不需要
We needn’t.
– 现在佛莱迪又想请爱默森来 – 他不必
– And now Freddy wants to ask the Emersons. – Well, he needn’t.
而你又不喜欢西索
And you’re not pleased with Cecil.
亲亲我
Kiss me.
当然了,如果你希望夏绿蒂来的话,既然她这么可怜
Well, of course, if you want Charlotte to come, with her boiler and everything …
她对我又那么好
She’s been so kind to me.
再亲我一下
Kiss me again.
– 你要关窗吗? – 谢谢你
– Would you like it closed? – Oh, thank you.
– 非常谢谢你 – 不客气
– Thank you so much. – Pleasure.
伙计!你能否…
Oh, porter! Could you …
小姐,你得补票,这只能到前一站下车
The ticket says Dorking. That was the last station.
好烦人,我需要叫小包车
How very vexing! I shall have to get a cab.
爱默森先生,你怎么在这儿?
Mr. Emerson. What are you doing here?
我爸住在这儿,我是来渡周末的
My father lives here. I’ve come for the weekend.
– 你还好吧? – 还好
– Are you all right? – Oh, yes.
露西,我在车站遇见他了
Oh, Lucy, I met him at the station.
我不知他在这儿,可怜的露西
I had no idea. Oh, my poor Lucia!
亲爱的马丽恩,多么愚昧的错误,你不会原谅我的
My dear Marian, what a stupid blunder. You’ll never forgive me.
– 佛莱迪,去付车资 – 不,让我来
– Freddy, pay the cab. – No, I must. I absolutely insist.
你好吗?凡斯先生?
Oh, how do you do, Mr. Vyse?
– 这是佛洛伊先生,佛莱迪之友 – 不,我坚持我来付
– And Mr. Floyd, a friend of Freddy’s. – I insist I pay for my cab.
– 这是蜜尼,毕伯先生的侄女 – 让我来
– And this is Minnie, Mr. Beebe’s niece. – Grant me that.
– 这是车资 – 谢谢你,先生
– Here you are. – Thank you, sir.
我坚持自己付
I insist, absolutely.
如果你真的要付,共五先令,外加小费一先令
All right. Five shillings and a bob for the driver.
我就是不喜欢欠债
We all have our foibles, and mine is prompt settling of accounts.
谁有零钱?
Does anyone have any change?
多少?这金币该给谁?
How much is … Who do I give the sovereign to?
– 汉尼,掷铜板决定 – 好
– Toss for it, Honeychurch. – All right.
不要,我会觉得不好过
No. I know I’m a spoilsport, but it would make me wretched.
输的人不就吃亏吗?
It would be robbing the one who lost.
佛莱迪还欠我十五先令,如果金币给我的话,一切都没事
Freddy owes me 15 shillings, so it works out all right if you give the pound to me.
十五先令?为什么?凡斯先生
Fifteen shillings to you? How so, Mr. Vyse?
因为十五先令加上五先令是一镑
Because fifteen and five shillings make a pound.
– 为什么金币要给凡斯先生? – 不,谢了
Why is Mr. Vyse taking the quid? No, thank you!
– 喝茶 – 那佛洛伊的十先令呢?
– Have some tea. – What about Mr. Floyd’s ten shi …
为什么这位女士不付司机的小费呢?
And why doesn’t she pay the bob for the driver?
这是司机的一先令,谢谢你提醒我
A shilling for the driver. Of course. How kind of you to remind me.
有没有人能找开五先令?
Does anyone have change for half a crown?
西索,那金币给我
Cecil, give that sovereign to me.
我找玛丽换零钱,然后我们再从头来算
Mary can change it, and we’ll start from the beginning.
天啊,很抱歉,我真惹人厌
Oh, dear. I am sorry. What a nuisance I am!
可怜的夏绿蒂
Poor Charlotte!
玛丽,你有零钱吗?
Mary, have you got any change?
一镑?
For a sovereign.
你有告诉他关于他的事吗?
Have you told him about him?
没,我谁也没讲,我说过我不会讲
No, I haven’t, nor anyone. I promised you I shouldn’t.
这是你的钱 全部换成先令了
Here’s your money. It’s all shillings except two half crowns.
你可以还债了
You can settle your debt nicely now.
如果凡斯先生从别地方听到会多可怕
How dreadful. How more than dreadful if Mr. Vyse should hear from another source.
没有其他地方
There is no other source.
– 乔治会告诉爱默森先生 – 他不会,他谁也不会说
– George would tell Mr. Emerson. – He would tell no one.
– 你怎么知道? – 我就是知道,我们出去好吗?
– How do you know? – Because I know. Shall we go out?
亲爱的,等一下,我们也许没机会再谈,你跟他说过话吗?
Dear, a moment. We may not have this chance again. Have you spoken to him yet?
我见过他
I have seen him.
你别再认为他喜欢我,根本没这回事
Stop thinking he admires me or any nonsense of that sort. He doesn’t. Not one straw.
佛莱迪,住手
Freddy, stop it!
可怜的蜜尼,不要闹
No, poor Minnie. No, not me. Get off!
露西!露西,那是什么书?
Lucy! Lucy! What’s that book?
是谁把书丢在那里?
Who’s been leaving books out to spoil?
– 是西索从图书馆借来的书 – 捡起来
– It’s only a library book of Cecil’s. – Well, pick it up.
那是珍藏品,我忘了为什么,但是我请求
It’s a special collection. I forget what for, but I beg,
不准有半点粗鲁碰撞这盘子
no vulgar clinking ha’pennies in the plate.
记得要给蜜尼六便士,那小鬼呢?
Make sure Minnie has a sixpence. Where is the child?
亲爱的马丽恩,很抱歉,我没有零钱,你能…
Dear, I’m so sorry, I don’t seem to have any small change. Could you …
慢慢说,我的天,好漂亮的衣服
Yes, easily. Gracious, how smart you look! What a lovely frock.
出发吧,巴威尔
Go on.
再见,一切顺利
Goodbye. Be good.
“长廊下” 一个意大利的罗曼史
世界上再没有更耀眼的地方胜过他们面对面站着的地方
“‘No place on earth as glorious as this where love is spoken face to face.
他在她身边狂喊着,”银色般的晨光,回旋的燕子”
“So he cried, ‘Utter rapture! The silvered twilight, the wraith-like swallows,
“寂静大地的香气都充塞我心中,那无以用言语衡量的幸福”
“‘the perfume of the cooling earth all fill me with inutterable and inestimable bliss.’
宛如殊死战的…
“And so, locked in mortal combat, they brought to life the eternal …
“…永恒的战场,他们面对面的站着”
“They brought to life the eternal battle where men stand face to face
“…慢慢地包围,勇敢地战斗,坚决的挑战…”
“to slowly gird, to bravely fight, to stoutly dare …”
听着,露西,三比二
Listen, Lucy. Three split infinitives.
再一次进入耳内,我的朋友
“And then the cry was heard, ‘Once more into the breach, my friends.”‘
胜利,佛洛伊先生
Victory, Mr. Floyd!
背景是在佛罗伦斯,日落,意大利的落日
“The scene is set in Florence. The sunset. The sunset of Italy.”
– 你介意失败吗? – 我当然介意
– Did you mind losing? – Of course.
你打得不是那么好,阳光照得我看不清楚
You’re not such a splendid player. The light was in my eyes.
我没说我打得好
I never said I was.
在奥尔卡尼亚的长廊下,我有时称之为罗吉亚的长廊
“Under Orcagna’s Loggia, the Loggia de Lanzi, as we call it now …”
书名是什么?
What’s the title?
– “长廊下”作者是伊兰诺•赖维虚 – 伊兰诺•赖维虚
– Under a Loggia by Eleanor Lavish. – Eleanor Lavish!
天啊!记得她吗?爱默森先生?
My goodness! Do you remember her, Mr. Emerson?
– 当然 – 难道这么差劲
– Of course. – No wonder the novel’s so bad.
我想既然认识她,还是该念一下
Still, one ought to read it, I suppose.
– 有一幕很荒谬,我想跳过 – 念来听听
– There’s an absurd account of a view. – Do read it.
你认为我们的风景如何?爱默森?
Do you like our view, Mr. Emerson?
我父亲说,”唯一完美的风景…”
My father says there’s only one perfect view,
“…就是我们头上的蓝天”
the view of the sky over our heads.
我希望你父亲念过但丁的文章
I expect your father has been reading Dante.
– 念一下 – 我不在爱默森先生取悦我们时念
– Do read it. – Not while Mr. Emerson is entertaining us.
不,不要,念!再没有比大声念坏作品更好笑的了
No, do. Nothing’s funnier than silly things read aloud.
爱默森先生如果觉得无趣,去打球吧!
Mr. Emerson finds us frivolous. Look for tennis balls, Mr. Emerson.
– 我一定得去吗? – 不,当然不
– Do I have to? – No, of course not.
第二章,翻到第二章
It’s in chapter two. Find me chapter two.
– 给我 – 不要,真的好菜
– Give it here. – No, it’s the silliest thing.
来吧!
Come on.
– 西索 – 谢了
– Cecil! – Thank you.
啊哈
A-ha.
离佛罗伦斯塔遥远之处
“Afar off, the towers of Florence.
“她似在梦中漫游着,在大麦田波浪般的金海中…”
“And she wandered as though in a dream through the wavering sea of barley…
“…抚触着深红色的罂粟花…”
“…touched with crimson stains of poppies…
“全然不知他已来到她身边”,这真是不朽的文笔啊!
“All unobserved, he came to her.” Isn’t it immortal?
“自他唇间流露出无声的宣言,就如同所有恋爱中之男女”
“There came from his lips no wordy protestations such as formal lovers use.
“此时他无声胜有声,紧紧地将她拥入他强壮的怀抱里”
“No eloquence was his, nor did he need it. He simply enfolded her in his manly arms …”
下面还有更精彩的呢
No, this isn’t the bit. It’s further on.
– 我们进去喝茶好吗? – 当然好
– Shall we go in to tea? – By all means.
借过
Excuse me.
夏绿蒂,借一分钟
Charlotte, a minute.
西索,请玛丽弄些三明治,我很快就过去
Cecil, ask Mary for sandwiches. I’ll be with you in a moment.
你知道在赖维虚小姐书中有一幕
Do you know Miss Lavish’s novel?
男主角和女主角相爱,你知道这件事吗?
There’s a scene in it, the hero and heroine make love. Do you know about that?
你知道这件事吗?
Do you know about it?
他们在佛罗伦斯郊外的山边
They’re on a hillside and Florence is in the distance.
有罂粟花和大麦田
There are poppies and a barley field.
我不信这是巧合,夏绿蒂,你怎么能告诉她?
It can’t be coincidence. How could you tell her?
露西!老天!她没将这写入小说中吧?
Oh, Lucy! Oh, dearest girl! She hasn’t put that in her novel?
那么,就再也…伊兰诺•赖维虚就再也不是我的朋友了
Never, never more shall Eleanor Lavish be a friend of mine.
看来你的确告诉她这件事,为什么?你甚至不让我告诉妈
So you did tell. Why? When you wouldn’t even let me tell Mother?
西索念这段给我听
Cecil read it to me.
那人则乘机背着西索再度侵犯我
And that man insulted me again behind Cecil’s back.
你为何要告诉她?
Why did you tell her? What made you?
即使你原谅我,我即使到死也无法原谅自己
Even if you forgive me, I shall never forgive myself till my dying day.
去叫他来
Go and call him.
– 叫凡斯先生? – 不,另外那个
– Call Mr. Vyse? – No. The other one.
这次我得亲自出面处理
I’ll deal with him myself.
欺骗乔治
你错过了一场好球赛,巴特利小姐
You missed a good match, Miss Bartlett.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!