That blasted, stupid furnace.
烦人的蠢货炉子
Dadgummit!
去他爸爸的!
Damn skates!
该死的冰鞋!
For Christ’s sake, open up the damper, will you?
看在上帝份上,把气门打开吧,好不好?
Who the hell turned it all the way down again?
是谁又妈的把它全关死了?
Blasted!
真讨厌!
In the heat of battle, my father wove a tapestry of obscenity…
在热火朝天的战斗的当儿,我父亲不觉编织起了一条渎神的挂毯
that as far as we know is still hanging in space over Lake Michigan.
据我所知至今还挂在密歇根湖上空呢
Preparing to go to school was like getting ready…
准备上学的行装
for extended deep-sea diving.
就好比要去做长时间深海潜水一般
Come on, Mom, we’re going to be late!
快点啦,妈妈,我们要迟到了!
Just wait, Ralph!
等着,拉尔菲!
My kid brother looked like a tick about to pop.
我弟弟看起来就象一个快要塞爆了的褥套
What?
什么事?
What is it?
怎么了?
What is it?
怎么了?
What is it?
怎么了?
I can’t put my arms down!
我的胳膊放不下来了!
Well, put your arms down when you get to school.
好了,到了学校你就能把胳膊放下来了
Hey, Flick! Wait up.
嘿,佛理克! 等等我
Wait up!
等等我!
So what are you doing?
你这是干吗去啊?
What does it look like I’m doing? Picking goobers?
你看我象是干吗去的?捡花生吗?
Hey, listen, smart ass. I asked my old man about sticking…
嘿,听着,聪明蛋,我问过我老爸了
your tongue to metal light poles in winter…
就是大冬天舌头会不会粘在金属灯柱上的事
and he says it will freeze right to the pole just like I told you.
他说马上就会冻到灯柱上去的,就跟我说过的一样
Baloney.
胡扯
What would your old man know about anything?
你老爸知道个屁
He knows because he once saw a guy stick his tongue…
他当然知道,他有回看过一个家伙为了打赌
to a railroad track on a bet and the fire department had to come…
把舌头粘在铁轨上了,最后救火队都出动了
to get the guy’s tongue off the track because he couldn’t get it off.
才把那家伙的舌头从铁轨上弄下来,他自己根本没辙
Come on, guys, wait up!
喂,等等我呀!
Come on, guys!
喂!
Come on, guys, wait up!
喂,等等我!
I can’t get up!
我起不来了!
I can’t get up!
我起不来了!
Help!
救命!
I can’t get out! Help me!
我动不了地方了! 帮帮我!
Come on, Flick, wait up for me.
喂,佛理克,等等我
I can’t get up!
我起不来了!
Come on.
快来
Get up. Sit up. Come on.
起来,坐起来,快来
You’re okay. Come on, let’s go.
你没事,快点,我们走吧
Come on, you’re all right!
来吧,你什么事都没有!
Miss Shields!
希尔兹小姐来了!
All right, everyone…
好了
take your seats, please.
大家都回座位上去
Good morning, class.
早上好,同学们
Good morning, Miss Shields.
早上好,希尔兹小姐
Open your books to Page 32.
打开书本翻到32页
And as you’ll remember, Silas Marner…
你们应该还记得的,《织工马南传》…
You’re full of beans and so’s your old man.
你大错特错,你老爸也是
Says who?
谁说的?
Says me.
我说的
Well, I double-dare you.
好,我赌你根本不敢
The exact exchange and nuance…
在这种场合措辞的转换及其精微的差别
of phrase in this ritual is very important.
是至关重要的
Are you kidding? Stick my tongue to that stupid pole?
你开玩笑吗?让我用舌头舔这根旗杆?
That’s dumb.
这太傻了
That’s ’cause you know it will stick!
那就是说你也知道舌头会粘上去的!
You’re full of it.
你大错特错了
Well, I double dog-dare you!
那好,我赌你根本他妈的不敢!
Now it was serious. A double dog-dare.
现在问题严重了,根本他妈的不敢
What else was left but a “triple-dare you”?
除了“赌你根本绝对不敢”之外,还有什么比这更厉害的呢?
And finally, the coup de grace of all dares…
最后,所有赌博里面最致命的一击
the sinister triple dog-dare!
就是赌你根本绝对他妈的不敢!
I triple dog-dare you!
我赌你根本绝对他妈的不敢!
Schwartz created a slight breach of etiquette…
舒瓦兹打破了常规礼节
by skipping the triple-dare and going right for the throat.
他跳过了根本绝对不敢,直奔最后杀招
All right, all right.
好吧,好吧
Go on, smart ass, and do it!
快来啊,聪明蛋,快做吧!
I’m going!
我这不是来了吗!
Flick’s spine stiffened, his lips curled in a defiant sneer.
佛理克挺直了背脊,嘴唇咧出了个目空一切的冷笑
There was no going back now.
现在已经无路可退了
This is nothing.
这算什么啊
Stuck? Stuck!
粘住了?粘住了!
Stuck! Stuck!
粘住了! 粘住了!
Jeez!
天哪!
It really works!
这是真的!
Look at him!
瞧他啊!
Ralphie, come back!
拉尔菲,快回来!
Come back! Don’t leave me! Come back!
回来! 别把我扔下! 回来!
But the bell rang!
可上课铃响了!
What are we going to do?
我们该怎么办啊?
I don’t know! The bell rang!
我不知道! 上课铃响了!
Where’s Flick?
佛理克呢?
Has anyone seen Flick?
有人见到佛理克了吗?
Flick? Flick who?
佛理克? 哪位佛理克啊?
He was at recess, wasn’t he?
他刚才下课的时候还在的,对吧?
Ralphie, do you know where Flick is?
拉尔菲,你知道佛理克在哪儿吗?
I said has anyone seen Flick?
我说了有人见到佛理克了吗?
Yes, Esther Jane?
你说,埃丝特·简
Oh, my God!
哦,我的天!
Holy cow, it’s the fire department!
哇靠,救火队来了!
Wow, it’s the cops!
哇,警♥察♥也来了!
Now, I know that some of you put Flick up to this.
听着,我知道是你们当中谁怂恿佛理克去做的
But, he has refused to say who.
可是他不愿说是谁
But those who did it know their blame.
但是谁干的他会受良心谴责的
And I’m sure the guilt you feel…
而且我相信你所受的负罪感
is far worse than any punishment you might receive.
比你可能会受到的任何责罚都要糟糕得多
Now, don’t you feel terrible?
听着,你们没感到过意不去吗?
Don’t you feel remorse for what you have done?
你们不为做过的事后悔吗?
That’s all I’m going to say about poor Flick.
关于可怜的佛理克的事我就想说这么多了
Adults love to say things like that. But kids know better.
大人们就爱这么说,可孩子们要聪明得多
We knew darn well it was always better not to get caught.
我们清楚得不能再清楚了,不被抓住永远是件好事
Now, boys and girls, I’m going to give you an assignment.
听着,孩子们,我要给你们布置一项作业
I want you to write…
我要你们写
a theme.
一篇作文
“What I want for Christmas.”
题目是“我想要的圣诞礼物”
The clouds lifted.
拨云见日了
And I want it handed in tomorrow morning…
明天早上就要交…
I saw a faint gleam of light at the other end of…
在厄运之黑洞的尽头
the black cave of doom.
我看到了一线微弱的曙光
I knew that when Miss Shields read my magnificent, eloquent theme…
我知道当希尔兹小姐读到我真切动人的作文
that she would sympathize with my plight…
她会被我身处的困境所打动
and everything would work out, somehow.
而一切都会天遂人意的,以某种方式
Boy, did you see how it stuck?
乖乖,你们看到它是怎么粘上去的吗?
Did it hurt, Flick?
疼不疼啊,佛理克?
No. I never felt a thing.
不疼,我一点感觉都没有
It just caught me off-guard.
我是一时走神才着了道的
You sure were bawling.
你明明大叫来着
I never bawled!
我才没大叫呢!
Baloney.
胡扯
Scut Farkus!
斯卡特·法克斯!
Scut Farkus! What a rotten name. We were trapped.
斯卡特·法克斯! 多可恶的名字,我们落入陷阱了
There he stood, between us and the alley.
他就站在那儿,挡住了我们的去路
Scut Farkus, staring out at us with his yellow eyes.
斯卡特·法克斯,用他的黄眼珠盯着我们看呢
He had yellow eyes! So help me God, yellow eyes.
他有双黄眼珠! 救救我吧,上帝,黄眼珠
Grover Dill, Farkus’ crummy little toady.
格拉瓦·迪尔,法克斯的邋遢小走狗
Mean. Rotten.
又坏又可恶