Bobby!
我在哪里?
Where am I?
夏默士先生
Mr. Summers!
我迷路了
Lost.
我怎么会这么蠢
How could you be so stupid?
夏默士先生
Mr. Summers.
嗯?
Um-hm?
我有事要告诉你
I’ve got something to tell you.
这事是不是和…
Would this “something” have anything to do
前几天你在 海滩迷路有关
with the day you got lost on the beach?
是的 和那有关
Yes, it would.
但不止有那样
But it’s not just that.
这是我全部的故事
It’s my whole story.
我得告诉你我全部的故事 你才能够明白
You wouldn’t understand unless I tell you my whole story.
那个男人…
That man was..
怀特塞特先生
Mr. Whiteside
这是他的姓
is his name.
那花了好长的时间
Bobby: It took ages.
当我告诉他 所发生的一切时
We sat and smoked one cigarette after another
我们坐者 而且他抽了好多烟
while I told him what had happened
我告诉他在海滩的 怀特塞特先生
on the beach with Mr. Whiteside.
我告诉他一切
I told him all that
我从头开始诉说
and went right back to the beginning
告诉他 关于我母亲的事
and told him about my mother,
商场的事 胖子的事
and the store, and The Fat.
我告诉他 关于老鼠彼得的事
I told him about Peter, the mouse
告诉他 胖子杀了它
and about how The Fat had killed him.
告诉他 那有多令我害怕
And how frightened I was.
然后我告诉他 当我很小时…
Then I told him about getting knocked down
我在街上被车撞了
by a car in the high street when I was little,
而且之后 一直没恢复
and not being well ever since.
我告诉他 看护和家庭教师的事
I told him about the nurses and the tutors
还有我从没上过学
and never having to go to school.
我告诉他 关于迪恩的事
I told him about Dean
还有逃往 康沃尔的事
and running away to Cornwall.
然后我问他 我是不是得离开这儿
Then I asked him if I had to go away.
不 巴比
No, Bobby.
你不用离开
You don’t have to go away.
我可以继续工作吗?
Can I keep on with the work?
是的
Yes.
我可以和你住在一起吗?
Can I live here with you?
是的 你可以
Yes, you can.
夏默士先生…
Mr. Summers…
什么事?
Yeah?
我爱你
I love you.
但我很担心–
But I’m worried about–
担心–
about–
怀特塞特先生会…
Mr. Whiteside might…
告诉胖子 我在这附近
tell The Fat that I’m in this part of the country.
他可能会来找我
He might try to look for me.
我说了你可以留下
I’ve already told you that you can stay.
我更在意的是 这一切事对你的影响
I’m more bothered about the effect all this has had on you.
我要出去散个步
I’m going out for a walk.
我需要些时间 想想你说的事
I need time to think about everything you just said.
这段时间 你可以看些书什么的
You do your book or something.
我一会儿就回来
I’ll be back in a while.
告诉我 巴比
Mr. Summers: Tell me, Bobby,
你可曾想过…
have you ever wondered
为何我这样生活 又做这工作?
why I live like I live and do what I do?
因为你爱动物
Because you love the animals.
没错 因为我爱动物
Yes, because I love the animals.
因为我相信 他们同是生命
And because I believe that they are life.
是和我们有同样价值的生命
Life equal to ourselves,
而不是次等的–
and not in some lesser–
较无价值的生命形式
less valuable form.
我也有个故事
I also have a story.
我要你用心听我说
I want you to listen carefully.
从前有个年轻人
First of all, there was a young Man.
他一毕业就 进入银行工作
He went straight from school to work in a bank.
他工作非常努力 成了银行的经理
He worked very hard and became manager of the bank.
但这过程 花了很长的时间
But this took a long, long, long time,
而且 因为他太努力工作
and because he had been working so hard,
他从没时间想到 要花时间和人们相处
he hadn’t really had time to think about meeting people,
或交个女朋友
having a girlfriend.
但他仍然遇到了 一个女孩
He did eventually meet a girl, though.
她比他年轻许多 而且非常美丽
She was much younger than him and very beautiful.
他和她坠入爱河
He fell in love with her.
谁能责怪他呢 这太美好了
Who could blame him? It was wonderful.
在这么多年 只有工作的生活后
After all these years of nothing but work,
能遇到一个 美丽的女人
to meet a beautiful woman
而且她看来 如此的崇拜他
who seemed to admire him so much…
这就像是个奖赏
Like a reward.
他在城镇边上 买♥♥了个可爱的房♥子
Then the man bought a lovely house on the edge of the town.
一个大房♥子 有个大花♥园♥
A big house. A huge garden.
他们结婚 然后搬进大屋
They married and they moved in.
但婚后不久…
Not long after this…
细节并不重要
well, the details are unimportant.
他了解到
He came to understand
他所娶的女人…
that the woman he had married
是错误的选择
was false.
她是个骗子
Deceiver.
夏默士先生?
Mr. Summers?
是的 也大约在此时
Yes, it was around this time
他深深爱上他对 动物的新看法
that he became obsessed with his new ideas about animals
而他却笨到和认识的人 讲论这些看法
and he was foolish enough to start talking about them to people he knew.
他的妻子开始 为花♥园♥的事烦扰他
His wife started to bother him about the garden.
即使她明明知道…
She made him do work even though she knew
他讨厌毁坏 野生的植物
that he hated tearing out the wild plants
也讨厌用买♥♥的植物 来替换野生的
and replacing them with bought ones.
但她仍要求他杀死 野生植物好保护新买♥♥的
She made him kill to protect these new plants.
男人的生活越来越糟
Life got worse and worse for the man.
他一直觉得不舒服 开始在工作上犯下很糟的错误
He felt ill all the time, started making bad mistakes at work.
生活就像是…
Life felt like…
一个漫长、黑暗…
one long, dark,
阴湿的午后
wet afternoon.
他只想求死
He just wanted to die.
但我不能这么做 巴比
But I couldn’t do it, Bobby.
我不能杀死自己 因为我知道若我这么做…
I couldn’t kill myself because I knew if I did,
那就像是 让她杀了我
then it would be her killing me.
而我的死亡
And me dead
是她最想要的事
is what deep down she really wanted.
我不能让她称心如意
I couldn’t give her the satisfaction.
所以…
So…
我杀了她
I killed her.
我用枕头…
I suffocated her
闷死了她
with a pillow.
但你不杀生
But you don’t kill.
我那时做了
I did that time,
就那一次
that one time,
因为我必须那么做
because it had to be done.
那警♥察♥呢?
What about the police?
他们知道这事吗?
Do they know about it?
我不知道
I don’t know.
但我确定他们 找不到尸体
They didn’t find a body, that’s for sure.
我烧了它
I burnt it.
然后 我从银行 拿走了许多钱
And I took a great deal of money from the bank.
我逃走了 就像你 巴比
I ran away. Just like you, Bobby.
那是我这辈子 最刺♥激♥的一天
It was the most exciting day of my life.
之后有段时间 我在国内…
Then I wandered around for a time,
四处漫游
all over the country.
最后 我来到这儿