作父亲的似乎也不觉得这很重要了
Fathers don’t seem to think it’s important any more.
你有孩子吗? – 三个
You got any kids? – Three.
我有一个
I got one.
二十二岁
22 years old.
他九岁时 打架逃跑
When he was nine years old, he ran away from a fight.
我看到了 觉得太丢脸
I saw it. I was so embarrassed,
我差点吐出来
I almost threw up.
我说“我要把你变成一个男子汉
I said “I’m gonna make a man out of you
就算我得把你劈成两半”
if I have to break you in two tryin’.”
好么 我把他打造成个男子汉
Well, I made a man out of him.
他十六岁时 我们打了一架
When he was 16, we had a fight.
打了我的下巴 他是个高大的孩子
Hit me in the jaw. He was a big kid.
我两年没有见到他了
I haven’t seen him for two years.
孩子
Kids.
你呕心沥血…
You work your heart out…
好了 我们继续吧
Well, let’s get goin’.
我想我们忘了重点
I think we’re missing the point.
这个男孩 这么说吧 是破碎家庭的产物
This boy, let’s say he’s the product of a broken home
来自污秽的社区 这我们爱莫能助
and a filthy neighbourhood. We can’t help that.
我们来这里决定他有没有罪
We’re here to decide his innocence or guilt,
不是要探究他为何长成这样
not to go into the reasons why he grew up the way he did.
他出生于贫民窟
He was born in a slum.
贫民窟是犯罪的温床 我知道 你们也知道
Slums are breeding grounds for criminals. I know it and so do you.
那不是秘密 来自贫民窟的孩子对社会是潜在的威胁
It’s no secret that children from slums are potential menaces to society.
我想… – 兄弟 这话你可以再说一次
Now I think… – You can say that again.
从那些地方爬出来的孩子真是垃圾
The kids who crawl out of these places are real trash.
我不想跟他们沾边 告诉你们…
I don’t want any part of them, I’m telling you…
听着 我一生都住在贫民窟里
Listen, I…I’ve lived in a slum all my life.
等一下 – 拜托 我…
Wait a minute. – Please. I…
我曾在堆满垃圾的脏后院里玩耍 我是说…
I’ve played in back yards that were filled with garbage. I mean…
也许你还可以在我身上闻到那股味
Maybe you can still smell it on me.
听着 小伙子…
Now listen, sonny…
得了 这不是私人恩怨 – 可这是…
Come on, now. There’s nothing personal. – But there was…
好了 伙计 他说的不是你 咱们别那么敏感
Come on, fella. He didn’t mean you. Let’s not be so sensitive.
这种感觉我能理解
This sensitivity I can understand.
好了 咱们别吵了
OK, look. Let’s stop the arguing.
我们只是在浪费时间
We’re only wasting time.
轮到你那边了 我们继续
Look, your turn down there. Let’s go.
我没想到轮到我
I didn’t expect a turn.
我以为你们都要来说服我
I thought you were all gonna to try to convince me.
不是这个办法吗?
Wasn’t that the idea?
对 是这个办法 – 我忘了这事了 他是对的
Check, that was the idea. – I forget about that. He’s right.
有什么区别?是他把我们留在这里
What difference does it make? He’s the one keeping us in here.
让我们听听他要说什么
Let’s hear what he’s got to say.
不 等等 我们已经决定按一定的办法来
Oh, no, wait a minute, wait. We decided to do this a certain way.
我觉得我们应该遵循下去
I think we ought to stick to it.
哦 别孩子气了 行吗?
Oh, stop being a kid, will ya?
你是什么意思?孩子气
What do you mean, a kid?
你觉得我什么意思?孩-子-气
What do you think I mean? K-I-D: Kid.
听着 就因为我尽量保持这事有秩序…
Listen, just because I’m trying to keep this organised
来 你来接 你接下这个责任
Here, you take it. You take this on the responsibility.
我可以闭嘴 就这样
I’ll just keep my mouth shut. That’s all.
你为什么这么上火?冷静点 行吗?
Why are you gettin’ so hot? Calm down, will you?
别叫我冷静
Don’t tell me to calm down.
嘿 你想当主席?来当主席吧 就这样
Hey, you want to take the chair? Take the chair. Just take the chair, that’s all.
你们看过这种事吗?
Did you ever see such a thing?
听着 你觉得很有趣吗?
Listen, you think it’s funny?
算了吧 伙计 这事情不重要 来吧
Forget it, fella. The whole thing is unimportant. Come on.
不重要?来 你来试试
Unimportant? Here, you try it.
不 没人想改变
No, nobody wants to change.
你做的非常好 请坐
You’re doing a beautiful job. Sit down.
对 你做得很好 很好 伙计
Yeah, you’re doin’ great. Just great, fella.
你坐在那 你发球
You stay in there and pitch.
好吧 我们来听听别人的说法
All right, let’s hear from somebody.
如果你们要我说出我的感觉
Well, if you want me to tell you how I feel about it,
我没什么问题
it’s all right with me.
伙计 我不在乎你做什么
Boy, I don’t care what you do.
好吧 我没有什么高明之处
All right. I don’t have anything brilliant.
我知道的跟你们一样多
I only know as much as you do.
根据证词 那男孩看来是有罪的
According to the testimony, the boy looks guilty.
或许他是
Maybe he is.
六天来我坐在法庭上
I sat there in court for six days
听着证据构建起来
listening while the evidence built up.
每个人都说得如此肯定
Everybody sounded so positive.
我开始对这次审判有了特别的感觉
You know, I began to get a peculiar feeling about this trial.
我的意思是 没有什么事情能那么肯定
I mean, nothing is that positive.
有一些问题我想要提出来
There are questions I’d have liked to ask.
我不知道 或许它们毫无意义 但是…
I don’t know, maybe they wouldn’t mean anything but…
我开始感觉辩方并没有执行足够彻底的交叉讯问
I felt that the defence wasn’t conducting a thorough enough cross-examination.
他放过了太多的小细节
He let too many things go by-little things.
什么小细节?
What little things?
听着 这些家伙不提出问题
Listen, when these fellos don’t ask questions,
是因为他们已经盘算出答案不利
it’s because they know the answers already they figured out be hurt.
也许可能是因为那律师…
Maybe it’s also possible for a lawyer
不过是个笨蛋 对吧?
to be just plain stupid, isn’t it?
我是说 那是有可能的
I mean, it’s possible.
听起来你曾见过我的小舅子
You sound like you met my brother-in-law once.
我一直把自己放在那孩子的位置
I kept putting myself in the kid’s place.
我会要求换一个律师 我觉得
I’d have asked for another lawyer, I think.
我是说 如果这场审判关乎我的生命
I mean, if I was on trial for my life
我会想要我的律师粉碎公诉人的证人证据
I’d want my lawyer to tear the prosecution witnesses to shreds,
至少他该尽力
or at least try to.
瞧 这件凶案有一个所谓的目击证人
Look, there was one alleged eyewitness to this killing.
另外一个人声称听到凶案
Someone else claims he heard the killing,
看到那男孩后来跑出去
saw the boy run out afterwards…
还有很多间接证据
and there was circumstantial evidence.
但实际上那两个证人就是公诉人的全部依据
But actually those two witnesses were the entire case for the prosecution.
假设他们都错了呢?
Supposing they’re wrong?
你是什么意思 假设他们错了?
What do you mean, supposing they’re wrong?
要证人的意义何在?
What’s the point of having witnesses at all?
他们会不会犯错?
Could they be wrong?
你想说什么?那些人都发过誓
What’re you trying to say? Those people were under oath.
他们只是人 人难免会犯错
They’re only people. People make mistakes.
他们会不会犯错?
Could they be wrong?
不 我不那么认为 – 你了解吗?
Well, no. I don’t think so. – Do you know so?
得了 没有人可以了解那种事
Oh, come on. Nobody can know a thing like that.
这不是精密科学
This isn’t an exact science.
没错 它不是
That’s right, it isn’t.
好了 我们来谈要点
OK, let’s get to the point.
那把折叠刀怎么回事?他们发现插在老子的胸口
What about the switch knife they found in the old man’s chest?
等等 有人还没有发言
Some people haven’t talked yet.
我们不该照顺序来吗?
Shouldn’t we go in order?
他们会有机会说话 安静一会儿好吗
They’ll get a chance to talk. Be quiet a second, will ya?
那把刀怎么样呢?这个正直的好男孩
What about the knife this fine, upright boy
承认是在凶杀当晚买♥♥的
admitted buying the night of the killing?
我们来谈谈它
Let’s talk about it.
好 我们谈谈它 我们把它拿进来看看
All right. Let’s get it in here and look at it.
我想再看看它 主席先生
I’d like to see it again. Mr.Foreman?
我们都看过它的样子 为什么还要再看?
We all saw what it looks like. Why do we have to see it again?
这位先生有权利要求审视证物
The gentleman has a right to see exhibits in evidence.
我说 你能把那把刀拿来吗? – 那把刀?好
Say, could you bring us the knife? – The knife? Yeah.
那把刀以及它是如何被购买♥♥的 是相当有力的证据
The knife and the way it was bought is pretty strong evidence,
你不觉得吗?
don’t you think?
我觉得是 – 很好
I do. – Good.
假如我们一样样来检视事实
Now suppose we take the facts one at a time.
一:那男孩承认谋杀那晚在八点钟离开家
One: The boy admitted leaving the house at eight o’clock at night
在被他父亲打了几下耳光后
after being slapped several times by his father.
不不 他没说“被打耳光”
No, he didn’t say “slapped”.
他说他“拳打”耳光和拳打是不一样的
He said “punched”. There’s a difference between slap and punch.
在被他父亲打了几下后
After being hit several times by his father.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!