也算是个嘲讽性的消遣
I’ve won a great victory for the comic muse.
爱伦小姐怎么办?
After all the trouble I took over the Miss Alans.
当然我比较喜欢和你好友来住
Of course I’d prefer friends of yours …
我的好友?这根本是一则笑话
Friends of mine? The joke is to come.
我们完全不认识,我在国家画廊认识他们
They’re strangers I met in the National Gallery.
他们也去过意大利,父子两人,奇怪的一对
They had been to Italy. A father and son. The oddest couple.
他们问我是否知道..
In the course of conversazione, they said they wanted a country cottage.
一处他们可以闻到泥土味的农舍出租
A simple burrow where they could smell the earth.
当然,伦敦自有其特性
Of course, London has its own character,
但我们一直想有个绿野的环境
but we’ve a longing for green things growing, don’t we, George?
在英国乡间
The sweetness of the English countryside,
听灌木丛中的鸟鸣
of wet hedgerows with birds singing inside them.
我们应该随遇而安
I know we should make our heaven and earth where we are.
我需要外人帮助
However, I fear I’ve faltered and need some help from outside.
简言之,我在找一乡间小舍,乔治可趁周末来探望我
Well, in short, sir, what I seek is a country cottage where George can come at weekends.
我知道有一处很合你意,不是农舍,可以说是别♥墅♥
I happen to know of just the place. Not exactly a cottage, more a villa.
亲爱的先生,我恳求你…
Dear sir, I implore you …
如果你能给我名片
If you’d give me your card …
我忘了带名片,但乔治会把地址抄下来
I fear we have no card, but George will write down the address.
哈瑞奥瑞爵士,它是位于一个叫夏日街的地方
Sir Harry Otway. It is in Surrey, a place called Summer Street.
夏日街!我一直梦想找到这地方
Summer Street! I’ve dreamed of Summer Street.
这一来可给那势利的哈瑞爵士一个教训
It will teach that snob Sir Harry a lesson.
不必细分阶级,我相信民♥主♥
The classes should mix, there should be intermarriage. I believe in democracy.
你根本不知此字的意义
No, you don’t! You don’t know what the word means.
这不公平,我或许见过他
It isn’t fair! I’ve probably met them before.
完全的公平,如果能惩罚势利之人
Perfectly fair if it punishes a snob.
西索,都怪你,你破坏了我为爱伦小姐做的事
I blame you. You had no business to undo my work about the Miss Alans.
你驳倒了哈利,可是代价却是我付出的
You’ve scored off Sir Harry, but at my expense.
你太不忠诚了
It was most disloyal of you.
露西,控制一下脾气,拜托!
Temper, Lucy, temper. Please!
– 哈啰! – 哈啰!
– Hello? – Hello.
– 我带某人来见你 – 我马上下来
– I’ve brought someone to see you. – One minute.
拜伦,没错
Byron. Exactly.
一个什罗浦夏青年
“A Shropshire Lad”.
没听过
Never heard of it.
光道
“The Way of All Flesh”.
没听过
Never heard of it.
乔治读德文
Hello? George reads German.
我确定那是老爱默森的字,他们在干什么?
I’m certain that’s old Emerson. What are those people doing? Hello!
等一下,毕伯先生
Wait on, Mr. Beebe.
– 这是一位邻居,汉尼先生 – 你好!
– This is Mr. Honeychurch. – How do you do?
你好!请进!
How do you do? Come in.
一起去洗个澡吧
Come and have a bathe!
好主意
I’d like that.
这是我听过最有趣的开场白: “你好吗?一起来洗个澡”
What a conversational opening! “How do you do? Come and have a bathe.”
爱默森,这是汉尼先生,你还记得他姐姐吧!
Emerson, this is Honeychurch. You remember his sister.
是的,很高兴见到你
Oh, yes. How do you do? Glad to see you.
很高兴听到你姐姐快结婚的消息,希望她能快乐
Very glad to hear your sister is marrying. I’m sure she’ll be happy.
我们也认识凡斯先生,他人很好
We know Mr. Vyse, too. He’s been very kind.
乔治,去洗个澡,再回来喝茶
Go and bathe. It will do you good. Then all come back for some tea.
– 你想洗澡吗? – 要,我说过要
– Do you really want this bathe? – Yes, I’ve said so.
再见,爱默森先生
Bye, Emerson.
带些牛奶,蜂蜜和…和点心
Bring some milk and honey and, er, cakes. Cakes!
你这里实在棒极了,汉尼
Yours is glorious country, Honeychurch!
巧合实在太少见了
As a matter of fact, coincidence is much rarer than we suppose.
比方说,你现在会在此并不是巧合
For example, on reflection, it’s not coincidental that you’re here now.
我已尽力了,但命运难违
I have reflected. It’s fate. Everything is fate.
你尚未尽全力,我来问你
You’ve not reflected. Let me cross-examine you.
你在哪儿遇见凡斯先生的?
Where did you meet Mr. Vyse?
– 国立画廊 – 正在欣赏意大利作品时
– The National Gallery. – Looking at Italian art.
你谈到命运的巧合
You see? You talk of coincidence and fate.
你很自然将注意力集中在意大利,就如同我们和所有的朋友
You’re naturally drawn to things Italian, as are we and all our friends.
这就缩小了无限的范围
That narrows the field immeasurably.
是命运,但如果你高兴,叫它意大利也无妨
It is fate, but call it Italy if it pleases you, Vicar.
你要洗吗?毕伯先生
Are you bathing, Mr. Beebe?
– 不要害臊 – 有何不可?
– Don’t be shy! – Why not?
好棒!只是随波逐流
Oh, it’s wonderful! Simply ripping.
快点,爱默森先生
Hurry up, Emerson!
– 来呀,毕伯先生 – 我也洗
– Come along, Mr. Beebe! – I may as well wash, too.
来也!
Here goes.
绕着跑一圈
Race you round it!
“In Xanadu, did Kubla Khan a stately pleasure dome decre ….”
你走得太远了
You’ve gone too far! Really, I …
我有一双靴子
I have a boot!
还有几条裤子…
And some trousers …
老天保佑!
Graces alive!
– 往这走,快 – 这些不幸的人是谁?
– Come this way immediately! – Who were those unfortunate people?
往这走,汉尼太太,跟着我!
This way, Mrs. Honeychurch. Follow me.
天啊!不要看
Oh, dears. Look away!
可怜的毕伯先生
Poor Mr. Beebe, too!
小心,你踏到我了
You’re treading on me!
原来你也在这儿!为什么不在家洗澡?
It is you! Why not have a comfortable bath at home with hot and cold laid on?
-妈妈 – 不要解释,佛莱迪,露西,我们走!
– Mother! – You’re in no position to argue. Come, Lucy.
看!不,不要看,可怜的毕伯!
Oh, look! No, don’t look! Poor Mr. Beebe!
夏绿蒂的老旧热水器
可怜的夏绿蒂
Poor Charlotte.
可怜,可怜的夏绿蒂
Poor, poor Charlotte!
这是读夏绿蒂来信必有的反应
Standard reaction to any letter from Cousin Charlotte.
可怜的夏绿蒂
Poor, poor Charlotte!
这是很认真的
This is serious.
她的热水器被切断,浴室系统要清除,还有很多要做的事
Her boiler is to be had out and the cistern cleaned and all kinds of to-doing.
我认为该留她住下来,让她从水管工人那儿脱身
I think we should ask her to stay. Give her a holiday while the plumbers finish.
不,佛莱迪的朋友也要来
No! We’re squeezed to death with Freddy’s friend and Minnie Beebe.
佛莱迪,别闹
Freddy, must you?
其实,你不喜欢夏绿蒂
The truth is, you don’t like Charlotte.
她让我觉得紧张
Well, she gets on my nerves.
当她在罗马见到西索时,她差点把他逼疯
The time she met Cecil, she drove him quite frantic.
拜托,这最后一个夏日,别让我们烦心,不要叫她来
So, please, don’t worry us this last summer. Spoil us by not asking her to come.
听着,听着,我们不赞成巴特利小姐来
Hear, hear. We vote no Miss Bartlett.
你俩这样太不友善了,你们互相拥有,而可怜的夏绿蒂…
This isn’t very kind of you two. You have each other and poor Charlotte …
– 又来了,可怜的夏绿蒂…不但没水,还请水管工匠来修理
– Again! Poor Charlotte. … has the water turned off and plumbers.
弹着手风琴忧伤的弦
∮Strike the concertina’s melancholy string ∮
吹奏着精神高昂的乐曲
∮Blow the spirit-stirring harp like anything ∮
让钢琴的音乐响起
∮Let the piano’s martial blast ∮
引发过去的回响
∮Rouse the echoes of the past ∮
然后他们弹奏鸣曲,再来呢?
∮They played their next sonata, let me see ∮
中心,圆形,G小调
∮Medulla oblongata, key of G … ∮
换成E小调如何?
However, we’re in E flat.
– 怎么回事?不好听吗? – 好听极了,亲爱的
– Wasn’t it any good? – It’s lovely, dear.
然后他们开始唱
∮Then they began to sing ∮
非常可爱的调子
∮That extremely lovely thing ∮
诙谐曲,三拍子
∮Scherzando ma non troppo, P, P, P∮
诙谐曲,三拍子
∮ Scherzando ma non troppo, P, P, P ∮
西索是不是看我不顺眼?
Is anything the matter with Cecil?
因为我无法再为他找任何藉口
Because otherwise, I cannot account for him.
我一说话,他就闪人
Whenever I speak, he winces.
我亲眼看见的,露西,你顶撞我也无济于事
I see him, Lucy. It’s useless to contradict me.
无可置疑,我并不是很有气质,也没学识,更非绝顶聪明
No doubt, I am not artistic nor literary nor intellectual.
你父亲买♥♥了画具,而我们也尽量利用
Your father bought the drawing room furniture, and we must put up with it.
西索并非故意无礼的
Cecil doesn’t mean to be uncivil.
他曾经解释过,是不美丽的事物使他如此,他对人并不粗野的
He explained. It’s ugly things that upset him. He’s not uncivil to people.
那佛莱迪唱歌♥时,他是怎么回事?
Is it a thing or a person when Freddy sings?
你不能要一个真正的音乐人来欣赏我们的打油诗
You can’t expect a really musical person to appreciate comic songs as we do.
难道他一定要加以取笑,破坏大家的兴趣吗?
Must he sneer and spoil everyone’s pleasure?
– 去休息吧!亲爱的 – 是的,妈
– Go and dress, dear. – All right, Mother.
星期天,我想请乔治来打网球
Sunday week, I want to ask George Emerson up for some tennis.
– 不,佛莱迪… – 他很行的,也很潇洒
– Oh, no, Freddy … – Oh, he’s topping. He’s spiffing!
乔治•爱默森很帅的!
George Emerson is simply ripping!
你们怎么这么吵呢?佛莱迪,让露西走
What a noise you’re making. Freddy, let Lucy go.
老小姐,可否帮我扣后面扣子?
Hook me behind.
我们需要请夏绿蒂来吗?
Need we have Charlotte?

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!