她的签名书
There’s a cup of tea and some biscuits out here.
门外有杯茶还有些饼干
How do you think we can help?
你觉得我们能怎么帮你?
I want to repeat my last year at school.
我想重读最后一年
And take my exams.
接受考试
I got the impression the last time we spoke…
上次我们的谈话中 我得到的印象是
…that you didn’t see the point of school.
你觉得上学是没有意义的
Or of me, or of any of us here.
还有我和其他人在这也是无意义的
I know. I was stupid.
我知道 我很愚昧
The life I want… there’s no shortcut.
我想要的生活 没有捷径
I know now that I need to go to university.
我现在知道我需要上大学
It gives me absolutely no pleasure whatsoever to see…
看见我们的年轻女学生自毁前程
…our young schoolgirls throwing their lives away.
让我十分痛心
Although, of course, you’re not one of our schoolgirls any more.
虽然 经过你自愿的选择
Through your own volition.
你已经不再是我们学生
I suppose you think I’m a ruined woman.
也许你会认为我是一个堕落的女人
You’re not a woman.
你还算不上是一个女人
No, I’m afraid, I think that the offer of a place at this school…
恐怕不行 我想这个学校的入学邀请
…would be wasted on you.
给你会是种浪费
Come in.
进来
I didn’t expect to see you again.
我没期望会再见到你
This is lovely.
这里很温馨
All your books and pictures and…
所有你的书还有画
Paperbacks and postcards, Jenny.
平装本和明信片 珍妮
That’s all you need, isn’t it?
你想要的只是这些 不是么?
Just somewhere to…
只是需要一个地方可以…
I’m sorry I said those silly things.
我很抱歉说了那些蠢话
I didn’t understand them.
我没放在心上
Let’s forget about it.
让我们都忘了吧
A Burne-Jones.
这是伯恩·琼斯的画
Do you like him? I do.
你喜欢他吗? 喜欢
Still.
一直很喜欢
Still?
一直?
You sound very old and wise.
你给我老而精明的感觉
I feel old.
我是老了
But not very wise.
却不怎么精明
Ms. Stubbs, I need your help.
斯塔布斯女士 我需要你的帮助
I was so hoping that’s what you were gonna say.
这句话我等了很久了
Thank you, Marjorie.
谢谢 玛乔丽
It’s from Oxford.
牛津寄来的
It is my pleasure, to inform you that…
我很荣幸地通知你
…your application to read English at Oxford has been accepted.
我们已接受你在牛津学习英语的申请
On behalf of the Faculty of Arts, staff of the University…
我代表大学全体教职工和文学院…
So I went to read English books.
这样 我去了牛津阅读英语书籍
And did my best to avoid the speccy-spotty fate
尽力避免海伦预言的
that Helen had predicted for me.
成为青春痘四眼妹的命运
I probably look as wide-eyed, fresh and artless…
我也许看上去和别的学生
…as any other student.
一样天真烂漫
But I wasn’t.
可我不是
One of the boys I went out with, and they really were boys,
和我约会的一个男孩 人如其名
…once asked me to go to Paris with him.
有次邀我同游巴黎
And I told him, I’d love to.
我告诉他 我很乐意
I was dying to see Paris.
我迫不及待地想看看巴黎
As if I’d never been!
亦如未曾去过!

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!