I can pay maybe ten.
我也许能拿出1万
There’re not a…
没几个
lot of white lawyers would’ve took my brother’s case.
白人律师会接我兄弟的案子
You did and got him off.
你接下而且打赢了
I figure there’s people out there…
我想有很多人
tired of all the raping and killing and…
已经厌恶了这些强♥奸♥杀人的事
they’d be sympathetic to a man who took the law into his own hands…
他们会同情一个自己亲手执法的人
even if he is black.
哪怕他是黑人
You said you’d help me out if I was in a jam.
你说过如果我陷入困境你会救我
Well, I’m in one now.
我现在就身处困境
What do you say?
你怎么说
What can you tell us, sheriff?
能透点消息吗 治安官
Comment?
有何看法
Are you with the police?
你是警方的人吗
I’m a lawyer.
不 我是律师
Are you Hailey’s attorney?
你是海利的律师
Are you Mr. Hailey’s attorney?
你是海利先生的律师
Yes, I am.
是的
What’s your name? Sir.
尊姓大名
Brigance. Jake Brigance. That’s with one ‘G.’
伯根斯 杰克·伯根斯 再加一个”好”字
Hailey’s hired an attorney.
海利请了个律师
Jake Brigance.
杰克·伯根斯
And today ain’t even my birthday.
今天又不是我生日
Brigance couldn’t tie his own tie without Wilbanks.
伯根斯没威邦斯帮忙什么都干不了
He’s never lost a murder case.
他从没输过谋杀官司
Well, he’s never tried one against me.
可也从没做过我的对手
What time’s the preliminary?
听证会是几点
Tomorrow at 3. Judge Omar Noose presiding.
明天三点 由欧玛·纽斯法官主审
I was wrong. It is my birthday.
我错了 今天是我生日
All right. First, Brigance will file for a change of venue.
伯根斯会先申请更改审判地点
He’d be a fool not to.
不然他就是傻子
Why’s that?
为什么
Why?
为什么
Should we tell our young, uninformed law clerk…
我们该告诉这位年轻的助理律师
the reality of jurisprudence?
真正的法律吗
Evelyn, get me the state file on race statistics!
艾芙琳 把本州的人口统计文件拿来
See, it’s quite simple.
看 这很简单
This county’s 26- 30% black, give or take.
本郡有大约26-30%的人口为黑人
Almost every other county is 40- 45, in some cases 70% black.
其他郡县至少为40-45% 个别的甚至占70%
Blacks are more sympathetic to blacks.
黑人更同情黑人
If he gets it moved,
更改地点的话
he has a greater chance of color in the jury box.
黑人加入陪审团的机会较大
But if the trial stays here, it’s an all white jury for sure.
在本地的话 陪审团肯定全是白人
This is for you…
这个给你
to integrate your brain with before tomorrow afternoon. Yes.
明天下午之前把它们记牢 好的
He means without blacks on the jury, Hailey hasn’t got a chance.
没有黑人陪审员 海利半点机会都没有
Noose is up for re-elect?
纽斯在考虑连任吧
Yeah, November.
对 11月
Reach out to our legislature friends.
联♥系♥州议会的朋友
Have them call Noose. We’ll help him decide to keep the trial here.
要他们设法说服纽斯别更改审判地点
Also, send a case of whatever he drinks to Lucien Wilbanks.
另外 随便送箱什么酒给卢瑟·威邦斯
Dewars.
“杜瓦斯”威士忌
Keep that old drunk on the sidelines.
让老酒鬼置身事外
Get me Sam.
给我接山姆
And, gentlemen…
两位
no mistakes.
别出差错
This is what we’ve waited for.
这是我们的机会
Justifiable homicide’ll never hold up.
决不能强调是正当杀人
My only chance is to find a shrink…
唯一的机会是找心理医生
to say Carl Lee was insane at the time.
证明卡尔·李当时是精神失常
Now I might know a man who owes me a favor.
也许我认识一个欠我人情的家伙
You file for a change of venue?
申请更改审判地没有
Of course.
当然有
If Judge Noose denies it…
如果纽斯法官驳回申请
then you’ll get an all white jury and you’ll lose.
陪审团就会全是白人 你必输无疑
Thanks.
谢谢
Bear in mind that Mr. Hailey is guilty as sin…
要记住依我们的司法系统而言
under our legal system.
海利是有罪的
It does not permit vigilante violence…
滥用私刑是不被允许的
and he took the law into his own hands.
而他恰好就是私自执法
He murdered two people.
他杀了两个人
Two people who raped his 10-year-old daughter.
两个强♥奸♥了他10岁女儿的人
You know…
知道吗
you can win this case…
你能打赢这场官司
and justice will prevail.
正义就能得到伸张
But lose…
如果输了
and justice will also prevail. Now that’s a strange case.
正义同样得到伸张 这真是个古怪的案子
I could use your help.
你可以帮我
The sons-of-bitches decertified me, Jake.
那些狗♥娘♥养♥的收回了我的执照
I swore I will never enter another courtroom. Ever!
我发过誓决不再上法庭 永远
You’re the best lawyer I’ve ever seen.
你是我见过的最好的律师
I know how much it hurt when they took your license away.
我知道执照被拿走时你有多痛苦
But they can’t take your mind unless you let them.
但你不会让他们拿走智慧
Good speech.
说得好
I had a good teacher.
我有个好老师
Remember when I came to you?
记得我来找你的时候吗
In that ridiculous blue suit.
穿着件可笑的蓝西装
You sat me down and said to me…
你要我坐下 然后说
“I cannot promise you riches.
我不能保证你发财
What I can offer you…
我能给你的
is a chance to save the world…
是一个案子一次
one case at a time.”
拯救世界的机会
I’m saying the same words back to you right now.
现在我要将这句话还给你
How about it, Lucien?
怎么样 卢瑟
“The Lord is my shepherd. I shall not want.
主是我的牧羊人 我别无所求
He maketh me to lie down in green pastures.
他让我躺在绿色的草原上
He leadeth me beside still waters.
引领我到平静的水边
Yea, though I walk…
是的 尽管我步行
through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil…
穿越死神黑暗的山谷 但我不会害怕邪恶
for Thou art with me.
因为有你与我同在
Thy rod and Thy staff comfort me. ”
你的权杖安抚着我
Sure am sorry about your brother.
我为你兄弟难过
Old Willard, too.
还有老威拉德
Good boys both.
他们都是好人
10 years ago…
要是十年前
that nigger’d be hanging by the end of a rope.
那个黑鬼肯定会被吊死
Tell me what’s wrong with this country.
这个国家到底怎么了
Klan would know what to do.
三K党会知道怎么做
My granddaddy, he was Klan.
我祖父加入过三K党
Ain’t no Klan here for years.
现在没有三K党了
There’s still some boys around.
附近还有一些
Skinheads who want to blow up the government?
那些想推♥翻♥政♥府♥的光头党吗
No, sir. Good God-fearing Klan.
不 老兄 是真正的三K党
I got a friend, used to be active. I could call him.
我有个朋友曾经很活跃 我可以联络他
You do that.
那就干吧
You tell them boys we need some Klan here in Canton.
告诉他们这里需要三K党
I mean, right quick.
越快越好
Hurry up, honey.
亲爱的 快点
Coming, coming.
来了 来了
Look, there’s Ozzie.
是奥齐
To our family’s TV debut.
庆贺家庭电视首映
To the big time.
这是个重要时刻
I can’t believe he didn’t take you seriously about Carl Lee.
他竟然以为你不是真想为卡尔·李打官司
Baby, some folks think those boys got what they deserved.
宝贝 有人觉得那两个家伙是罪有应得
Here.
来
Carl Lee Hailey may spend life in prison.
卡尔·李·海利也许要坐牢
But his family doesn’t deserve that.
可他的家人是无辜的
You did call Ozzie? Look here.
给奥齐打电♥话♥没有 看
Daddy’s on TV.
爸爸上电视了
I’ll show the men and women of the South…
我会证明南方的民众能