– He’d say, “Go ahead and dump that stuff out in the gully.” – Mm-hmm.
– 他总说 “把这些东西倒到外面河里去” – 嗯
Out there in the gully there, you know? Back there in the gully.
外面河里呀 你知道吗? 就后面那条河里
Dump the… back there in the gully right there.
倒在… 后面河里 就在这里
Washed down the belts with it and gear boxes and swished it around.
把带子 工具箱都洗洗 然后倒进桶里
And throw it out there in the gully. That’s what he said. “Dump it out there in the gully like Joey.””
再丢到河里 他就是这么说的”像Joey一样做”
– How about Tom Barbas? Did he? – Tommy?
– Tom Barbas做过吗? – Tommy?
No, not Tommy. No.
不 他不会
– No? Never did anything like that? – No, no.
– 从来没有做过这样的事吗? – 没有
He dumped his in a ditch.
他倒到一条沟里
Okay.
好的
Good morning, Mr. Barbas. Nice to see you again.
早安 Barbas先生 很高兴再次见到你
I understand that you’ve had a chance to think about things since your first deposition.
我想自从第一次取证后你应该又回想了当时的事情吧
He says that you said he should just pour it into the pit.
他说你只是告诉他 把废弃物倒到坑里
Is that how you remember it, now that your memory’s been refreshed?
你现在应该记起来了吧 是这样吗?
Vinnie said go out there and dig a trench, oh, 20, 30 feet long.
Vinnie说 到外面挖个 20到30英尺长的沟
And load the barrels onto the truck, drive it out there…
然后把废弃的桶装到卡车上 运到那里…
dump it into the swimming pool.
把它们倒到游泳池里
Tha… that’s what we called it… a swim… swimming pool.
我们就这么叫它… 游泳池
Right.
很好
Mr. Cheeseman, well done.
Cheeseman先生 干得好
The odds of a plaintiff’s lawyer winning in civil court…
在民事案件中 原告律师胜诉的几率…
are two to one against.
是一比二
Think about that for a second. Your odds of surviving a game of Russian roulette…
想象这个数字 玩俄♥罗♥斯♥轮盘赌的胜算率
are better than winning a case at trial.
都比在法庭上赢一个案子要高
Twelve times better.
高上十二倍
So why does anyone do it?
那为什么还有人上法♥院♥?
They don’t. They settle.
没有 他们一般都选择和解
Out of the 780,000 cases filed each year,
每年都有超过78万起案件起诉了
only 12,000, or one and a half percent,
只有一万两千件 或者说1.2%
ever reach a verdict.
最终拿到裁决
The whole idea of lawsuits is to settle…
整个诉讼的宗旨就是谋求和解…
to compel the other side to settle.
强迫对方来和解
And you do that by spending more money than you should,
要达到这个目的 你进行大量不必要的花费
which forces them to spend more money than they should…
逼得对方也支出大量不必要的花费
and whoever comes to their senses first…
谁先醒悟过来 恢复理智…
loses.
谁就输了
Trials are a corruption of the entire process,
开庭审案会导致整个过程的失败
and only fools with something to prove end up ensnared in them.
只有一些想证明什么的傻子 会进入这个圈套
Now when I say “prove”,
当我说”证明”
– I don’t mean about the case. – Look who’s here.
– 我不是指证明案子 – 看看那是谁
I mean about themselves.
我是指证明他们自己
Hey, old man, out of the way!
嘿 老头 让开!
– How’s business, by the way? – Business is good.
– 顺便问下 事务所怎么样? – 挺好的
Is it? That’s good. I was afraid,
是吗? 很好啊 我还怕
what, with all these scientists and doctors and what not,
这些 什么科学家啊 医生啊 搞得这些
a small boutique firm like yours might be in financial trouble.
可能会给你们这样的迷你事务所带来财务问题
I appreciate your concern, Jerry. We’ve got more than enough to go the distance.
Jerry 谢谢你的担心 我们有足够的钱来执行项目
Are you sure? I mean, I’d hate it if one day you realize you miscalculated the arithmetic…
你确定? 我是指 如果有天你发现算错了 你还在…
and there you were digging quarters out of the seats of your shiny black sports car.
拿出全部家当投入进来 我会替你遗憾
– You really don’t have to worry, Jerry. – Well, that’s a relief.
– 你真的不用担心 Jerry – 好吧 那就好
Yeah.
是的
You know what? You don’t want me in this case.
你知道吗? 你会不想要我参加这个案子的
You’ve got Grace, and one deep pocket is enough.
你抓住了Grace这个大款 一个就够了
I’m only gonna hurt you, so get rid of me.
我只会伤害你 想办法摆脱我吧
Tell me what you’ve got in so far, I’ll have a check cut, we can get on with our lives.
告诉我你现在投入了多少 我可以开张支票 然后我们互不相干
What do you say?
你说怎样?
My expenses.
我的花费
You… you’re offering to cover my expenses.
你要替我出我的花费
Your expenses and your pride.
你的花费和你的荣誉
You think you’re gonna put those families on the stand.
你以为你可以让那些家庭出庭作证
Your mothers and your fathers are gonna tell their stories…
让那些父母出来讲述他们的故事…
and the jury’s gonna pull out their handkerchiefs and dab their eyes?
把陪审团感动到 拿出手帕来擦眼泪?
Do you really think I’d let that happen?
你觉得我会让它发生吗?
I don’t see how you can prevent it.
我看不出你有什么办法阻止我
Of course you don’t.
当然你看不出来
– Yeah? – Jan, guess what?
– 喂? – Jan 你猜怎么着?
Cheeseman called. He wants to talk.
Cheeseman打电♥话♥来了 他想要谈谈
He wants a number. He wants out. I’ll get everything together.
他在问我们想要多少赔偿 他不想玩下去了 我把所有的东西整理好
– I’ll meet you back here at the office. – Okay.
– 待会儿办公室见 – 好的
Jan, this is it. We got him.
Jan 做到了 搞定他了
That’s great.
很好呀
– Get out of here! – Oh, my baby!
– 快醒醒! – 我的孩子呀!
No!
不!
No!
不!
No!
不!
He said he’d be here.
他说他会来的
Are the Red Sox in town?
是红袜队在镇上吗?
Sorry I’m late. I got tied up.
对不起来晚了 有事耽搁了
Yeah. Oh.
好吧
I was just given a chair at Harvard, of, of all things.
我刚在哈佛大学 收到一把椅子 太棒了
Oh, you’re kidding. Which chair?
噢 你开玩笑吧 什么椅子?
Oh, well, it’s, it’s black…
是的 是把黑色的椅子…
with arms, with my name on a brass plate on the back.
有扶手 后面黄铜板上还刻着我的名字
– From my students. – Jerry.
– 我的学生送的 – Jerry
Ever thought about getting yourself a new briefcase?
有没有想过给你自己买♥♥个新的公文包?
No, no. You don’t change your socks in the middle of the World Series, Jan.
不 就像球员也不会在世界职业棒球大赛中间换袜子吧 Jan
A… am I sitting in the right place?
我… 坐对位置了吗?
Well, actually, we have a seat for you here, but that’s, that’s fine.
其实我们在这儿给你留了个位置 但是没关系
Okay.
好的
This is a nice pen.
真是支漂亮的笔
They’re a courtesy of the hotel.
承蒙酒店的服务
Really? This is a good quality pen.
是吗? 质量不错
Oh, yeah.
是啊
– So… – So, Bill.
– 那么… – 那么 Bill
How much did Grace make last year?
Grace去年赚了多少钱?
I have no idea.
我不知道
– But I have a feeling that you do. – $198 million.
– 但是我觉得你知道 – 1亿9800万美金
– And Beatrice, Jerry? – Hmm. What?
– Beatrice呢 Jerry? – 什么?
$436 million.
4亿3600万美金
Together, that’s $634 million.
加在一起的话就是6亿3400万
That’s one year. That’s net.
这就是一年的 净收入
So that’s what they made.
这是他们赚的
Now what should they be made to pay…
现在算算他们要付多少钱…
to compensate the families,
赔偿给那些家庭
to provide for their economic security in the future?
为他们的未来提供经济保障?
Don’t forget to mention you…
别忘了包括你
compensating you.
还得给你补偿
And to make sure that this kind of thing doesn’t happen again.
以及确保这类事情不会再发生
$25 million, cash.
2500万 现金
And another $25 million to establish a research foundation…
以及用另外的2500万 建立研究基金…
to study the links between hazardous waste and illness.
用来研究有害废弃物和疾病的关联
And $1.5 million per family annually for 30 years.
以后今后30年内每个家庭每年150万
$320 million.
一共3亿2千万
Uh…
呃…
Can I ask a question?
我能问个问题吗?
Well, I’m sure everyone has questions. What’s yours, Jerry?
我猜每个人都有问题想问 你想问什么 Jerry?
Can I have this?
我能拿走这支笔吗?
Thank you.
谢谢
Excuse me.
对不起
– Jan? – Yes, Gordon.
– Jan? – 什么事 Gordon
What’s the story?
为什么?
– Well, I guess they just don’t want to end this thing. – They don’t want…
– 嗯 因为我猜他们根本不想就此罢休 – 他们不想…
You said this would never go to trial.
你说过这案子不会闹到要开庭
You just made certain that it will.
你这不是铁定要开庭了吗
Without consulting us, I might add.
而且还没有事先问过我们的意思
They patronize us.
他们轻视我们
They think we’re blackmailers.
还当我们是来敲诈的
They think they can buy us.
他们以为可以收买♥♥我们
Yeah?
那又怎样?
We can’t afford a long, drawn out trial.
我们可付不起这种拉锯战式的庭审啊

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!