夏绿蒂,请留下
Charlotte, please stay.
爱默森先生,当我还住这儿时,请离得远远的
Mr. Emerson, leave this house and don’t come back as long as I’m here.
– 我做不到 – 没有商量的余地
– I can’t. – No discussion.
请走!我不想叫凡斯先生来
Go, please. I don’t want to call in Mr. Vyse.
你要嫁给那人?
You mean to marry that man?
– 你不要无礼取闹 – 如果西索不是那种人,我会回心转意的
– You’re being ridiculous. – I’d have held back if Cecil was different.
但他那种人无法和女人建立亲密关系
But he’s the sort who can’t know anyone intimately, least of all a woman.
他不了解什么是女人
He doesn’t know what a woman is.
他要你只为了满足占有欲,就好像是拥有一幅画或珠宝盒
He wants you for a possession, to look at like a painting or an ivory box.
把你当成展示的东西
Something to own and to display.
他不要真实的你,不让你有思想和生命,他根本不爱你
He doesn’t want you to be real, to think and to live. He doesn’t love you.
但是我爱你,我要的是真正的你,有思想感觉的你
But I love you. I want you to have your own thoughts and ideas,
甚至当我拥你入怀时
even when I hold you in my arms.
巴特利小姐,如果你明白,请别再阻止我们
Miss Bartlett, you wouldn’t stop us, not if you understood.
这是我们最后的机会了
It’s our last chance.
你可知我们有多幸运,能发现真正中意的人?
Do you understand how lucky people are to find what’s right for them?
这是件可贺可喜之事啊!
It’s such a blessing, don’t you see?
但事实上,我爱的是西索,就快嫁给他了,这些小事都不再重要
And the fact I love Cecil and shall be his wife shortly is of no importance?
我们之间发生了这么大的事
This tremendous thing has happened between us and it means …
这代表没有人能再阻扰我们
It means nothing must hinder us ever again.
你得明白这一点
You have to understand that.
– 我不知道你在说什么 – 每个人都应该明白
– I’ve no idea what you mean. – Everyone must understand.
你必须离开
And you must leave.
听你的话是我的错误
It was wrong of me to listen to you.
你根本没听进去,否则你该明白的
But you haven’t been listening. If you had, you would know!
– 快走吧! – 露西!
– Leave at once. Now. – Lucy …
– 我不要再多听一个字 – 亲爱的,别这样
– No, I will not listen to one more word. – My dears, do stop.
你做的还不够吗?别再干涉了
Haven’t you done enough? Don’t interfere again.
– 没用的,让我走吧 – 让他走,夏绿蒂
– It’s useless. Let me go, Miss Bartlett. – Let Mr. Emerson go, Charlotte.
– 我永远都不会原谅自己的 – 你总是这么说
– I shall never forgive myself. – You always say that,
但你永远都会原谅自己的
but you always do forgive yourself.
意大利为什么让女性作者写出如此荒诞的作品?
Why does Italy make lady novelists reach such summits of absurdity?
露西,天还没黑,还可再打一局
Lucy, it’s still light enough for another set.
– 爱默森先生有事先走了 – 真无趣
– Mr. Emerson has had to go. – What a nuisance.
西索来打吧!今天是佛洛伊的最后一天
I say, Cecil, do play, there’s a good chap. Just this once. It’s Floyd’s last day.
佛莱迪,你今早说得好,”有些人就只知道读书”
Freddy, as you remarked this morning, some chaps are good for nothing but books.
我承认我就是这种人
I plead guilty to being such a chap.
就因为我不肯陪佛莱迪打网球?
Because I wouldn’t play tennis?
我从未打过网球,我不会打啊
I never do play tennis. I never could.
算了,这只是导火线
Forget tennis. It was just the last straw.
抱歉,我不能嫁给你,有一天你会感激我的
I’m sorry, I can’t marry you. One day you’ll be glad I said so.
– 我们太截然不同了 – 但是我…
– We’re too different. – But I …
我爱你啊
I love you.
我认为你也爱我
And I did think you loved me.
我不!
I did not.
我原来也以为我爱你,抱歉
I thought I did at first. I’m sorry.
至于你爱我,其实你不是真爱我
As for your loving me, you don’t, not really.
你不爱我的!
You don’t. It’s only as something else.
你把我当你拥有的东西,一幅画,一个珍藏品
As something you own. A painting, a Leonardo.
我不想成为收藏品,我要当我自己
I don’t want to be a Leonardo, I want to be myself.
不能再说了
Oh, let’s not go on now.
再说就不好听了
I’ll only say things that will make me unhappy afterwards.
很显然,你不爱我
You don’t love me, evidently.
你有权如此
I dare say you’re right not to …
但如果我知道原因,我会好过些
… but it would help a little, hurt a little less, if I knew why.
因为…
Because …
你不用心去了解别人,尤其女人
… you can’t know anyone intimately, least of all a woman.
也不完全是这个意思,但你不停地发问
I don’t mean exactly that, but you will go on asking questions.
你自己封闭不说,也要把我封闭起来
You wrap yourself up in art, and want to wrap me up,
所以我才要退婚
so I’m breaking it off.
没错
It’s true.
完全都没错
True, on the whole.
你今晚全然不同,仿佛完全变成另一个人了
You’re so different tonight, like a different person speaking with a new voice.
此话怎讲?如果你认为我爱上别人,那你就错了
What do you mean? If you think I love someone else, you’re mistaken.
我没这意思
Of course I don’t. I only meant that …
我只觉得你有股我不知道的力量在驱使你
There was a force in you I hadn’t known of up to now.
如果一个女孩退婚,那大家就会认为她一定另结新欢
If a girl breaks off her engagement, everyone thinks, “Oh, she has someone else.”
这种想法真是迂腐
It’s disgusting, brutal!
若我有失言,请你原谅,我已失去理智
Forgive me if I say stupid things. My brain has gone to pieces.
我们去睡吧
I think we’d better go to bed, if you don’t mind.
让我效劳吧
Let me do that for you.
我要感谢你所做的一切
I must actually thank you for what you’ve done.
让我了解我的为人
For showing me what I really am.
我钦佩你的勇气
I admire your courage.
你愿意和我握手吗?
Will you shake hands?
当然愿意
Of course I will, Cecil.
晚安
Good night.
我很抱歉
I’m sorry about it.
谢谢你没有为难我
Thank you for taking it so well.
天气渐渐凉了,而我们尚未找到栖身处所
Since the days are chillier now and we’ve not, alas, a home of our own,
我妹妹建议到暖和的地方去玩
my sister feels we might benefit by travel to a warmer clime.
医生开给她有助消化的面包,我们可以带在路上吃
The doctor has ordered her special bread, but we can take that with us.
先是坐船,再转火车
It is only getting first into a steamer and then a train.
– 你好,凡斯先生 – 你好
– Hello. So you’re off, Mr. Vyse? – Yes.
我正要把爱伦小姐的信送去给汉尼小姐,让我读一部分给你听
I’ve come to show Miss Honeychurch a letter from our friends the Miss Alans.
佛罗伦萨很适合我妹妹,我们想今年冬天到雅典一游
“Since Florence did my sister so much good, we think we should try Athens this winter.”
真有情调,那是个好地方
Isn’t it wonderful? The Parthenon, the frieze of Phydias.
– 你见过爱伦小姐吗? – 没见过
– Have you ever met these Miss Alans? – Never.
那你无法享受到希腊之行的情趣
Then you cannot appreciate the romance of this visit.
我从未去过希腊
I’ve never been myself, nor do I have any plans to go.
也没打算要去,那地方太大,有火柴吗?
Altogether too big for our little lot, don’t you agree? Got any matches?
谢谢
Thank you.
你说得很对,希腊不适合我们
You’re quite right. Greece is not for our little lot.
– 再见 – 再见
– Goodbye. – Goodbye.
毕伯先生,火柴
Mr. Beebe! Matches!
火柴
Matches!
西索很伤心,露西不愿嫁给他
Cecil’s hard hit. Lucy won’t marry him.
– 什么时候的事? – 昨晚,我得走了
– When? – Late last night. I must go.
– 我现在去你家无妨吗? – 去啊,没关系
– Will they want me to go down? – Yes. Goodbye.
走吧,波威
All right, Powell.
夏绿蒂,别拿剪刀给我,我手上已经满了
No, Charlotte. Not the scissors, not when my hands are full.
– 下午好 – 你好,毕伯先生
– Good afternoon. – How do you do, Mr. Beebe?
– 这里一团乱糟糟的 – 是啊
– Good gracious! What a mess things are! – Yes.
今天大家都很怪,叔叔,我们到外面去喝茶吧
Everyone’s so horrid today, Uncle Arthur. Let’s go out to tea.
好主意,我带你去
Good idea. Get your hat and coat and I’ll take you.
我要带蜜尼到毕海小馆去,一起去吧,巴特列小姐
I’ll take Minnie to the Beehive Tavern. Care to join us, Miss Bartlett?
太好了,夏绿蒂!我不介意
Oh, yes, Charlotte! I don’t mind.
不,那就没人帮你忙了,我多少可以帮点小忙
No. You have no one to help. My services are better than nothing.
弄伤了吗?…抱歉!
Oh, dear, Marian. I’m so sorry.
欺骗毕伯先生,妈妈,佛莱迪和下人们
这是爱伦小姐来的信,她们计划一游希腊,我念给你听听
A delightful letter from the Miss Alans. They’re going to Greece. I’ll read you some.
“亲爱的毕伯先生,我们应该只会去雅典”
“Dear Mr. Beebe, I doubt we shall go any further than Athens,
“但如果你知道土耳其有哪里可住,请告知,我们会感激你的”
“but, if you know of a good pensione in Constantinople, we should be so grateful.”
不错吧,她们终究会环游世界的
Isn’t that delightful? I do believe they’ll end by going round the world.
不错
Delightful.
你弟弟告诉我了
Miss Honeychurch, your brother has told me.
– 是吗? – 我没想到会这样
– Did he? – I needn’t say it will go no further.
母亲,夏绿蒂 西索,佛莱迪,你
Mother … Charlotte … Cecil … Freddy … you …
容我直说,你这样做是对的
If I may say so, I’m certain you’ve done the right thing.
多谈谈爱伦小姐的事,他们能出国真好
Tell me more of the Miss Alans. How splendid of them to go abroad.
我叫他们从威尼斯出发,坐船到伊利里亚海岸
I want them to start from Venice and then go by cargo steamer down the Illyrian coast.
– 佛莱迪说他马上会回来吗? – 他没说
– Did Freddy say he’d drive straight back? – No, he didn’t.
我希望他不会到处乱说
I hope he won’t gossip.
他们能出国真棒,真希望我也能同行
How splendid of them to go. I wish they’d take me.
你母亲会答应吗?
Would your mother spare you?
她一定会答应,我得离开这里
She must. I simply must go away.
我必须走,你不明白吗?
I have to. Don’t you see I have to go away?
夏绿蒂,很有情调吧?爱伦小姐要去康士炭丁堡
Charlotte, the Miss Alans are going to Constantinople.
不,只是去雅典
No, only to Athens.
我一直想去康士炭丁堡…我是指雅典
I’ve longed to go to Constantinople … Athens, I mean.
我们可以请你们去喝茶吗?