I didn’t want to be too far from my grandbabies.
斯通法官和我的父亲是旧交
Judge Stone was my father’s friend.
你怎么不早说?
You don’t say?
坐吧 – 谢谢
Have a seat. – Thank you.
稍等 麦克莱蒂小姐
Later, Miss McClatchey.
奥斯卡说 你需要人给你的家人开车
Oscar said you needed somebody to drive for your family.
需要送你的孩子们上学
Will I be taking your children to school…
或是你的太太去参加宴会吗?
and your wife to the beauty parlor?
我现在还没孩子 我要你
I don’t have any children. What I need…
你现在还很年轻 别太担心这个
You’re still a young man. Don’t worry too much.
谢谢你 我不会的
Thank you. I won’t.
霍克 我需要有个人开车 带我妈妈去兜兜风
Hoke, I need somebody to drive my mother around.
你妈妈?
Your mother?
这样啊 如果你不介意我多嘴的话
Yes. Well, if you don’t mind asking, sir…
为什么她不自己去雇人呢?
why ain’t she hiring for herself?
这个问题很难解释
It’s a difficult situation.
她快要走不动了 是吧?
She done gone around the bend a little.
人老了都会这样的
That will happen as they get on.
不 她还健在
No, she’s all there!
就因为这个的原因
Too much there is the problem!
我想让你明白那么几点
I want you to understand something.
我母亲有一点精神紧张
My mother is a little high-strung.
现在情况是 你是我雇来的
The fact is, you would be working for me.
她说什么都行
She can say anything she likes…
就是决不能解雇你 明白了吗?
but she can’t fire you. Understand?
是的
Yes, sir.
我明白了
Yes, sir, I sure do.
别担心 威尔顿先生
Don’t worry, Mr. Werthan.
不管她怎么为难我 我都会坚持下去的
I’ll hold on no matter which way she run me.
我小的时候就在梅肯州的农场长大
When I was a little boy back on the farm above Macon, where I come from…
在杀猪的时候 我能一手把猪摔在地上
I wrestled hogs to the ground during killing time.
并且还从未失手过
Well, sir, there ain’t a hog that’s got away from me yet!
还好吗 埃迪拉?
How are you, Idella?
还活着
Living.
那个新的吸尘器哪儿去了?- 在壁橱里
Where’s the new vacuum cleaner? – In the closet.
她怎么也不肯用
She won’t touch it.
每回我靠近它时 它都会电我一下
It gives me a shock every time I’m near it.
它是为我工作的
It works for me.
好
Good!
那你来做清洁 我来打理你的公♥司♥好了
Then you clean and I’ll go down and run your office.
妈妈在哪儿?
Where’s Mama?
在楼上
Up yonder.
我想你知道这位是谁了吧
I guess you know who this is.
我很快就回来
I’ll be right back.
我是你才不会来这儿呢
I wouldn’t be in your shoes…
除非是上帝他亲自来叫我来
if the sweet Lord Jesus came down and asked me Himself.
早啊 妈妈
‘Morning, Mama.
下楼去跟人家打声招呼吧
Just come down and say hello.
你听着
You listen here.
除非国会修改了宪法我不知道
Unless they rewrote the Constitution and didn’t tell me,
不然我还是有权利开车 – 这个当然
I still have rights! – Of course you do.
我不想 也不能接受的就是
What I do not want, and absolutely will not have, is…
厨房♥里坐着一个司机在那儿
some chauffeur sitting in my kitchen,
狼吞虎咽 而且还用我的电♥话♥
gobbling up my food, using my phone.
我讨厌这种事情发生在家里
I’d hate that in my house.
那埃迪拉呢
You have Idella.
她不一样 她已经跟着我那么多年了
Idella’s different! She’s been coming to me for years.
我们互不干涉对方
We stay out of each other’s way.
但我结婚时候的瓷器被打碎了
Even so, there are chips in my wedding china.
你以为埃迪拉跟你的瓷器过不去吗?
You think Idella has a vendetta against your wedding china?
别这么放肆
Don’t be sassy.
那时候买♥♥不起 我们就自己做
When we couldn’t afford them, we did for ourselves.
这样是最好的了
That’s still the best way.
“它们” “买♥♥它们”?
“Them?” “Afford them?”
你说的话就跟州长的一样
You sound like Governor Talmadge.
你竟敢这么说 我可没带任何偏见
What a thing to say! I’m not prejudiced!
你不觉得羞愧吗?
Aren’t you ashamed?
你说得很对
You might as well make the best of it.
在麦肯州的时候 我也认识一位叫埃迪拉的
I knew a Miss Idella once, back down in Macon.
真的吗?
You don’t say?
她还会唱歌♥呢
She could sing!
你到底想说什么?
What are you talking about?
我说的这个女孩嗓子很好
I’m talking about this woman had some lungs!
她一人就顶得上教堂的歌♥唱团
She’d be a whole church choir by herself!
是真的
I declare!
她也很胖
Fat, too!
胖得跟一个炉子一样
She was as big as that stove!
别跟埃迪拉聊天 她有活儿要做
Don’t talk to Idella! She has work to do.
你在这儿干什么?
What are you doing?
我在擦吊灯 夫人
Dusting the bulbs, Miss Daisy.
这是我见过的最愚蠢的事了
That’s the silliest thing I ever saw.
谁会在意这些吊灯脏不脏呢?
Who cares if lamp bulbs are dusty?
快给我下来
Get down from there!
快把梯子拿开 免得绊倒了人
Put that ladder away before somebody trips on it.
我走了 夫人
I’m going, Miss Daisy.
好的 埃迪拉 明天见
All right, Idella. See you tomorrow.
我也要走了 夫人 – 很好
I’m going too, Miss Daisy. – Good.
早啊 夫人 我在打理你的这些菊花呢
Good morning, Miss Daisy. Thought I’d see after your zinnias.
离我的花♥园♥远点
You leave my flower bed alone.
你车房♥后面还有一块闲着的空地
You got a nice piece of ground behind the garage that ain’t doing nothing.
我可以种上西红柿 黄豆
I could put in tomatoes, butter beans…
我想开垦菜地的话 也用不着你帮忙
If I want a vegetable garden, I’ll plant it myself.
你在那儿干嘛?
What are you doing?
我只是喜欢房♥间里挂上一张照片 夫人
I just love a house with pictures, Miss Daisy.
这样更有家的感觉了
It do make a home.
我不要你来多此一举
I don’t want you nosing through my things.
早上好 夫人 – 早上好
Good morning, Miss Daisy. – Good morning.
昨晚天气很冷吧?
It was right cold in the night.
我不知道 我睡着了
I wouldn’t know. I was asleep.
埃迪拉说 咖啡和清洁剂
Idella says we’re running short on coffee…
都快没了
and Dutch cleanser.
是吗?
We are?
是的
Yes, ma’am.
擦银器的清洁粉也快没了
We’re low on silver polish, too.
知道了
I know.
我这就坐电车去买♥♥
I’m fixing to go to the Piggly Wiggly on the trolley.
坐电车去 为何不让我送你去呢?
On the trolley! Why don’t you let me carry you?
不用了 谢谢
No, thank you.
那为何威尔顿先生要雇我来呢?
Ain’t that why Mr. Werthan hired me?
那是他的事
That’s his problem.
好吧 那我找别的事来做
All right. But I’m going to find something to do here.
离我的东西远点
You leave my things alone!
我要去购物了 埃迪拉
I’m going to the market, Idella.
夫人 这样不合适
Miss Daisy, it’s a shame.
你车房♥里有那么漂亮的一辆”哈森”汽车
You have this fine Hudson automobile out there in the garage.
威尔顿先生把它开来后 就一直没有开动过
It hasn’t moved an inch from when Mr. Werthan drove it here.
这一辆新款车可是保险公♥司♥赔给你的
That insurance company gave you a brand new car for nothing.
那是你自己的想法
That’s your opinion.
我觉得像你这么富有而高贵的犹太夫人
My other opinion is that a fine, rich, Jewish lady like yourself…
根本不必提着一大包东西挤在电车上
has no business dragging herself onto a trolley carrying grocery bags.
我会帮你拿的
I’ll carry them for you.
用不着
I don’t need you!
我也不想要你 还有别再说我富有
I don’t want you! And don’t say I’m rich!
我不会再说的了 – 你跟埃迪拉聊的就是这个吗?
I won’t say it no more. – Is that what you and Idella talk about?
在我这儿 我讨厌别人在背后议论我
I hate being discussed behind my back in my own house!
我在弗西街长大
I was born on Forsyth Street.
所以 我知道钱的来之不易
Believe me, I know the value of a penny!
我哥哥曾经给我带来了一只猫
My brother brought home a white cat once.
我们没有收下 是因为我们养不起它
We couldn’t keep it because we couldn’t afford to feed it!
我之所以成为一名教师
My sister saved up money…
全是我姐姐省吃俭用的功劳 否则我们一无所有