I understood I was not to be asked that again.
你理解错了 这些指控
Then you understood wronglyThese charges…
那些只能拿来吓小孩 枢密官大人 吓不倒我!
They are terrors for children, Master Secretary, not for me!
那我只好告诉你 国王命令我
Then know that the King commands me to charge you…
以他的名义指控你 因为你的忘恩负义
…in his name, with great ingratitude!
还要告诉你 从前没有今后也不会有
And to tell you that there never was, nor could be, so villainous a servant…
像你这样的恶毒和不忠的仆人在他面前
…nor so traitorous a subject, as yourself!
那么
So…
我最后就被带到这里来了
… I am brought here at last.
带来?
Brought?
你是自己把自己带来的
You’ve brought yourself to where you stand now.
你可以回家了
You may go.
就现在而言
For the present.
你会怎么做?
What will you do now?
尽一切手段
Whatever’s necessary.
船夫!
Boat!
哦 算了吧 从来没有这么糟糕
Oh, come, come, it’s not as bad as all that!
霍华德
Howard!
我回不了家
I can’t get home.
他们不给我开船
They won’t bring me a boat.
你责怪他们吗?
Do you blame them?
有那么糟糕吗?
Is it as bad as that?
绝对的
It’s every bit as bad as that!
那幸好我看到你了
Then it’s good of you to be seen with me.
我跟着你过来的
I followed you.
你被跟踪了吗?
Were you followed?
你真是个危险人物 那就不要认识我
You’re dangerous to know! Then don’t know me.
我怎么不认识你 我是说作为一个朋友
I do know you. I mean as a friend.
我是你的朋友 我希望我不是 但是我是 那我应该怎么办?
I am your friend I wish I wasn’t, but I am. What’s to be done then?
屈服 我不能屈服
Give in. I can’t give in, Howard.
这比我们之间的友谊更重要
Our friendship’s more mutable than that.
始终有一点就是托马斯·莫尔决不会屈服
The one fixed point in the world of turning friendship…
我一定要这样 因为这就是我
…is that Sir More won’t give in. To me it has to be, for that’s myself.
我对你的感情和你对我的一样深
Affection goes as deep in me as you, I think.
但只有上帝的爱是永恒不变的 霍华德 这就是我
But only God is love right through, Howard, and that’s my self.
你到底是谁?
And who are you?
一个律师 也是一个律师的儿子
A lawyer! And a lawyer’s son!
我们本应该是骄傲和自负的一群人 我们都曾经屈服过!
We’re supposed to be the proud ones, the arrogant ones, we’ve all given in.
为什么你一定要站出来?
Why must you stand out?
妈的 这太不公平
Goddammit man! It’s disproportionate!
你会让我伤心
You’ll break my heart.
没有人是安全的 霍华德 你有个儿子
No one is safe, Howard, and you have a son.
我们现在就应该结束我们的友谊
We’ll end our friendship now.
为了我们的友谊? 对
For friendship’s sake? Yes.
愚蠢
Daft!
诺福克 你是个傻瓜
Norfolk, you’re a fool!
你一点也不适合争吵 你不是那种人
You can’t place a quarrel, you haven’t the style.
听着 你和你的一帮人都屈服了 就像你所说的
Hear me outYou and your class have given in, as you rightly call it…
是因为这个国家的宗教对你来说毫无意义
…’cause this country’s religion means nothing to you at all.
用这个做开头太愚蠢了!
Well, that’s a foolish saying for a start!
英格兰的贵族
The nobility of England…
英格兰贵族在弥撒布道的时候鼾声如雷
The nobility of England would have snored through the Sermon on the Mount!
你却劳累的像查询猎犬家谱的学究
But you’ll labour like scholars over a bulldog’s pedigree.
故意的争吵一点也不像争吵
An artificial quarrel is not a quarrel.
我们从第一次见面就开始争吵
我们的友谊纯粹就是这个
We’ve had a quarrel since the day we met our friendship was mere sloth.
你可以说的尖酸一些 我是知道你的
You can be cruel when you want, but I’ve always known that.
你怎么判断你的猎犬的价值? 引人注意 不是吗?
What do you value in your bulldogs? Gripping, is it not?
对 这就是它们的习性吗?
Yes. It’s their nature?
对 这就是你养它们的原因?
Yes. It’s why you breed them?
人也是这样
It’s so with men.
我不屈服因为我反对这样
I will not give in, because I oppose it.
不是因为我的骄傲 也不是我的喜好 但是我就是这样
Not my pride, not my spleen, nor any other of my appetites, but I do, I.
在这里 在你的内心深处 难道没有一点点
Is there, in the midst of all this muscle, no sinew that serves no appetite…
诺福克家族的光荣仍然在闪耀吗?当然有!
…of Norfolk’s, but is just Norfolk? There is!
想想看你的血统吧 我的大人!托马斯!
Give that some exercise, my lord! Thomas!
还是因为你怕死而畏缩不前?
As you stand you’ll go before your Maker ill conditioned!
注意了
Now steady.
你的祖先也许会觉得在你的家谱中
但你根本不是他们的真正子孙
And he’ll think that, somewhere back along
your pedigree, a bitch got over the wall!
从去年四月三日开始在此
Cast in this very house on April 3, last year…
这是非常适合于下议院讨论的事务 聚集在
..it is a matter very fit for the Commons, gathered here…
国会加以处理
..in parliament, to take in hand.
或者 由于行会的堕落
Or, in consequence of the decay of guilds…
从约克郡出产的羊毛织物
…the woolen cloth, now coming out of Yorkshire, Lincoln…
还有从林肯郡及其它地方出产的都有严重的问题
…and the like, is not to blame and this…
我推迟我的发言一段时间
I will defer the rest of my matter to later.
我想下议院现在的法案讨论要推迟一段时间
That the loyal Commons, here assembled, will speedily enact this bill, I doubt not.
我们在这里要宣布国王的新头衔 还有他和安娜王后的婚姻
For as much as it concerns the King’s new title and his marriage to Queen Anne.
天佑我王 但愿如此
Both matters pleasing to a loyal subject.
与此同时 大人们
Mark, my Masters…
还有一桩关于叛国者的案子
…there is among us a brood of discreet traitors…
已经严重到了国王无法容忍♥的地步!
…to which deceit the King can brook no longer.
我们这些国王的忠实仆人们
必须把这些狡猾的狐狸从他们的老巢里赶出来
And we, his loyal huntsmen, must now drive these subtle foxes from their covert.
爸爸?
Father?
玛格丽特!
Margaret!
我找不到船
I couldn’t get a boat.
怎么了 梅格?
What is it, Meg?
国会正通过一个新法案
Father, there’s a new act going through parliament.
根据这个法案 他们会通过一项
And by this act, they’re going to administer an oath…
关于国王婚姻的誓言
…about the marriage.
违反誓言是什么罪名?
On what compulsion is the oath?
叛国 内容是什么?
High treason. But what is the wording?
内容已经无关紧要了 我们都知道那是什么意思
Do the words matter? We know what it means.
告诉我内容
Tell me the words.
誓言是语言组成的 还是有可能可以接受的
An oath is made of words It may be possible to take it.
接受?
Take it?
如果能接受的话 你也一定要接受
And if it can be taken, you must take it, too.
不!
No!
听着 上帝创造了天使来彰显他的荣耀
Listen, MegGod made the angels to show him splendour.
他还创造了纯良的动物和朴素的植物
As he made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity.
但是他创造的人类有着复杂的思维
But Man he made to serve him wittily, in the tangle of his mind.
如果他让我们经受这种没有退路的苦难
If he suffers us to come to such a case that there is no escaping…
我们就必须坚持不倒下
…then we may stand to our tackle as best we can.
这样我们在上帝面前才能大声说 我们有了他的荣光
And yes, Meg, then we can clamour like champions, if we have the spittle for it.
但给予我们这个机会 是上帝的工作 不是我们的
But it’s God’s part, not our own, to bring ourselves to such a pass.
我们的本性是逃避
Our natural business lies in escaping.
如果我能接受这个誓言 我会的
If I can take this oath, I will.
我仍然认为你可以接受这个誓言
I would, for my sake, you could take the oath.
我从来没有如此不情愿的带一个人进入伦敦塔
I never took a man into the Tower less willingly.
谢谢你 典狱长先生
Thank you, Master Governor.
谢谢你
Thank you.
托马斯爵士
Sir Thomas.
托马斯爵士
Sir Thomas.
托马斯爵士
Sir Thomas!
这太不公平了
This is iniquitous.
这次又是去哪里? 里士满宫
Where to this time? Richmond Palace.
坐下
Sit down.
这是关于托马斯·莫尔先生案件的第七次审理
This is the Seventh Commission to inquire into the case…
由陛下的枢密院主持
…of Sir Thomas More, appointed by His Majesty’s Council.
你有什么要说的吗?
Have you anything to say?
没有
No.
见过这份文件吗? 见过许多次了
Seen this document before? Many times.
这是继任法案
It is the Act of Succession.
这里有向它宣誓的人的名单
These are the names of those who have sworn to it.
我见过了 你会向它宣誓吗?
I have, as you say, seen it before. Will you swear to it?
不
No.
托马斯 我们得知道
Thomas, we must know…
我们必须要知道 你会认为安娜王后的子女
We must know plainly whether you recognise the offspring of Queen Anne…
是王冠的继承人吗?
…as heirs to the throne.
国王和国会都告诉我他们是