要他退回幕后很难
It would be so hard for him to recede into the background.
不 等一下 – 一旦有机会…
No, wait a minute. – Whenever get a chance…
你是告诉我们 他说谎只是为了重要一回?
Are you tellin’ us he’d lie just so he could be important once?
不 他是真的说谎
No. He wouldn’t really lie.
但他也许让自己相信他真的听到那些话
But perhaps he made himself believe he heard those words
还认出了那男孩的脸
and recognised the boy’s face.
这是有史以来我听过最玄妙的事情了
That’s the most fantastic story I ever heard.
你怎么编得出这种事?
How can you make up a thing like that?
这种事你懂个啥?
What do you know about it?
噢 谁想吃喉糖? – 不了 谢谢
Oh, does anybody want a cough drop? -No, thanks.
我要一颗
I’ll take one.
你喜欢说什么就说
You say what you like.
我还是看不出怎么会有人认为他无罪
I still don’t see how anybody can think he’s not guilty.
还有一件事我想讨论一下
There’s something else I’d like to talk about for a minute.
很好
Nice.
我想我们证明了那老人
We’ve proved the old man
听不到那孩子说“我要杀了你”
couldn’t have heard the boy say “I’m gonna kill you.”
但 假设… – 你根本没有证明 你说什么呢
but, suppose… -You didn’t prove it at all! What’re you talking about?
等等 假设他真的听到了
Wait. Supposing he really did hear it?
这句话 我们大家说过多少次了?
This phrase, how many times have all of us used it?
也许好几千次
Probably thousands.
“为这事我要杀了你 亲爱的”
“I could kill you for that, darling.”
“少年 再干一次 我就杀了你 ”
“Junior, you do that once morn and I’ll kill you.”
“进去 洛基…”
“Get in there, Rocky…”
我们天天说 不代表我们真的要杀谁
We say it everyday. It doesn’t mean we’re really gonna kill anybody.
你想跟我们说什么?
What’re you trying to give us here?
这句“我要杀了你” 那孩子用最高嗓子喊出来的
The phrase was ‘I’m gonna kill you’. The kid yelled it at the top of his lungs.
别告诉我他不是这个意思
Don’t tell me he didn’t mean it.
任何人像他那样说这句话 都是认真的!
Anybody says a thing like the way he says, they mean it!
天啊 我可不知道了
Gee, now I don’t know.
我记得几个星期前我和银行的一个工作伙伴争吵
I remember I was arguing with the guy I work next to at the bank a few weeks ago.
他骂我是白♥痴♥ 于是我对他大喊
He called me an idiot, so I yelled at him.
听着 这家伙要你们相信不实之事!
Oh listen, this guy is trying to make you believe what isn’t so!
那孩子说要杀了他 而且真的杀了他!
The kid said he’d kill him and he did kill he!
我来问你
Let me ask you this.
你真的认为那孩子喊出这种事…
Do you really think the boy’d shout out a thing like that
让所有邻居都听见吗?
so the whole neighbourhood could hear?
我不这么看 他可聪明得多
I don’t think so. He’s much too bright for that.
聪明?他只是个普通的愚昧粗人
Bright? He’s a common, ignorant slob.
他甚至连英语都不说好
He don’t even speak good English.
他甚至连英语都 说不好
He doesn’t even speak good English.
主席先生
Mr.Foreman,
我要改投无罪票
I’d like to change my vote to not guilty.
你什么? – 你听到了
You what? – You heard me.
你确定?
Are you sure?
对 我确定
Yeah, I’m sure.
票数九比三有罪
The vote is nine to three in favour of guilty.
好么 可这还不是最后的结论 嗯?
Well, if this isn’t the livin’ end! huh?
你有什么依据?
What are you basin’ it on?
这家伙编的故事?
Stories this guy made up?
你该给那些怪异的侦探杂♥志♥写稿
You oughta write for one of those kooky detective magazines,
赚大钱
just make a fortune.
说到那声大喊 那孩子自己的律师都知道他没有机会
For cryin’ out loud, the kid’s own lawyer knew he didn’t stand a chance.
从一开始 他的律师就知道 你能看得出来
Right from the beginning, his own lawyer knew, and you could see it.
伙计 伙计 我告诉你
Boy, oh boy, I’m telling ya.
这里这家伙 他真行
This guy here is really somethin’.
那孩子有个律师 对吧?
The kid had a lawyer, didn’t he?
他代表他出庭 不是你
He presented his case, not you.
怎么你要说这么多?
How come you say so much?
律师不是一贯正确 你知道的
Lawyers aren’t infallible, you know.
巴尔的摩迷 拜托
Baltimore please.
他是法庭指派的
He was court-appointed.
那有什么意义?
What’s that supposed to mean?
可能意味着很多事情
Well it can mean a lot of things.
可能意味着他不想要这案子
It can mean that he didn’t want the case
或者他不爽被指派
or he resented being appointed.
这类案子对他没好处
It’s the kind of case brings him nothing
没钱 没名声 甚至没什么机会赢
no money, no glory, not even much chance of winning.
对年轻律师来说 那不是很有前途的形势
That’s not a very promising situation for a young lawyer.
他必须真的信任他的当事人 才能打好案子
He’d really have to believe in his client to put up any kind of a good case.
一分钟前你已经指出 他显然没有
You pointed out a minute ago, obviously he didn’t.
他当然没有
Of course he didn’t.
谁能做到呢?
Who the heck could?
或许某人的妈妈或什么人
Except maybe some guy’s mother or somebody.
看看 你们不看看时间么?得了
Oh, look. Will you look at the time? Come on.
对不起 我做了一些笔记 – 笔记?
Pardon me. I have made some notes here… – Notes.
我有一些话 想要告诉你们
and I would like, please, to say something.
我一直非常仔细地在听
I have been listening very carefully and…
对我来说 这人似乎提出了一些很好的观点
it seems to me that this man has some very good points to make.
从审讯中呈现的东西看
From what was presented at the trial,
这孩子看起来有罪 表面上 但是…
the boy looks guilty, on the surface. But…
也许我们深入去… – 少来了
maybe if we go deeper… – Come on, will ya?
有个问题 我想问问
There is a question I would like to ask.
让我们假设那孩子真的实施了谋杀
Let us assume that the boy really did commit the murder.
案发的时间是12点10分
Now, this happened at 10 minutes after 12.
他是怎么被警方逮捕的呢?
Now, how was he caught by the police?
他回家了 在…三点左右
He came back home… at three o’clock or so
他被两名警官逮捕 在他房♥子的走廊里
and he was captured by two detectives in the hallway of his house.
现在 我的问题是
Now, my question is:
如果他真的杀了他的父亲…
If he really had killed his father
为什么他要在三个小时后回家?
why would he come back home three hours later?
难道他不怕会被逮到吗?
Wouldn’t he be afraid of being caught?
他回家拿刀
He came home to get his knife.
刀留在别人胸口上不好
It’s not nice to leave knives in people’s chests.
对 特别是亲戚的
Yeah, especially relatives’.
我觉得这没什么好笑的
I don’t see anything funny about it.
那男孩知道会有人指认出 那是他刚买♥♥的刀
The boy knew the knife could be identified is the one he just bought.
他得赶在警♥察♥前面拿走它
He had to get it before the police did.
但如果他知道刀会被认出来
If he knew the knife could be identified,
他为什么一开始要把它留在现场?
why did he leave it there in the first place?
我想我们可以假设 那男孩在慌张中跑了出去
Well, I think we can assume the boy ran out in a state of panic,
他刚刚杀了自己的父亲
after having just killed his father.
他最后冷静下来
He finally calmed down
意识到他把刀留在那儿了
and realised he’d left his knife there.
这个 就得看你对慌张的定义了
This, then, depends on your definition of panic.
他必须非常地冷静
He would have had to be calm enough
才会把刀上的所有指纹擦掉
to wipe off any fingerprints left on the knife.
慌张是什么时候开始的?
Now, where did this panic start
又是什么时候结束的?
and where did it end?
你投了有罪一票 你是哪一边的?
You voted guilty. What side are you on?
我相信 我不必效忠于一边或另一边
I don’t believe I have to be loyal to one side or the other.
我仅仅是提出问题
I’m simply asking questions.
这真的已经超出了我的理解范围 但是
This is just off the top of my head but…
如果我是那男孩 我刺杀了人
If I was the boy, I’d done the stabbing,
我会冒险回去拿刀
I’d take a chance and go back for the knife.
我打赌 他琢磨没有人看到他跑出去
I’ll bet he figured nobody’d seen him running out
尸体要到隔天才会被发现
and the body wouldn’t be discovered till the next day.
说到底 那时是半夜
After all, it was the middle of the night.
我打赌他琢磨第二天才会被发现
I bet he figured it’d be found the next day.
对不起 那就是我的重点
Pardon. This is my whole point.
对街那女人作证说
The woman across the street testified that
她看见凶杀之后的时刻
the moment after she saw the killing
也就是在电车经过之后的时刻
that is a moment after the train went by
她大叫 然后去打电♥话♥报♥警♥
she screamed, and then went to telephone the police.
那孩子当然一定听到了尖叫声
Now, the boy certainly must have heard the scream.
所以他知道有人看到了什么
So he knew that somebody saw something.
我就是觉得他不会回去
I just don’t think that he would have gone back.
两件事
Two things.
一:在慌乱中 他也许没听到尖叫声
One: in the state of panic he may not have heard the scream.
可能声音不是很大
Perhaps it wasn’t very loud.