I understand that!
我明白
Give him a pen and some paper, Sadie.
萨迪 给他一张悔过书
See who that is, Duffy.
看谁来了 达菲
Oh, hello, Judge. Sit down.
你好 法官 请坐
I’ll be with you in just a couple of seconds, huh?
容我先处理一下事情
Now, write what I tell you to write.
照我所说的写
“Dear Governor Stark,
亲爱的史塔克州长
“I wish to resign as auditor due to ill health,
我希望辞去查帐员的身分 由于我健康不佳的关系
“to take effect as soon as you can relieve me.
请及早接受这项事实
Respectfully yours.”
敬上
Did you sign it? No.
你签名了吗? 没有
Well, sign it!
那签上
Don’t put any date on it. I can fill that in when I need it.
别写日期 我随时想到再填
Now bring it to me.
拿给我看
Here.
这儿
Now get out.
现在离开这里
The papers have the story. Yeah, I know.
纸张之外大有文章 是的 我知道
They’re talking about impeachment proceedings.
他们正在讨论弹劾的程序
Against who? This time, Pillsbury.
对谁? 这次是针对皮尔斯伯里
I got that “this time,” Judge. How true is it?
法官 这次我会处理 是真的不是吗?
It’s too true.
太真了
Yes? This is it, Willie.
是的 威利 是找你的
Jeff Hopkins on the wire.
杰夫在路上打来的
What have we got on Hopkins, Jack?
我们这次要叫杰夫做什么?
Hello, Jeff. About that Pillsbury business…
你好 杰夫 关于皮尔斯伯里的这次事件…
Here’s what I want you to do when it comes up in the legislature.
以下是我希望你透过立法做的事
Now, wait a minute. Wait a minute. You listen to me.
等会 等会 听我说
You’ve got a mortgage comin’ due on
你有个工程
that place of yours in about five weeks, haven’t you?
五周之内要完成 对吧?
You’d like to get it renewed, wouldn’t you?
你希望它能盖得漂亮不是吗?
All right. Tiny’ll talk to you in the morning.
好的 泰尼早上会再跟你谈
Get going.
继续
You haven’t answered my question.
你还没回答我的问题
Why are you saving Pillsbury’s hide?
为何你要帮皮尔斯伯里掩盖这件事?
I’m not a bit interested in Pillsbury’s hide.
我对掩盖事实一点兴趣也没有
It’s much more important than that.
还有更重要的原因
If the McMurphy boys can get away with this,
如果要深入去查这件事
there’s no tellin’ where they’ll stop.
会没完没了的
Or where you will. Pillsbury is guilty.
那是你的方式 皮尔斯伯里是有罪的
As attorney general of this state,
身为首席检察官
it’s my job to prosecute.
起诉有罪的人是我的责任
Judge, you talk like Pillsbury was human.
法官 你的语气把皮尔斯伯里当人看
He isn’t. He’s a thing.
他根本算不上什么东西
You don’t prosecute an adding machine
对于一个原本就可能犯错的机器
if a spring goes bust and makes a mistake.
你如何能起诉?
You fix it. Well, I fixed him.
只需要修理 我修理他了
I’m not a bit interested in Pillsbury.
我对皮尔斯伯里一点兴趣也没有
It’s something much bigger than that.
还有更重要的事情
Yes, it is.
是的 没错
He’s right, Judge. Can’t you see that he’s right?
他是对的 法官 你看不出来?
He’s right because you want him to be right.
他是对的是你的想法
You’re afraid to admit you made a mistake.
因为你害怕面对你犯了错的事实
Do it now before it’s too late.
亡羊补牢 其时未晚
I’m offering my resignation as attorney general.
我要辞去我的首席检查官
You’ll have it in writing by messenger in the morning, dated.
明早你会收到邮差送来的辞职书
Took you a long time to make up your mind, Judge…
法官 你很久才下了这个决定…
a long time.
一段很长的时间
What made you take such a long time?
什么原因使你花了这么长的时间?
I wasn’t sure.
我不确定
Now you are…
现在你是个…
I’ll tell you what you are… you’re scared.
我来告诉你你是什么… 你胆小害怕了
You sat in that easy chair of yours for 30 years
你坐在安适的椅子上三十多年了
and played at being a judge.
扮演你的法官角色
Then I put a bat in your hand and said,
突然之间我出现 交付给你工作 我说
“Go ahead, Judge, start swingin’,” and you did,
放手做 法官 尽管干有你自己的新作为
and you had a wonderful time,
你度过了一段美好的时光
but now you’re scared.
但现在你却胆小害怕了
You don’t want to get your hands dirty.
你不想让双手不干净
You want to pick up the marbles,
你想要享受一切好处
but you don’t want to get your hands dirty.
但你却不想让双手不干净
Look at my whole program, Judge.
你想想我的整个计划
How do you think I put that across?
你认为要如何来达成?
I knew how, but I never knew why.
我知道如何 但不知为何?
You’re not by any chance
你不可能
thinkin’ of goin’ over to McMurphy’s boys, are you?
去调查墨菲议员的事
I’m through with politics.
我对政♥治♥早已厌倦了
I’m happy to hear that. No hard feelings.
我很高兴听到这点 好聚好散
Good-bye, Governor. You coming with me, Jack?
再见 州长 杰克 你跟我走吗?
You’re making a mistake.
他犯错了
You think he means it
萨迪 你…
when he says he’s through with politics, Sadie?
也对政♥治♥厌倦了吗?
No. No, I don’t.
没有 我没有
What about you, Jack?
杰克 你呢?
I’ve known the judge all my life.
我和法官是一辈子的朋友
He’s always meant everything he said.
他始终有话直说
All right, all right. Take it easy.
好了 好了 别那么激动
I’ll take your word for it.
我会认真考虑你的话
Sugar, take Miss Stanton home.
司机 待会儿送她回去
When am I gonna see you again?
我们何时再见面?
What’s the matter, Anne?
安 怎么回事?
Please take me home now, Sugar Boy.
请现在立刻送我回去
You’ve got to understand me. I understand you.
你应该要了解我 我了解你
It’s myself I don’t understand.
我不了解的是我自己
Do you think I like sneakin’ around corners any more than you do?
你以为我比你喜欢在街角等待吗?
But right now with the Pillsbury business
现在 有了皮尔斯伯里的麻烦
and with your uncle quitting,
你打算停下来
if I get a divorce…
如果我现在离婚…
Maybe we’d better stop seeing each other.
或许我们该开始停止见面
No.

No, we won’t stop seeing each other, will we?
我们不会就此停止见面了 会吗?
No. Because you believe what I tell you.
不会 因为你相信我对你说的话
Because I believe what you tell me.
因为我相信你对我说的话
Good evening, Governor Stark.
史塔克州长 晚安
I thought you might like to know that
我想你会想知道
Judge Stanton kept his promise.
斯坦顿法官没遵守诺言
He gave the story to every paper in town.
他把整件事的经过告诉每家报社
Sugar, meet me at the hotel as soon as you can.
矮个儿 尽快在旅馆跟我会面
These are serious charges…
这是非常严重的案件…
that Judge Stanton has given to the press.
斯坦顿对新闻界发布的内♥幕♥
This legislature is entitled to a complete
议会有绝对权利
and full report on the Pillsbury affair.
来报导这次皮尔斯伯里的事件
Let the truth be known! Let it come out!
让我们找出真♥相♥
I vote we adjourn. I second the motion.
我支持法官 我附议
All those in favor, say “Aye. “Aye!
赞成的请大声说 全体 全体
Motion carried.
动议成立
Quiet! House is adjourned.
肃静 休会
You let Willie Stark get away with the Pillsbury graft,
你们让威利州长压下皮尔斯伯里失职案
there’s no telling…
那么你们就…
But we beat the Pillsbury rap.
我们将皮尔斯伯里的支持者痛打一顿
It’s over.
一切已经结束了
These things are never over.
这些事情永远不会结束
Tell you what I want you to do, Jack.
我告诉你我希望你做什么?
I want you to start a new page in that black book of yours…
我希望你在你黑名单上加上一页…
under the name of Judge Stanton, huh?
记上斯坦顿法官
You’re crazy. There’s nothing on the judge. Why?
你疯了 法官根本没怎样 为什么?
Because his name is Stanton? Shh, shh, shh. Easy.
就因为他姓斯坦顿吗? 嘘嘘嘘 别激动
What if I won’t do it?
如果我不这样做呢?
You know, some of this has rubbed off on you.
你可知你会遇到些麻烦
What are you gonna do? Have me shot?
我会怎样? 被枪杀吗?
No, but I’ll have to get myself a new boy.
不 我必须另外再找个身边的人

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!