哈,依格先生,早上好
Ah, Mr. Eager, good morning.
我带一个团体来参观
I’m leading a little private tour of my own.
这是他死时的情景,围绕着…
Here he is on his deathbed, surrounded …
依格先生是我们英国在此的代表
Mr. Eager is our English chaplain here in Florence.
…很不幸地被处罚
… now unhappily ruined by restoration,
一切都过去了
is untroubled by the snares of anatomy and perspective …

Look at that fat man! He must weigh as much as I do, but he’s floating like a balloon.
记住,这个教堂是依赖信仰和激♥情♥建立起来的
Remember that Santa Croce was built by faith in the full fervor of medievalism.
依赖信仰?也就是说当初那些工人的待遇都不好
Built by faith! That simply means the workers weren’t paid properly!
对不起,这个小教堂确实太小,我不在这儿妨碍你们了!
Pardon me. The chapel is somewhat small. We will incommode you no longer.
噢,我…噢!
Oh, I … Oh!
依格先生,这个地方不小的,你不必这样…
Mr. Eager, there’s plenty of room for all of us. You don’t have to …
天哪?天哪
Oh, dear.
各位,请进来
Gather round, everybody.
各位可以发现到在此地
You may observe here in the Peruzzi Chapel,
像我们刚离开的那一间
as well as in the place from which we’ve been expelled,
在伟大的画家中,乔托有独特个性
the special character of Giotto among the great painters.
他是个有实力的…
He was practical …
我这可怜的孩子有脑子,但却很糊涂
My poor boy has brains, but he’s very muddled.
他怎么会呢?
But why should he be?
问得好啊,但是想想他是如何受教育的…
Well may you ask. But think how he’s been brought up,
迷信使得人们借上帝之名互相仇恨
free from the superstition that leads men to hate in the name of God.
我得走了…
I must go …
我不是让你去爱上他,只是请你帮助他
I don’t require you to fall in love with my boy, but please help him.
如果有人能劝他清醒…
If only one could stop him from brooding.
认清宇宙中的一切事物
And on what The things of the universe.
我不信悲观的论调,你呢?
I don’t believe in this world sorrow. Do you?
我也不信!一点不信!
No, I don’t. Not at all, Mr. Emerson.
你是对的.请也使我的孩子明白
Well, there you are. Make my boy realize that,
在无穷的”为什么”的边上,一定存在”是的”这种肯定的一面!
at the side of the everlasting “why”, there is a “yes”.
有”是的” 还有”是的”
And a “yes” and a “yes”!
你儿子有特别的爱好吗?
Has your son no particular hobby?
比方我喜欢弹琴
I forget my worries at the piano,
还有集邮是弟弟的爱好
and collecting stamps helped my brother.
我得走了,爱默森先生,如果我不快回去,表姐会着急
Excuse me. My cousin will be most anxious if I don’t get back.
– 可怜的女孩 – 可怜的女孩?
– Poor girl. – Poor girl?
我觉得自己是幸运的女孩,非常幸福,一直如此
I think myself most fortunate. I’m very happy and having a splendid time.
谢谢你,再见
Thank you very much. Goodbye.
看那可爱的运酒车,看看他看我们的神情,纯朴可爱
Look at that adorable wine cart. How he stares at us, dear simple soul!
我喜欢看小巷
I love these little dark alleys.
他们都是农夫,向前走
They’re all peasants, you know. Come along.
我想我们迷路了
I do declare we’re lost.
不,你别看旅行指南了
No, Miss Bartlett, you will not look into your Baedeker.
二个孤单的女士在不知名的城市,我叫它”冒险”
Two lone females in an unknown city, that’s what I call an adventure.
我们就随遇而安吧!
We will simply drift.
为人应保持开放,我想露西小姐就是如此
One always has to be wide open. I think Miss Lucy is.
– 哪方面开放? – 身体感受
– Open to what, Miss Lavish? – To physical sensation.
我告诉你一个秘密,我注意过你表妹…
I’ll let you into a secret. I have my eye on your cousin.
是为了你书中的某个角色?
For a character in your novel?
年轻的英国女孩在意大利有了改变
The young English girl, transfigured by Italy.
她为何不被改变?
And why should she not be transfigured?
歌♥德就改变过
It happened to the Goths.
(意大利话)
太太们?
Signorina?
这个味道!
The smell!
正宗的佛罗伦萨味道.吸气!亲爱的!
A true Florentine smell. Inhale, my dear.
深呼吸!
Deeper.
意大利每一个城市都有特殊的味道
Every city, let me tell you, has its own smell.
(意大利话)
Grazie.
(意大利话)
你现在如何?
How are you now?
好了,完全好了
Perfectly well. Absolutely well.
我们回去吧!
Then, let’s go home.
我们留下没用的!
There’s no point in our stopping.
你真是太好了!谢谢你,我自己可以走
How very kind you’ve been. I can go alone. Thank you.
– 我的照片? – 什么照片?
– My photographs! – What photographs?
我一定掉在那里了,你是否可以…
I must have dropped them in the square. Would you be so kind …
汉妮小姐!
Miss Honeychurch!
你不适合单独回去
You’re not fit enough to go alone.
– 我可以,谢谢 – 不,你不行
– I am. – No, you’re not!
– 但我必须回去了 – 那我就不去找照片了
– But … – Then I don’t get the photographs.
而且,你必须要爬墙
Besides, that way, you’d have to fly over the wall.
记住,请坐下来,不要走!
Sit down and don’t move until I come back.
很棒吧!
Isn’t it extraordinary?
我是指意大利人很仁慈很可爱,同时又这么暴♥力♥
I mean, Italians are so kind, so lovable, and yet at the same time so violent.
爱默森先生?
Mr. Emerson?
我这一生没这么难堪过,我不知道怎么回事?
I’ve never been so ashamed. I can’t think what came over me.
这是很自然的!我自己也很失态!
It’s perfectly natural. I nearly fainted myself.
我应向你道歉
Well, I owe you a thousand apologies.
我想请你帮个忙
And I want to ask you a great favor.
你知道好多无聊的人喜欢…
You know how silly people are…
…说长道短
…Gossiping.
特别是女士…
Ladies especially, I’m afraid.
– 你了解我的意思吗? – 不
– You understand what I mean? – No.
请你别对任何人提起我的失态
I mean, would you not mention it to anyone, my foolish behavior.
那是什么?好像是我的相片?
What was that? I believe it was my photographs!
我不知道如何处理,上面都是血
I didn’t know what to do with them. They were covered with blood.
现在我告诉你了
There. Now I’ve told you.
有些美妙的事发生
Something tremendous has happened.
再次谢谢你
Well, thank you again.
一下子发生这么多事,一个人回到了古老时代
How quickly accidents happen. Then one returns to the old life.
我却不是
I don’t.
我是指我遇到了一些事
I mean, something’s happened to me.
你也是!
And to you.
一行人等乘坐马车观光浏览
意大利人驾驶的马车
– 不 – 她是我妹妹
– No! – She is my sister.
– 我不确定应该允许这种事 – 他们没有做坏事
– We ought not to allow this. – They’re doing no harm.
此情此景我不认为你该反对
You can’t object in such a landscape.
但毕竟是他的妹妹?
As long as she is his sister.
汉妮丘吉小姐,你是以学生身份旅行的?
So, Miss Honeychurch, you’re traveling. As a student of art?
– 不,我不是 – 也许是以人类学学生的身份吧
– No, I’m afraid not. – As a student of human nature like myself?
– 我是来此观光的 – 真的吗?
– I’m here as a tourist. – Indeed?
请别认为我无礼,有时会有些可怜的观光客带一只箱子
We residents sometimes pity you poor tourists not a little.
走马观花地从威尼斯到佛罗伦斯,到罗马
Handed about like parcels from Venice to Florence to Rome,
对外地之事一无所知!慌忙地走到各地方
unconscious of anything outside Baedeker, anxious to get done and go on elsewhere.
我认为任何事都该受到尊敬的
I abhor Baedeker. I’d fling every copy in the Arno.
城镇,河流,宫殿,全都混为一个神奇的世界中
Towns, rivers, palaces, all mixed up in an inextricable whirl.
请注意那边,汉妮小姐
Over there, Miss Honeychurch,
我的好友海伦史塔夫人的别♥墅♥
the villa of my dear friend Lady Laverstock,
目前是艺术中心
at present busy with a Fra Angelico definitive study.
在你的左边…不,在那边
And, on your left, no, just there,
亨利先生住的地方
Mr. Henry Burridge lives.
他是最佳典型的美国人,不过很少见
An American of the best type. So rare!
他写过许多文章
Doubtless you know his monographs in Medieval Byways.
我想你父亲是个记者?
Your father, Mr. Emerson, is a journalist?
– 他曾经是的 – 他退休了,你呢?
– He used to be. – He’s retired? And you, yourself?
我在铁路局上班
I’m on the railways.
有个美国人对他父亲说
You know the American girl in Punch who says to her father,
“爸爸,我们在罗马看什么?”
“Say, Poppa, what did we see in Rome?”
他父亲回答说:”罗马可以看到黄狗”
The father replies, “Guess Rome was where we saw the yellow dog.”
黄狗!
Yellow dog!
你是为这个吗?
There’s traveling for you!
怎么了?快停车
What? Stop at once!
这是怎么了?
我看不下去了
I’m not having this.
(意大利语)
Ferma la carrozza subito!
我们还得坐车啊?
Have we bolted?
出事了吗?是凡顿开得不好吗?
What? Is Phaethon misbehaving with his Persephone?
-我知道如何对付这些人 -算了吧!
– Please, I’ll deal with them. – Leave them.
我们不是经常如此快乐的
Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it away?
(意大利语)
Scenda!
美景!

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!