Willie’s got a lot to say.
威利有很多话可以谈
You sleepy, Pappy? You want to have a nap?
爸爸 你会不会想睡 要不要小睡片刻?
No, I want to hear it.
不 我想听听
I’m worried about Tom. It’s getting dark. He should have been home.
汤米怎么了 天色晚了 也该回来了
He’s a strong boy.
他是个坚强的孩子
Don’t worry about him. He can take care of himself.
别担心 他会照顾自己的
How old is the boy? Fifteen.
那孩子多大? 十五岁
How long have you been married?
那你们结婚多久了?
Nine years.
九年
He was a neighbor’s boy.
他是隔壁的小孩
They were poor folks, both died.
他们是可怜人家 都死了
I couldn’t have any children, so… He’s a good boy.
我不能生 因此… 他是好孩子
Oh, he’s the best.
他是最好的
I couldn’t love him any more if he was my own flesh and blood.
我已经把他当成我亲生的
And now you, Mrs. Stark.
那你呢? 史塔克太太
There isn’t very much to tell about me.
我没什么好说的
How did you meet?
你们怎么相识的?
I was teaching school, and one day a pupil walked in.
我在学校教书 有天一位学生走过来
It was Willie.
就是威利
I couldn’t have a grown man in the class,
我的班上不该有成人的
and Willie wanted to learn so badly, so I married him.
但他是如此好学 因此我嫁给他了
Is that the only reason? Except that I loved him.
这是唯一的理由吗? 还有就是 我爱他
Get the coffee, Lucy.
去弄点饮料
When did they fire you, Mrs. Stark?
他们何时开除你的 史塔克太太?
A couple of weeks ago.
几个礼拜前
I’d been teaching a long time,
我已经教很久了
and nobody ever said I wasn’t all right.
没有人说我教得不好
But I don’t care. I don’t want to teach in a schoolhouse…
我不在乎 我不想在一所…
that they built just so somebody can steal some money.
可以吃钱的学校
Willie doesn’t want to be treasurer, either,
威利其实也不想在财政部工作
if he has to associate with those dishonest people.
跟那些不诚实的人发生关连
I’m gonna run. They can’t keep me from runnin’.
我要竞选 他们没法阻止我竞选
If you don’t mind the truth, Mr. Stark,
威利先生 如果你不介意
you haven’t much of a chance.
我想说你的机会并不大
I’m gonna run. They’re not gonna kick me around like I was dirt.
不论结果如何 我都要竞选
I don’t care if Willie loses,
我不在乎你失败
just so he gets the truth to the people.
只要把事实说出来让人们知道
Isn’t that true, Willie? Isn’t it, Willie?
威利 你说对不对? 威利 对不对?
Hmm? Yeah, yeah, sure. That’s right.
当然 一点也没错
Well, if you lose,
如果你失败了
you can give a little more time to studying your law books.
也可以好好研读法律的书
Are you studying law too? By myself at night.
你在学法律吗? 我自修的
Willie’s a smart boy.
威利是我的好儿子
If I ever find the time, I’m gonna take a course at the university.
如果我有时间 我会到大学听课
What happened, Tommy boy? What’s the matter?
发生什么事了 汤米? 怎么回事
I gave out the handbills, Pa. Speak up. Speak up!
我并没有把传♥单♥发出去 说出来 说出来
Let him tell it in his own way.
谁干的让他自己说
Go on, Tommy.
说呀 汤米
This time they were waitin’ for me.
这次他们等着我
They threw ’em in the dirt and beat me up.
他们把我带走 把我打了一顿
I brought some of ’em back.
我讨了一些回来
Good boy. Have you eaten yet, Tom?
好孩子 你还没吃饭吧?
Let him wash up first. Why don’t you lie down, Pappy?
让他先去洗一洗 爸 你也去睡觉了
I’m gonna run. You’re not gonna stop me.
我要出马 你们无法阻止我
I’m gonna run even if I don’t get a single vote.
即使一票也没有 我还是要竞选
Here you are… the last of the Willie Stark articles.
好了… 关于威利·史塔克的文章
Now can I go? Yes, you’ve earned your vacation.
我可以走了吗? 好 你去度假吧
You’ve been writing these like you really mean them.
你写这些似乎出于真心的
I do.
是的
I hadn’t been home in a long time.
我很久很久没回家了
Home was Burden’s Landing,
家庭是解脱负担的地方
only 130 miles from Kanoma City.
距离卡诺马郡只有一百三十里
It was separated from the mainland by a body of water.
两地仅一水之隔
For the first time, I wondered if
这是第一次我发现
it wasn’t separated by more than that.
分隔的还不只是一条河
Hello, Mother.
母亲
Floyd, Jack’s home.
杰克回来了
Oh, he looks fine. Doesn’t he look fine? How do I look, Jackie boy?
你看来好极了 你看我呢?
You look beautiful, Mother.
你看来漂亮极了 母亲
I’ve got so many things planned for you…
我有好多话跟你说…
parties, and…it’ll be just like old times…
政♥治♥上的… 就像以前…
but first let’s have a drink.
先喝一杯再说吧
Can’t that wait till this evening?
你会待到今晚吧?
Floyd, honey, my son’s home.
老头 儿子才刚回来
How long you plan on staying?
你打算待多久?
Two or three weeks, if that’s all right with you.
两三周吧 如果可以的话
I’m sure your father would be… Stepfather, Mother.
你父亲会高兴的… 是继父
Now, Jackie. Here we all are. Floyd, Jackie, myself.
杰克 好了 老头 杰克 我自己
To the best time we’ve ever had together. Yes, Mother.
这是我们曾在一起的快乐时光 是的 母亲
Excuse me, I…
我先失陪…
Dr. Stanton, I presume. Is my shingle showing?
我想你是斯坦顿医生 这是我个人表现
Good to see you, boy, very good. Good to see you, Judge.
幸会 幸会 法官大人
How’ve you been? What have you been doing?
你来这里做些什么?
Oh, just sitting here,
来这里
waiting for all of you to come home.
等你们回来呀
You know, when a man starts to get old,
当一个人逐渐变老
his eyes stray and play funny tricks on him.
总要找些娱乐
As I watched you in that boat,
像是坐船游湖
I thought sure I saw a boy of 12 with a fishing rod in his hands,
手上拿根钓竿
and I was sure the first thing he’d say would be…
我相信她第一句话一定是…
Do you mind if I kiss your niece, sir?
你不介意我亲她吧?
To all the good times we’ve had together at Burden’s Landing,
这杯庆祝 我们在此地的所有欢乐
and especially this one, because my son’s home.
特别是由于我儿子回来了
Thank you, Mother. Thank you very much.
谢谢你 母亲 非常谢谢你
Monty, Anne and I have been discussing Jack’s career.
很巧 我们最近正讨论你的前途
What do you think of going for shall he be a lawyer? Doctor?
他应该做律师吗? 医生?
We were just discussing… I like what I’m doing, Mother.
我们只是讨论… 我喜欢我现在所做的工作
You do very well at it.
你做的很好
I read your articles about this fellow… Willie Stark.
我读过你写的关于威利·史塔克的文章
Very convincing. Too convincing for my tastes.
很有说服力 对我这种品味太有说服力了
A lot of people like them.
很多人喜欢
A lot of people are fools.
很多人是傻子
Articles like that shouldn’t be permitted.
不应该准许那样的文章出版
They only tend to incite people.
你是想激怒人们
What are you afraid of?
你怕什么?
I thought they were very good. I was proud of you, Jack.
我认为这样非常好 我以你为荣 杰克
I was particularly interested in Stark’s ideas
我特别对于史塔克那些
on health and medicine.
健康和药品之类的文章感兴趣
You know the conditions
你知道
at the hospital I work in. They’re intolerable.
我工作环境坏透了
I’d like to meet this Willie Stark.
我想见见威利·史塔克
He sounds like an honest man.
他似乎是个诚实的人
“Honest man”?
诚实?
This state is full of these log-cabin
他要是真的诚实的话
Abe Lincolns with price tags on them.
恐怕林肯的塑像都得换人
The louder he yells, the higher his price.
他叫的越大声 得到赞美愈高
You think you can buy anything, don’t you?
你以为你能用钱买♥♥一切 是不是?
Yes. Don’t you?
是的 难道不是?
What do you think, Judge?
法官 你的看法如何呢?
I think this state could stand a few changes.
我相信本州可以禁得起改变
Well, I’ll tell you what I think. Oh, please.
让我告诉你我怎么想 好了
LetLet’s not talk politics. Anne is right.
我们别谈政♥治♥了 安是对的
I-I absolutely forbid any more of it.
我绝对禁止再谈政♥治♥
I know what we need. We need another toast.
我们所需要的是 大家好好喝一杯
You propose it, Monty. You’re so good at it.
你先举杯来敬酒吧
To the young people… to Anne, to Jack, to Adam…
敬年轻人… 这杯祝福安 杰克和亚当…
to what lies before them,
祝他们的美好前程
to the world they’ll make in spite of mistakes we’ve made.
祝他们改正因为我们犯错而造成的这个世界
The mistakes you’ve made, not me.
是你犯错 可不是我
You’re all still pretty high and mighty, aren’t you?
你们都以为你们万能 是吗?