And even if it were, you must force yourself to think otherwise.
美国是这个世界上唯一一个国家
America is the only country in the world
视死亡为某种个人的失败
that looks upon death as some kind of personal failure.
您还要点什么吗 妈妈?
May I get you something, Mother?
不用了 艾米莉
No, Emily.
您看起来总是如此悲伤 妈妈
You’ve always seemed so sad, Mother.
我的一生过得好象在一个梦中
My life has passed as if in a dream.
好象我从来不是生活的一个部分
As if I’d never been part of it.
温妮出生以后
After Vinnie was born,
一种忧郁症侵袭了我 我还误以为是某种情绪上的安逸
a kind of melancholia settled over me which I mistook for contentment.
我们是罪魁祸首吗?
Were we such a terrible price to pay?
不!
No!
我不会想要没有你们三个的生活
I wouldn’t be without all three of you.
有我的孩子围绕在我身边…
To have my children about me…
再也不会有比这更好的良药了
there could be no better medicine.
有时…
Sometimes…
在某些特定的时刻…
at a certain hour…
当太阳落下…
when the sun is low…
影子拉长…
the shadows lengthen…
我的内心充满了那样一种渴望的感觉
I am filled with such a sense of longing.
我感觉有一种好沉的重物压在我的心头
I feel such a weight on my heart.

Oh,
它真的好痛
how it aches.
哦 亲爱的
Oh, my dear.
哦 亲爱的
Oh, my dear.
好了 亲爱的 没事了
There, my lamb. There.
哦!
Oh!
沃兹沃斯神父远航去旧金山了
Reverend Wadsworth has sailed for San Francisco.
他们都走了 他们都离开了
They all go. They all leave.
他们全都抛弃了你
They all desert you.
别碰我!
Do not touch me!
我不需要被怜悯 这让我感觉自己令人厌恶
I will not be pitied. It makes me feel repulsive.
你太过看重肉体的美丑 艾米莉
You set too much store by physical beauty, Emily.
只有那些已经很美貌的人
The only people who can be sanguine about not being handsome
才会对自己漂不漂亮满不在乎
are those who are beautiful already.
我们剩下的人只有用我们的嫉妒 才能驱赶严寒
The rest of us have only our envy to keep us warm.
你拥有一种极美的特质 – 那又有什么用 在这个世界上?
You have an exquisite nature. – What’s the use of that in this world?
我有时想 你对自己太过苛刻
I sometimes think you are too harsh with yourself.
我有很多的弱点 有太多的东西需要修正!
I have many defects. There is much to rectify!
承认自己有太多的缺陷 与否认自己有太少的美德 一样具有惩罚性
It is just as punitive to admit to too many faults as it is to deny too few virtues.
那个沃兹沃斯神父已经是个有妇之夫
The Reverend Wadsworth is a married man.
这种依恋是不道德的
This kind of attachment is improper.
我们不可能全都拥有你这种自以为是的正义凛然
We can’t all possess your smug rectitude.
不要讥笑任何人的道德观
Don’t sneer at anyone’s morals
当你自己也几乎做不了多少检讨时
when your own could do with some little correction.
就此 我假设你指的是沃兹沃斯神父?
By that, I assume you mean Reverend Wadsworth?
他是已婚人士!
He’s married!
你不应该迷恋
You should not attach yourself
一个已经不是自♥由♥身 因而无法对这种依恋给予回报的人!
to someone who is not free to return that attachment!
你对这个男人几乎一无所知 除了从头到尾听过他的几次布道
You hardly know the man, except through his sermons.
而且 他和沃兹沃斯太太的生活非常幸福
Besides, he and Mrs Wadsworth are very happy.
她过着一种无可指责的生活
She has led a blameless life.
她过的那根本就不叫生活!她对此太过迟钝
She hasn’t led a life at all! She’s too inert for that.
如果温顺也叫爱 那么我们从此以后就都可以过着幸福的日子
If docility were love, we would all live happily ever after.
她是个好妻子!
She’s a good wife!
而且 说句真心话 我从来都无法理解她的丈夫对你的吸引力
And, to be truthful, I have never understood the attraction of her husband for you.
他绝对不是一位叫做罗切斯特的先生 而且你也肯定不是简·爱!
He is hardly a Mr. Rochester, and you are certainly not Jane Eyre!
那太冷酷了
That was unkind.
我也很抱歉
I’m sorry, too.
你不是自以为是的
You’re not smug.
但是我确实是在说教
But I do sermonise.
而我 也入戏太深
And I do over-dramatise.
但那个消息 它… 让人太难以承受了
But it was news that was… is hard to bear.
哦 你真是个苦命人!
Oh, you are a wretched creature!
你从来就得不到任何东西吗?
Will you never achieve anything?
我们对待爱情就像其他东西一样 穿不下时就放进抽屉
We outgrow love like other things And put it in the drawer,
直到它变成过时的古装 像老祖宗穿过的衣裳
Till it an antique fashion shows Like costumes grandsires wore.
愿主的面光照亮你
May the Lord make His face shine upon you
赐你恩宠
and be gracious unto you.
愿主的笑脸向你敞开 赐你平安
May the Lord lift up His countenance unto you and give you peace.
祝福你们拥有全世界所有的幸福
We wish you all the happiness in the world.
别流泪 艾米莉
No tears, Emily.
别流泪
No tears.
你会一起来吗? – 不
Will you come? – No.
代我向她挥手作别
Wave her my goodbye.
那个将死的愿望 却很渺小 亲爱的 — 一杯水足矣
The dying need but little, dear – A glass of water’s all,
让一朵花的平凡面庞 用来装饰那面墙
A flower’s unobtrusive face To punctuate the wall,
再加一把扇子 或许 还有一位友人的伤痛 当然那一件
A fan, perhaps, a friend’s regret, And certainly that one
当你离去时 会让彩虹的绚丽也无从察觉
No colour in the rainbow Perceives when you are gone.
双目温柔地回望韶华 毫不怀疑他已尽了全力
Look back on time with kindly eyes, He doubtless did his best;
太阳颤抖着悄然落下 沉入人性之西!
How softly sinks his trembling sun In human nature’s west!
如此庄严的一种损失 我们入会却得到收益
Of so divine a loss We enter but the gain,
对孤独的补偿 竟是如此一种天赐之福
Indemnity for loneliness That such a bliss has been.
如果我们进入默祷 那么我们会无所畏惧
If we reach into the silence then we cannot be afraid,
因为那万籁俱寂之地 上帝便在那里
for where there is nothing, there is God.
艾米莉?
Emily?
艾米莉?
Emily?
你得吃点东西
You must eat.
你现在就得下楼来
You must come down now.
已经三天了
It’s been three days.
你穿着白色
You are wearing white.
是的
Yes.
但我们还是在服丧期
But we’re still in mourning.
我也是
So am I.
艾米莉?这位是博尔斯先生
Emily? It’s Mr. Bowles.
他专程来阿默斯特看你
He’s come to Amherst specially to see you.
好吧 下来 真要命
Well, come down, damn you.
我拒绝同站在楼梯上 对着我居高临下的人说话
I refuse to speak to someone who’s a flight of stairs above me.
原谅我 先生 如果我张皇失措了
Forgive me, sir, if I’m frightened.
我从不见任何人 而且我也几乎不知道说什么好
I never see anyone and I hardly know what to say.
你可以说 谢谢你发表了我几篇诗作
You could say thank you for my publishing some of your verse.
对此 先生 你得到的不止是谢谢 因为我对此感激不尽
For that, sir, you have more than my thanks. You have my gratitude.
但是
But,
先生…
Sir…
你改动了我的几处标点符号♥
you have altered some of my punctuation.
我的老天 这儿一个连字号♥ 或者那儿一个分号♥是怎么回事?
Good Lord. What’s a hyphen here or a semi-colon there?
对很多人来说 一无所用
To many, nothing.
但是 对我来说 改动我的标点符号♥是非常难以忍♥受的
But, to me, the alteration of my punctuation marks is very hard to endure.
那么我道歉
Then I apologise.
我只不过是试图让你的意思 更清晰地展现给我的读者
I was merely trying to make your meaning clearer to my readers.
文字明晰是一回事 先生 通俗易懂显然又是另一回事
Clarity is one thing, sir, obviousness quite another.
唯一的一个有资格干预某个诗人作品的人 就是那个诗人她自己
The only person qualified to interfere with the poet’s work is the poet herself.
而来自其他人的干涉 那种感觉就像一种施暴
From anyone else, it feels like an attack.
狄金森小姐 话可不能那么说 或者 事儿可不能那么办
Miss Dickinson, this is no way to speak or behave.
如果你象这么对待一个求婚者 他或许不会再回来
If you treated a suitor like this, he would not return.
你能肯定会有那么一个人吗? – 当然
Are you sure there will be one? – Of course.
即使对于向你一样难以取悦的那些人
Even for someone as hard to please as yourself.
好吧 如果他真的来了
Well, if he does come,
迪斯雷利(1804~1881):英国政♥治♥家、作家、外交家,曾于1868及1874~1880年任英国首相
格莱斯顿(1809~1♥8♥9♥8):英国政♥治♥家,于1868~1♥8♥9♥4年四任英国首相
他得象迪斯雷利一样霸气 而且象格莱斯顿一样诚挚
he will have to be as spectacular as Disraeli and as sincere as Gladstone.
而且 还要向乔治·华盛达一样正直?
And as upright as George Washington?
乔治 是谁?
George who?
艾米莉?
Emily?
埃蒙斯先生过来看我们了
Mr. Emmons is coming to see us.
我们那位很帅的朋友?
Our beautiful friend?
你愿意下来吗? – 不
Will you come down? – No.
这很失礼 为什么你不愿意下来 见见他呢?
This is discourteous. Why will you not come down and meet him?
因为他是那么漂亮 而我却不够漂亮
Because he is so beautiful, and I am not beautiful enough.
他读了一些你发表的诗歌♥ 对它们赞赏有加
He’s read some of your published poems and admires them.
赞赏总是嫉妒的假面
Admiration always masks envy.
那么嫉妒的假面又是什么呢?

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!