The King in parliament tells me that they are.
所以他们当然是 你会为此发誓吗?
Of course I recognise them. Will you swear to it?
会的 那你为什么不对法案发誓?
Yes. Then why won’t he swear to the act?
因为法案中的内容比这要多的多
Because there is more than that in the act.
正是 托马斯爵士 法案的导言说到国王和
Just so Sir Thomas, it states in the creamble that the King’s former marriage…
凯瑟琳女士的婚姻是不合法的
…to the Lady Catherine was unlawful…
她曾经是他的兄弟的遗孀 而且教皇没有权力批准这个
…she being his brother’s widow and
the Pope having no authority to sanction it.
这是你所拒绝的吗?
Is that what you deny?
这是你所不同意的吗?
Is that what you dispute?
这是你所不肯定的吗?
Is that what you are not sure of?
你侮辱了陛下和枢密院在大主教面前
You insult His Majesty and Council in the person of the Lord Archbishop!
我没有侮辱任何人
I insult no one.
我也不会接受这个誓言 我不会告诉你为什么 我不会
I will not take the oath I will not tell you why I will not.
那你的原因一定是叛国和不忠 不是一定 是也许
Then your reasons must be treasonable! Not “must be,” may be.
这是个可能的假设罢了
It’s a fair assumption!
法律需要比假设更多的东西 法律需要的是事实
The law requires more than an assumption, the law requires a fact.
当然 在法律上我不能判你的罪
Of course, I cannot judge your legal standing in the case…
但是直到我清楚你所反对的为止
…but until I know the ground of your objections…
我都只能猜测你的思想状态
… I can only guess your spiritual standing, too.
如果你愿意猜测那个 你也可以猜到我的反对理由
If you’re willing to guess that, it should be small matter to guess my objections.
这就是说你还是有反对的!
Then you do have objections to the act?
我们知道这个 克伦威尔
Well, we know that, Cromwell!
不 大人 你没有
No, my lord, you don’t.
你也许能假设我有反对 你们所知道的只是我不会发誓
You may suppose I have objections, all you know is that I will not swear to it…
你们无法根据这一点判我的罪
…for which you cannot lawfully harm me further.
但是如果你要假设我有反对的对象的话
But if you were right in supposing me to have objections, and right again…
而且还假设我反对的原因是因为叛国和不忠
…in supposing my objections to be treasonable…
法律就能让你砍掉我的头
…the law would let you cut my head off.
对
Oh, yes.
好吧 托马斯爵士
Well done, Sir Thomas.
我已经试图把这个向两位大人解释过了
I’ve been trying to make that clear to His Grace for some time.
真烦人!我可不是学者
Oh, confound all this! I’m not a scholar.
我不知道这个婚姻是否合法
I don’t know if the marriage was lawful or not…
但是他妈的 托马斯 你看着这些名字
…but damn it, Thomas, look at these names.
为什么你就不能做和我们一样的事 以此接续我们的友谊呢?
Why can’t you do as I did, and come with us, for fellowship?
当你因为你的良心而被送上天堂
And when we die, and you are sent to heaven for doing your conscience…
我却因为没有按照我的良心而被下地狱的时候
你会为了友谊而跟随我吗?
…and I am sent to hell for not doing mine, will you come with me, for fellowship?
你是说名字在上面的都是可诅咒的 托马斯爵士?
So, those of us whose names are there, are damned, Sir Thomas?
我无法判断他人的良心
I have no window to look into another man’s conscience.
我不会诅咒任何人
I condemn no one.
但是这整件事情都是只得商榷的? 正是
Then the matter is capable of question? Certainly.
但是你对国王应尽的忠心确实不容商量的
But that you owe obedience to the King is not capable of question.
想想你的怀疑 在确定的忠心面前签上你的名吧
So weigh a doubt against a certainty and sign.
有些人认为地球是圆的 有人认为它是平的
Some men think the earth is round, others think it flat.
这也是值得商榷的
It is a matter capable of question.
但是如果它就是平的 国王的命令会把它变成圆的吗?
But if it is flat, will the King’s command make it round?
如果它就是圆的 国王的命令会把它变成平的吗?
And if it is round, will the King’s command flatten it?
不 我不会签字
No, I will not sign.
这也就是说你把你的怀疑凌驾于国王的命令之上
Then you have more regard for your own doubt than the King’s command?
我没有怀疑 没有什么的怀疑
For myself I have no doubt. No doubt of what?
我毫不怀疑我不会签字的事实
No doubt that I will not take this oath.
但我不签字的原因 你无法诱使我说出来
But why I will not, you, Master Secretary, will not trick out of me.
我会用别的方法让你说的
I might get it out of you in other ways.
你这威胁就像恶棍一样
You threaten like a dockside bully.
我怎么威胁你了?
How should I threaten?
就像一个正义的大臣
Like a minister of state, with justice!
就是正义让你觉得受到威胁了吗?
Justice is what you’re threatened with.
那也就是说我没有受到威胁
Then I am not threatened.
大人们 我不能上♥床♥睡觉吗?
Gentlemen, can’t I go to bed?
可以 囚犯可以退场 正如他所要求的
AyeThe prisoner may retire as he requests.
除非你 我觉得我们不需要继续延长下去
Unless you… I see no purpose in prolonging this.
那么晚安 托马斯
Then, goodnight, Thomas.
我能再得到一两本书吗?
May I have one or two more books?
为什么 你有书?
Why, you have books?
是的
Yes.
我不知道这个 你不应该有书
I didn’t know, you shouldn’t have.
我能见到我的家人吗?
May I see my family?
不行
No.
卫队长!
Captain!
枢密官?
Master Secretary?
囚犯谈起过关于国王的离婚国王的头衔
Have you ever heard the prisoner speak of the King’s divorce, supremacy…
或者他的婚姻吗? 没有 一个字也没有
…or the King’s marriage? No, not a word.
如果他谈起 你要复述给我
If he does, you will repeat it to me.
当然
Of course.
里奇
Rich.
大人?
Secretary?
明天早上把囚犯的书拿走
Tomorrow morning, remove the prisoner’s books.
这是必须的吗?
Is that necessary?
在这个案子上 国王已经没有耐心了
With regards to this case, the King is becoming impatient.
是的 对你没有耐心 是对我们所有的人
Aye, with you. With all of us.
国王的怒火可能会影响到一两个公爵
The King’s impatience will embrace a duke or two.
枢密官大人?
Master Secretary.
雷德弗斯·卢埃林爵士退休了
Sir Redvers Llewellyn has retired.
他是威尔士的首席检察长
The Attorney General for Wales.
他的职位空缺
His post is vacant.
你说我也许能升职的
You said that I might approach you.
现在不行 里奇
Not now, Rich.
他一定得交代
He must submit he must!
拷问他
Rack him.
不行 国王的良心不允许这么做
NoThe King’s conscience will not permit it.
我们得另找办法
We have to find some other way.
托马斯爵士
Sir Thomas!
父亲!
Father!
怎么了 玛格丽特?
What? Margaret?
父亲
Father!
梅格 看在上帝的分上 他们不是把你们也关起来了吧?
MegFor God’s sake, they haven’t put you in here?
不 先生 只是一个探监 简短的探监 托马斯先生
No, sir, a visit. A brief one, Sir Thomas.
父亲
Father.
早上好 丈夫 早上好
Good morning, husband. Good morning.
早上好 威尔
Good morning, Will.
这里可真糟糕!
Well, this is a hellish place!
除了让我见不到你们之外 也不算太差
Except it’s keeping me from you, my dears, it isn’t so bad.
就像别的地方一样
It’s remarkably like any other place.
还滴水呢 离河流太近了
It drips! Yes It’s too near the river.
怎么了?
Well, what is it?
父亲 出来吧 向法案宣誓 出来吧
Father, come out! Swear to the act and come out!
这就是为什么他们让你们来?
Is this why they’ve let you come?
是的
Yes.
梅格答应他们会说服你
Meg’s under oath to persuade you.
这太傻了 梅格
That was silly, Meg.
你怎么能这么做?
How do you plan to do that?
爸爸
Father.
上帝更看重的是人的心灵 而不是从口里说出来的话
“God more regards the thoughts of the heart than the words of the mouth.”
就像你总是跟我说的一样 对
Well, so you’ve always told me. Yes.
那就口上发这个誓言 心里想的不一样就行了啊
Then say the words of the oath and in your heart think otherwise.
那誓言还有什么意义? 它不是我们对上帝说的话吗?
What is an oath then, but words we say to God?
听着 梅格
Listen, Meg.
当一个人发誓言的时候 他就像把自己捧在手心
When a man takes an oath, he’s holding his own self in his own hands…
像捧着水一样
…like water.
如果他分开手指 他就再也无法找回他自己了
And if he opens his fingers then, he needn’t hope to find himself again.
有些人做不到这一点 我希望作为你的父亲 我能做到这一点
Some men aren’t capable of this, but I’d be loathed to think your father one of them.
我还有一个论据 哦 梅格
I have another argument. Oh, Meg.
在任何还有一半良知的国家 由于你所做的
In any state that was half good, you would be raised up high, not here…
你都会被擢升得很高 但这里却不行 对
…for what you’ve done already. All right.
所以这个国家坏的差不多了 这不是你的错啊
It’s not your fault the state’s three quarters bad.
不对
No.
如果你选择去承受这一切 你就选择了做一个英雄
If you elect to suffer for it, you elect to be a hero.
正是这样
That’s very neat.
但是看着 要么我们住在这么一个国家
But look now If we lived in a state where virtue was profitable…
美德是被称赞的 道德让我们圣洁